Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat poops on the floor

KatChow
February 11th, 2008, 09:33 AM
My 4 year old cat has been pooping on the hardwood floors for about 1/12 years, just after moving back into our home after rebuilding it (Katrina). I have tried 2 boxes, no lid, bigger box, different locations, different type litter, more attention, less attention, different food, online remedies, yelling, rubbing face in it, pet repelent...nothing works. I took her to the vet and she suggested constipation, and to feed her pumpkin. Loves the pumpkin, still pooped on floor. Not constipation. Took her back to vet, and she expressed the anal glands and suggested that would help. No difference. Does anyone have any suggestions?:pray:

Kristin7
February 11th, 2008, 11:48 AM
My boyfriend's cat was having this problem - apparently she didn't like to share her box. Do you have other cats? We solved the problem by confining her to a room with her box, with no rugs (she was pooping on rugs). We also used this litter called 'Cat Attract'. I would recommend trying these things, and since your cat likes the wood floors, cover the floor up with a rug in the room where she is confined. Once she gets back in the habit of using the box, she can be let out into the rest of the house again. Another thing that might help are things like Feliway plugins (or other cat pheromone plug in), first in the room she is confined in, then once she is let out, in the room where she spends most of her time. Good luck!

sugarcatmom
February 11th, 2008, 08:48 PM
yelling, rubbing face in it, :sad::sad:

Never yell or rub a cat's face in it, the only thing that does is undermine whatever bond you might have.

Does she always poop in the same area? If so, have you tried putting a litter box in that spot? You can slowly move it to a more desirable area once she's in the habit of using it again. Also, Kristin7 mentioned Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract (http://www.preciouscat.com/) litter, which is a good idea and an excellent product. You can find it at PetSmart.

Kashi
February 11th, 2008, 09:17 PM
Our 8-yr old cat pooped on the floor for ages ! Drove me absolutely nutty, so I can fully understand the frustration that would lead to things like yelling, etc. Anger outlets, unfortunately, don't have much - if any - effect on the cats.

For us, what has helped to finally get Butterscotch pooping in her box is this :

- LOTS of Nature's Miracle to clean any spot of poop, not matter how minute / dry / etc it is.

- A second littler box, directly beside the first one.

- Daily to twice daily scooping of the boxes. She hates a 'dirty' box.