Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Excessive drooling

coppperbelle
February 11th, 2008, 07:06 PM
On Friday night I noticed that Chloe was wet on her neck under her nose. I thought she may have been playing in the water bowl but that would have been unusual for her. I cleaned her up with some paper towels and went back to what I was doing. About a half hour later I looked over at her and her leg was now soaking wet. I was confused and just sat there for a moment trying to figure out how she managed to get her leg wet when I noticed water dripping from her mouth and onto her leg.
I went on the net to see what could possibly be causing her to drool so excessively and some ideas were poisoning, nausea or something stuck in the mouth/throat. I examined her mouth/throat and there was nthing that I could see. She had been with me all day so I knew she hadn't gotten into anything that may have poisoned her so I thought it may be nausea. She did have sardines with her dinner and I think the drooling started not long afterwards. I gave her a Pepto in case it was nausea wrapped in cheese but the drooling continued. It was late and she was fine aside from the drooling and I was at least an hour and half from an emergency vet so I watched her and the drooling stopped. The next morning she was back to normal. I thought I noticed that her jowls were swollen but I am not sure.

Any ideas?

luckypenny
February 11th, 2008, 07:23 PM
All I can contribute here is that Lucky drooled because of nausia, Penny when there's any kind of food around, and Ava always drools somewhat when she's resting. I used to think it was urine until I started cuddling on the floor with her and she'd drool on me.

How is Chloe tonight? Did she eat normally? Is she drinking more than usual?

Frenchy
February 11th, 2008, 07:30 PM
Did you checked out her gums ? The only time Daisy :rip: drooled her gums were white .... but this was on her "last day". :sad:

Maybe Chloe got excited about something ? Like the sardines ?

coppperbelle
February 11th, 2008, 07:36 PM
she is fine now and has been fine since Saturday. I did notice an improvement before I went to bed on Friday. It came on suddenly and disappeared quickly. I remember a long bone in the sardines but I usually mash them up before I give them to the dogs. Maybe I missed it and the bone was stuck. I shared the can of sardines with Hunter and he was fine.

It was really weird

pitgrrl
February 11th, 2008, 08:39 PM
In my experience the more typical (i.e. not crazy emergencies, freak accidents, rare conditions or things of that type) reasons dogs drool are stress/anxiety (ex:both my dogs will drool if they have to pee really, really badly. One dog drools all the way through storms), nausea or stomach pains and food being around.

Kelly C
February 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM
A fish bone in the throat will definitely cause drooling but usually with mouthing or mouth open too. --Kelly

loopoo
February 11th, 2008, 10:37 PM
wow glad she is doing okay... two things that came to my mind as others said were something stuck, or a tooth issue... glad she is back to normal :)

Dutchess' Human
February 12th, 2008, 08:18 PM
I agree with Pitgrrl. My hound, Scout :rip:, used to drool uncontrolably when he was scared/anxious. When I brought him home in the car from the humane society the first time, the first time I made him climb stairs, and many times afterwards.

Is Chloe a rescue/SPCA dog by any chance? You never know what has scared a dog with an unknown history at first (my Rottie is terrified of the beep on my george forman grill for some reason).