Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

potty training a shih tzu

Opeth519
February 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM
I just got a 2 month old shih tzu two days ago, and i don't know how to potty train it, it always pees on the carpet, i put newspaper around the floor, and keep it there... doens't pee, when i take it away it pees on the carpet, WHAT SHOULD I DO?... i've also tried taking it outside but (Canada), it's like -30 degrees celcius, and it gets really cold, what can i do to potty train it properly?

badger
February 12th, 2008, 12:42 AM
This is a tiny baby who will have lots of accidents. You have to be alert to the signs that he wants to go - beginning to squat down, for instance - and before he lets loose (gotta be fast), carry him to the area where you want him to pee. When he goes in the right place - even if you have to carry him there - give lots of praise, oh GOOD boy, oh GOOD girl.
You may want to keep your puppy in an area where accidents aren't such a big deal, the kitchen for instance. He is so small, depending on the size of your kitchen, you could make a 'playpen' for him, including the area where you want him to pee (you may even want to buy him a big plastic box - like a cat's litter box - and line it with paper).
Clean the carpeted areas where he has peed very very well because they tend to go back to places they have been before.
Just remember he is a baby. In a way, when he has an accident, it's your fault, because you didn't pick up on his signals. Patience, patience.

Opeth519
February 12th, 2008, 01:16 AM
ok thanks! this is my first puppy so i really appreciate all the advice, thankyou again!

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Take him outside as soon as he wakes up, after playing and about 10 minutes after eating. Wait outside with him until he pees and as soon as he does praise him and then bring him right back inside. As far as the cold weather you can put a little sweater or coat on him....he's not going to be out for that long.

If you catch him starting to pee inside pick him up, say no, and take him outside to finish and bring him right back in. Do not do this if he has already finished....just clean it up and do not punish or scold him.

bear the dog
February 13th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I have a 5 1/2 month old shih tzu. Watch your puppy for signs he/she has to go. We learned quickly that when Bear had his tail down and was sneaking out of the room he was looking for a place to potty. We still have accidents, but much fewer! Your puppy may exhibit different behavior, but will somehow let you know when he/she has to potty. I agree with everthing else said here. I got the same advice and it helped out tremendously!!!

Enjoy your sweetie! Bear is in my lap as I'm typing this. :lovestruck:

BusterBoo
February 13th, 2008, 12:33 PM
First, congratulations on getting the best breed around!!! (ok, so I am partial to tzus! :D )

As everyone has said, lots of praise! In the beginning, Puppy can go outside almost every hour....after eating, after sleeping, after drinking, after playing, even if it is just for a quick pee and back in. You could try training him with pee pads if you really don't want to take him out, but then when the warm weather starts, you will have to retrain him to go outside.

Good luck, don't forget.....lots of praise and treats!! Tzus are known to have a bit of a stubborn streak and some take longer than others to train. :thumbs up

TinaMcq
February 13th, 2008, 04:31 PM
My dog skipper scatches at the door when he has to go. I notice that he get hyper and becomes kinda hard to handle when he has to go outside. Just watch for the signs. He/she is still young and they need more time to learn what is expected of them. He/she will get the hang of it. Have fun!!!!