Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wet spot in bed?

pitgrrl
February 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM
I woke up this morning and there are a biggish wet spot in the bed. I really couldn't tell if it was pee or just the result of a dog having had a little lick fest in the middle of the night.

Bu let's say it's pee, could a dog leak pee in his sleep? Both dogs would rather do just about anything other than pee in the house, and if they did they wouldn't do it on the bed, so I'm a bit confused.

Streets did really need to pee this morning when I took him out. Should I bring in a urine sample to the vet? Or something else?:shrug:

jessi76
February 11th, 2008, 08:08 AM
not to sound gross or anything, but did it smell like urine? I would probably first assume it was a lick-fest during the night (that's happened to me as well, woke up to find a wet spot on the comforter, GRRRRR! I now have a rule of NO BATHING IN BED - my dog knows he has to go in his kennel to do that now.)

if there isn't any other "odd" behavior going on, I'd wait it out, see how it goes this evening, and if it happens again. if it does, and you determine it IS urine, a vet check may be in order.

in the meantime, I'd just keep track of things for today -make note of any odd behavior, note potty breaks, and make sure they are "normal", etc...

pitgrrl
February 11th, 2008, 08:23 AM
I did sniff it, a few times actually (I put that in my first post and then changed it. I didn't want to gross anyone out), but I can't tell for sure, it's doesn't have an obvious smell.

Neither dog is acting weird, or asking to go out besides are usual potty breaks. Their urine looks normal, their drinking habits aren't noticeably different than usual. As I mentioned, Streets had a really full bladder this morning, so maybe he just leaked some in his sleep?

Argh, I need to go to vet school just so I can figure these things out :laughing:

Rottielover
February 11th, 2008, 08:44 AM
Harley has a habit of licking where he sleeps, so I always wake up to that. LOL
If it did not smell like urine, maybe there was ac crumb there or something

hazelrunpack
February 11th, 2008, 09:16 AM
It certainly is possible for a dog to "leak" in its sleep. Girls with spay incontinence do so frequently. With our boys, wet spots on the bed are usually either from licking, or from a wet dream (:o yes, dogs get them, too, especially before they are neutered). Usually, given normal kidney and bladder function, if it's a leak of 'overnight urine' it's quite concentrated and has a very strong odor, so I think you'd be able to smell it.

I agree with jesse's advice to just keep an eye on them and make sure their urination is normal (both in amount and frequency) and if it's not, take in urine samples for analysis as a start and go from there.

Any idea which dog it might have been?

pitgrrl
February 11th, 2008, 10:08 AM
That's the problem, I don't really know which dog it was, so I'd have to bring them both in.
If it's pee, I suspect Streets since he did have a really full bladder this morning when I took him out, on the other hand, Basil is a bit of a licking maniac and has been known to just lick blankets for no apparent reason. It does look a little large for that though.

Rainy
February 11th, 2008, 10:17 AM
I vote probably a lick fest or sucky fest.Bostons are really known for that as well as pits.The size of the lick spots on my couch are huge if I didn't know better I would think it was pee.I have blotted with a paper towel a few times just to be sure and it was always clear.My son is always heard saying "no licky licky" and I know the dogs are slurping on the couch. gross:crazy:
Keep an eye out just in case though.........

Frenchy
February 11th, 2008, 11:15 AM
I'm voting for the drool too :p just wait and see .....

pitgrrl
February 24th, 2008, 07:20 PM
I'm almost 99% sure that the wet spot was in fact pee, as I've since seen a couple of dribbles when Streets is asleep. Very small, but still, pee.

I had a urine analysis and blood work done this week (both because of this and because he hasn't had blood work done in a couple of years, so it was time) and both came back totally normal.

I mentioned the leakiness to the vet and she didn't seem too concerned, but because I'm a maniac, I'm wondering if I should investigate any further or just assume he's become a bit leaky when his bladder is full?

hazelrunpack
February 24th, 2008, 09:00 PM
If it's bothersome, I believe phenylpropanolamine (PPA) works in male dogs like it does in spay-incontinent females. But if it becomes troublesome enough to consider putting Streets on meds, I'd for sure have the vet do a more thorough check before starting them. It would be a shame to be treating him for incontinence and end up with something else, like a full-blown UTI or kidney problems, because the signs were too subtle to detect during the first round of tests. :shrug:

Just a thought--he didn't recently hurt his back or slide into anything while playing, did he? One of our past dogs slid hard into the deck rail while playing one day and bruised his kidney area. He had trouble with incontinence for a while afterward (which is when he was put on PPA). It did clear up later and we were able to take him off the PPA totally. :thumbs up

pitgrrl
February 25th, 2008, 08:36 AM
Not spills or slips that I've aware of and he seems to move around just fine.

It's really not frequent enough that I would consider medicating, only one actual full leak and a couple of dribbles, each at least a week apart and both times after he'd drank a bunch of water (he has bad drinking habits, won't drink any water all day and then gulps back a day's worth in one drink :rolleyes:) and then gone to sleep.

I'm always just paranoid about missing something.

hazelrunpack
February 25th, 2008, 02:35 PM
Cole has a bit of a drinking problem, too. Everything checks out medically, but he tends to go on these water binges. :rolleyes: We just make sure his water supply is cut off once he's had his after-supper drink, and then take him out right before bedtime. :thumbs up

Dogastrophe
February 25th, 2008, 04:41 PM
We awoke to a Lucy generated wet spot on the bed a while ago. Lucy tends to clean herself very thoroughly and will leave wet spots. My wife put her hand into the wet spot (which is how we discovered it). Thinking that Lucy was just licking we didn't think much of it until we were hit with a nasty smell.

Seems our little darling decided that expressing her glands (Ewwwww .... :yuck:) while laying on the bed would be the decent thing to do. I was glad it wasn't my hand testing the waters. :D Did I mention Ewwwww .... :yuck:

Monty, during his last year, would often let a few dribbles of pee go, particularly when he was fully relaxed but decided to change positions. We tried him on a few meds to keep things in check which tended to work about 50% of the time.

Masha
February 25th, 2008, 07:29 PM
My parents' Dobey used to drip in her sleep... you could actually see her dripping urine while she was sleeping and she would wake up with a wet spot on her bed (or carpet, or couch... or wherever she was napping at the time). The Vet diagnosed it as incontinence (hope i spelled it right) and prescribed medication that she takes once or twice a week; It helped and she no longer drips or leaks.

Frenchy
February 25th, 2008, 07:35 PM
We just make sure his water supply is cut off once he's had his after-supper drink, and then take him out right before bedtime. :thumbs up

That's what I was going to say :o

rainbow
February 25th, 2008, 07:44 PM
This happened with Logan once about a year ago. He was sleeping on the floor and when he woke up there was a wet spot on the carpet. He looked at it and seemed to have a surprised look on his face. I mentioned it to the vet and she said if it happens again to bring him in but it never did. :shrug: