Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

skunk breath

waterbabies
February 11th, 2008, 11:02 AM
We just adopted a new puppy Saturday from local animal control. She is about four weeks oLd and was found under a tractor last week after some horrible storms here in Tennessee. She is a very sweet little girl very playful and full of energy. One thing I would like to know...... Does anyone know what would be causing he horrible breath? When she yawns the smell will knock ya over!

krdahmer
February 11th, 2008, 11:13 AM
My guess would be teeth or diet.... when does she see the vet? You could always ask when she is there for shots etc.

And bless you for taking in the little girl!!:angel:

waterbabies
February 11th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Tge shelter here is pretty strict I guess because they want to be sure the dogs are with a good family but they give them all their first their first shots I have to take her back every four weeks for shots then again to get her fixed after that we can go to our own vet. I will ask them Saturday when we drop fdaughter off to work.
Her teeth seem pretty good I know she can tear up my hand when playing lol

julieV
February 11th, 2008, 12:10 PM
I don't know for sure but I think that when puppies have worms it can give them bad breath. I'm sure that after your pup has a vet visit and is dewormed etc the stinky breath will dissappear. Also sometimes when puppies are teething their breath gets a little smelly. Enjoy your pup and post some pics when you can:dog:

waterbabies
February 11th, 2008, 04:47 PM
Well after hearing that it could be worms or something I decided to go ahead and call my regular vet. The breath wasn't her only thing, she also had dry skin but i found a post on here earlier talking about that so I wasn't real worried but I thought what the heck might as well take her. Any way we went and saw him and yep she has worms. He dewormed her and gave me a vitamine to give her everyday for the next two weeks then take her back to see him again. He also said i don't HAVE to go through the shelter for her shots. He said as long as I take a form from him to them every two weeks that he can do all her shots and stuff so we are going to let him do it.

chico2
February 11th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Are you sure she is only 4 weeks old:shrug:that is awfully young,but thank's for giving her a chance at life:dog:

waterbabies
February 11th, 2008, 08:15 PM
No we weren't sure we were just going on what the shelter was telling us. The vet today said she was closer tosix weeks old.