- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

Excessive drooling

February 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
On Friday night I noticed that Chloe was wet on her neck under her nose. I thought she may have been playing in the water bowl but that would have been unusual for her. I cleaned her up with some paper towels and went back to what I was doing. About a half hour later I looked over at her and her leg was now soaking wet. I was confused and just sat there for a moment trying to figure out how she managed to get her leg wet when I noticed water dripping from her mouth and onto her leg.
I went on the net to see what could possibly be causing her to drool so excessively and some ideas were poisoning, nausea or something stuck in the mouth/throat. I examined her mouth/throat and there was nthing that I could see. She had been with me all day so I knew she hadn't gotten into anything that may have poisoned her so I thought it may be nausea. She did have sardines with her dinner and I think the drooling started not long afterwards. I gave her a Pepto in case it was nausea wrapped in cheese but the drooling continued. It was late and she was fine aside from the drooling and I was at least an hour and half from an emergency vet so I watched her and the drooling stopped. The next morning she was back to normal. I thought I noticed that her jowls were swollen but I am not sure.

Any ideas?

February 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
All I can contribute here is that Lucky drooled because of nausia, Penny when there's any kind of food around, and Ava always drools somewhat when she's resting. I used to think it was urine until I started cuddling on the floor with her and she'd drool on me.

How is Chloe tonight? Did she eat normally? Is she drinking more than usual?

February 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Did you checked out her gums ? The only time Daisy :rip: drooled her gums were white .... but this was on her "last day". :sad:

Maybe Chloe got excited about something ? Like the sardines ?

February 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
she is fine now and has been fine since Saturday. I did notice an improvement before I went to bed on Friday. It came on suddenly and disappeared quickly. I remember a long bone in the sardines but I usually mash them up before I give them to the dogs. Maybe I missed it and the bone was stuck. I shared the can of sardines with Hunter and he was fine.

It was really weird

February 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
In my experience the more typical (i.e. not crazy emergencies, freak accidents, rare conditions or things of that type) reasons dogs drool are stress/anxiety (ex:both my dogs will drool if they have to pee really, really badly. One dog drools all the way through storms), nausea or stomach pains and food being around.

Kelly C
February 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM
A fish bone in the throat will definitely cause drooling but usually with mouthing or mouth open too. --Kelly

February 11th, 2008, 10:37 PM
wow glad she is doing okay... two things that came to my mind as others said were something stuck, or a tooth issue... glad she is back to normal :)

Dutchess' Human
February 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I agree with Pitgrrl. My hound, Scout :rip:, used to drool uncontrolably when he was scared/anxious. When I brought him home in the car from the humane society the first time, the first time I made him climb stairs, and many times afterwards.

Is Chloe a rescue/SPCA dog by any chance? You never know what has scared a dog with an unknown history at first (my Rottie is terrified of the beep on my george forman grill for some reason).