Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Siamese Kittens Help

formulafit
February 10th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Hi Everyone;

I have had Siamese cats since I was a kid and I'm now 44 years old. We have always had Seal Point Apple head Siamese and always loved my cats to death. We recently lost our last Siamese of 13 years to cancer and as time passed we decided to purchase 2 new kittens. They are again seal point Siamese and are 9 weeks old, born November 30, 2008.
As far back as I can remember all my Siamese weather adults or their new born have been so affectionate, warm, cuddly and would follow me around the house like I was there mother, miss me and cry when I was away or out for 5 minutes.
The new kittens we recently bought are unlike any cat I have ever had. They cannot be held more than 20 seconds and fighting to get out of my hands. They do not cuddle on the couch and or lay on my lap, they would rather be somewhere in the house alone and untouched. They constantly bite at our fingers, toes or any piece of skin they can find exposed. It has been so disappointing after having many cats from different breeders and knowing the Siamese traits and behavior for 44 years these kittens are a handful.
They are male and female, brother and sister. The male is terrified of a hand coming towards him to pet him or stroke his coat; he will back away and run as soon as he sees the hand. They rarely talk and the only time they actually make any sounds is when they are biting each other.
I'm so upset with the outcome of these 2 kittens and not knowing what to do.

Can anyone shed any light on this concern?

Thanks

badger
February 10th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Wow, they almost sound feral. Did you get them from a breeder or a pet store, in other words do you know anything about their background? It sounds as if they were barely handled.
I would begin by limiting the space they have to roam - without depriving them of their hidey-holes. Get a laser pointer and run them ragged; use fishing poles or toys on strings to keep your hands out of the way; throw paper balls, corks, anything crinkly. Avoid catnip for now, it will probably make things worse.
Do not let them bite you, if it happens withdraw with a loud NO. Take every opportunity to handle them, however briefly. It all adds up. If they'll let you, feed them by hand, maybe not the whole bowl but a few pieces, so that they associate you with good things.
They are so young and everything is brand new, give it a couple of weeks - I'm sure this will change.
Do you have a picture of the little devils?

growler~GateKeeper
February 10th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Yes, it does sound like they weren't handled as kittens or not handled in a nice way.

Kittens bite while playing....usually until they are almost 1 year old. It is also a defense mechanism.

Also wanted to mention not all cats are the same, not all siamese are going to be as vocal as your previous cats or as cuddly.

formulafit
February 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Thanks for your replies it helps. The kittens were found on a website for animals for sale and I bought them from a family. When I arrived to see the kittens the owner pulled out the couch from the wall and 3 kittens took off running to a hiding spot. I should have clued in right at that moment but I wasn't thinking.
Maybe they were not handeled but she did say that her daughter plays with them very often. Maybe the daughter had played with them maybe she had been hitting them over the head when they started biting.
One thing that just jumped right out at me, we have a cat toy box and it belonged to our beloved Sasha that passed away, the toy box is filled with cat nip toys, never even crossed my mind of catnip.

I will remove the catnip toys and did buy a laser lite yesterday.

http://www.formulafitness.ca/Kittens.jpg

badger
February 10th, 2008, 06:24 PM
AHA! Believe it or not, I find this quite encouraging. In a new environment, no longer goaded by tiny hands, they are young enough to recover their confidence and figure out that this is a much safer place to be, and their behaviour will show it. Just give them time, continue to 'invite them in' unconditionally (but no biting), dispense treats and ear scritches. You will be rewarded.

Consider them rescues, with their little 'issues', but nothing that can't be changed with love and patience.

OMG so sweet.

growler~GateKeeper
February 10th, 2008, 06:26 PM
when you go to handle the kittens be sure to move your hand from underneath - do not move your hand over there heads, slow movements, be sure they can see where your hands are coming from - no sudden movements

lay down on the floor & talk quietly w/positive tone of voice to the kittens - this puts you on their level instead of "towering over" them since everyone but a kitten towers over them

time, love & patience will help these kittens overcome their fears

OMG - too cute :lovestruck:

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2008, 07:08 PM
That's terrible how you found them. I hope the third kitty found a good home. It does sound to me like that might be the issue. Young kids tend to be a little rough with pets.

Your little guys are 9 weeks old and that's good because they are young enough for you to show them you will be gentle with them and take care of them.

And they are both just adorable!!!:lovestruck:

What are their names?

formulafit
February 10th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Thanks everyone for your answers and advise, I was so stressed out this past week with the results of these kittens. I did pick up all the toys filled with catnip and put them away. Took all the food off the floor that belongs to our oldest cat and the kittens have calmed down a little. I just finished feeding them by hand and the female took forever to come near me and eat from my hand but watching her brother eating she finaly jumped up to the couch and started eating without biting me and even licked my hand when done.
There names are Mesha and Nemo. I also balled up some paper and they seem to enjoy that more than actual toys. I forgot the rolled up paper as one time I couldn't afford toys and made what came to mind :D

growler~GateKeeper
February 10th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Success already :thumbs up keep doin' what you're doin'

hand feeding is a great way to show them you mean no harm

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I'm so glad you have had some progress. Putting away your other kitties things is a very good idea. Getting some things just for them may help them see your place as their home.

I've always read that the best way to get an animal to trust you is to have it take food from your hand. I think Mesha and Nemo will be making quite a bit of progress in the next coming week.

Good luck! And please, more pictures of these cuties.

formulafit
February 10th, 2008, 08:28 PM
I have been picking them up for the last 2 hours with more success each time and no biting. I haven't used my hand above there heads since and seems to work wonders. They have finally fallen asleep next to me, not on the same seat but closer than in the past.

http://www.formulafitness.ca/Kittens1.jpg
http://www.formulafitness.ca/Kittens2.jpg

growler~GateKeeper
February 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
:laughing: love the pic of them snoozing on the computer :cloud9:

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Awww, see they just needed a little understanding.

formulafit
February 10th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I can't seem to keep them off my laptop and they do make it do things I never knew windows did. So I just decided to heat up a blanket and put it beside me on the couch, they are actually sleeping next to me right now, most progress I've had since I got them.

BusterKitty
February 10th, 2008, 10:53 PM
So much progress! The members of Pets.ca really help:thumbs up

I guess they may grow up to be another one of those cuddly kittens!:lovestruck:

Love4himies
February 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
I can't add anything new to what has already been suggested but would like to mention that with patience your kitties will be just as loving as your other ones. Your kitties are beautiful:lovestruck::cloud9:.

loopoo
February 11th, 2008, 01:12 PM
glad you are making progress, every kitty is different and they just need time to adjust... they are adorable :)

formulafit
February 11th, 2008, 05:21 PM
:thumbs up

Thanks to all of you for the great advise. The kittens have slowed down on the biting with a simple strong NO. Removing all traces of catnip really helped in handeling them for longer periods. The female actually came into the bedroom today and curled up in my arm thinking I'm her mother started sucking on my skin and kneading with her paws.
The male is enjoying being picked up but only for a short period of time. Now if they are sleeping and I touch them they both start puring.
Time will tell and I'm sure they will be as lovable as our last baby we lost.

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I'm so happy to hear you've made so much progress with them!

My Kiska does that too. She'll lay next to me and knead at my arm as she purrs.

I have a feeling with just a little more time you will have your little cuddle muffins.:cloud9:

growler~GateKeeper
February 12th, 2008, 02:04 AM
great progress :thumbs up I love the kneading paws so cute :cloud9:

rainbow
February 12th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Mesha and Nemo are adorable. :cloud9: Glad to hear of your success with their naughtiness. :thumbs up I think we need more pics. :D