Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

To those who have a husky....

boosbe
February 10th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Hi all, just want some opinions on this one. My family (me , my hubby and 2 yr old) want to get a dog. I have been looking to adopt many different breeds and have been taking my time. The thing is that my sisters husky had a litter and she offered to give us a pup. I have never had a husky so I am wondering, To those of you who have had a husky do you think they are a good family dog? Any feedback would be great thx!!!:dog:

growler~GateKeeper
February 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
The Sibes I've had were great family dogs, however you must be commited to ongoing obedience training, socialization & LOTS and LOTS of exercise. The Sibe is a dog that needs to be inside with family, not left alone outside in the yard - they will get destructive.

poodletalk
February 10th, 2008, 08:34 PM
huskies make great pets, but they require LOTS of excerise, socialization and training.

If you have young children, do you have time to do all this?

Byrd
February 10th, 2008, 09:11 PM
I've had one too. Great dogs, but yes they do need a lot of work. They don't have good recall, they do need to be kept on leash, or have recall seriously imbedded into their mind from a very early age.

They are pretty quiet, and can be aloof, they're definitely not a one person dog. And the intelligence level... amazing!!!!

If your sister has a husky, she would be able to tell you about them as well. How is her's with your child?

rainbow
February 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM
I have a siberian husky now and had two previously. They make great family pets as they love company. They are very intelligent but can also be stubborn. They must never be let off leash as all they want to do is run and have very poor traffic sense. You also need an escape proof fence as I do not believe in chaining them up.

boosbe
February 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
My sisters Husky is amazing with my daughter. How many walks a day do they need? I have a fairly large backyard too. I also have the time to do this as I am a stay at home mom. I think my main worry would be the excercise. Can they be walked once a day plus playing in the yard?

SnowDancer
February 11th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I just replied to your other post indicating that we have an American Eskimo. When I saw this post earlier, I did not reply to it - but almost did to say that my guy's best friend - owned by the in-home dog boarder - is a Husky. They seem to have the same temperament, and my Eskie will alert and protect the Husky as opposed to his normal routine of alerting me or someone else that he "thinks" he needs protection. And they don't have WHITE FUR. But they do shed.

growler~GateKeeper
February 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM
Can they be walked once a day plus playing in the yard?

An adult should have around one hour of good walking per day.

Ford Girl
February 12th, 2008, 01:05 PM
My sister has one, and she's a great dog. Things to consider...never off leash, high prey drive, vocal, plus they get hot quick, so altho they need to be inside as part of the pack they need it a bit cooler to be comfortable. For exercise, they need lots of it, they are working dogs, so even putting a back pack on them or giving them a job helps keep the mind busy, they are willing to please, independent and VERY intellengent, this breed does well with a stronge human leader.