Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Need help with cat questions!!

jleberle
February 10th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I have two questions. First of all my 7 month old male cat has started urinating all over our house. He is scheduled to be neutered this coming week. I have heard that this should stop the behavior. Is that true? If he doesn't stop doing this, my husband wants to take him to the humane society for adoption. (He is ruining the carpets in our house.) Does anyone have a suggestion to stop him from urinating in places other than his litter box?

Ok, second question. I have heard pros and cons to having a cat declawed. Our cat doesn't scratch anything, but I have noticed that sometimes after he has been running around and jumping off/climbing on things his claws are a little bit bloody. I also sometimes find pieces of his nails around the house that have broken off. Should I get him declawed to prevent this from happening? I do trim his claws with kitty nail clippers, but this doesn't seem to help.

I would appreciate any suggestions!! Thank you!

Gibbons
February 10th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't recommend declawing your cat- they use it for defense, and some cats can get "weird" when they know they have no natural defenses other than their teeth.

My parents had one of their cats declawed and then never did it again. He got a horrible infection in his feet and had to go back to the vet and go on antibiotics. He still walks kind of funny from it, too, and it's been years since he had it done.

Our cat when we got him had broken nails, too. I've started trimming them back and haven't had any problems. Is it possible you're trimming them too far back? Is he getting into things he shouldn't that could be damaging his nails or that he gets stuck?

jleberle
February 10th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I don't think I am cutting them too far back. I read about clipping them before I did it for the first time and was afraid to cut them too far back. I had read that they could bleed if you cut them too short and was afraid of hurting him. I haven't noticed bleeding at all when I have cut them. They seem to be splitting on the sides. I will ask the vet to take a look at them when he goes in to be neutered this week. Hopefully she will be able to let me know if I am clipping them too short. Thank you for the advice about declawing! I have heard so many different things, but didn't really want to have him declawed, especially because he doesn't seem to have a problem with me clipping them.

As far as getting into things that could be hurting him, the main thing he does is jump from the floor into one of our windowsills. It is pretty high off the ground, and I have seen him pull himself up using only his front paws. I guess he could be putting to much strain on the claws and breaking them. Maybe I can put something there so he doesn't have to jump as far to get up there.

Gibbons
February 10th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I know what you mean about worrying about clipping too far back- first few times I clipped them, I watched him like a hawk for days after in case I did it wrong.

I'm wondering if your clippers may be dull. I went out and bought a better pair of clippers when the ones we had started splicing his nail- like with yarn unraveling, it would split and and sort of "shatter" when I cut it, and the split would move further back through his nail (when the started happening, I got our people-toenail clippers and re-did them so the ends were just blunt and not frayed, and it seemed to stop the splitting)

Maybe that's the problem?

julieV
February 10th, 2008, 01:14 PM
I just wanted to reply regarding the peeing out of the litterbox. Ask your vet to test your cat for crystals in his bladder or a bladder infection. I know quite a few people with male cats who had crystals and one of the signs was peeing out of the litter box. Your cat may need antibiotics and a diet change. My female cat used to get bladder infections and I always knew when she had one as she would pee out of her litterbox. good luck.

sugarcatmom
February 11th, 2008, 07:19 AM
Please do not declaw! It basically amounts to mutilation. Here are some links for you to read about why it should never be an option:

http://www.pawproject.com/html/faqs.asp
http://www.catscratching.com/

I don't know what the bleeding nails are about (kitten rambunctiousness??), but cats regularly shed their nail sheath, which is probably what you're finding around the house. Nothing to worry about.

As for the peeing, it should resolve with neutering. Check out this site for litter box tips, just in case: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

chico2
February 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
There could be several reasons why he goes outside the box IMO,UTI beeing on top of the list,but if he is going in to be neutered the vet can determine that.
Neutering will certainly help.
Another reason could be stress,I don't know if you punish him,yell at him,when he does his deed,but that will only worsen the problem.
Hopefully this can be resolved,I do not like to read animals will be dumped at HS,when there is a problem.
A cat that pees out of the box,more than likely will not be adopted,or if he is,will probably be shuttled from home to home:sad:
As for declawing,never,ever under any circumstances would I ever consider this evil deed,outlawed in most civilized countries as mutilation,so please don't,it might bring you a whole set of other problems:sad:

growler~GateKeeper
February 12th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I also sometimes find pieces of his nails around the house that have broken off. Should I get him declawed to prevent this from happening? I do trim his claws with kitty nail clippers, but this doesn't seem to help.

I don't think I am cutting them too far back. I read about clipping them before I did it for the first time and was afraid to cut them too far back. I had read that they could bleed if you cut them too short and was afraid of hurting him. I haven't noticed bleeding at all when I have cut them. They seem to be splitting on the sides.

The nails splitting is perfectly natural - the cats nails grow in a different way than ours, kinda like a 2 layer onion - once the nail has been clipped the outer shell will peel off to grow a new one. The claws only need to be trimmed a little bit. If his nails are clear/white you can see the most clear part on the very end of the nail is where to trim - about 2mm is all you need to take off just the tips. If they are not bleeding & the cat is not showing obvious signs of discomfort - you're doing okay. The vet/vet tech can show you how far is safe to cut. Please do not even consider declawing. A nice cardboard scratching box from the pet supply store will make a happy kitty.

krdahmer
February 12th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Everyone here has given you sound advice. The only thing I will add is the importance of properly cleaning the peed on areas to make them less appealing to him. Once a cat pees somewhere they are drawn back to these spots by their own scent, if you can eliminate the scent that may alleviate some of the issue. If it's carpeting, you need to use a steam cleaner or some really good enzyme pet odor cleaner. And do the spot a couple of times. I imagine though that having him neutered will solve this problem for you. And please please do not drop him at a shelter, if you must make sure you know that it has a no kill policy. I know that it can be overwhelming and frustrating when your cat is peeing in inappropriate spots, but 99% of the time it is correctable behaviour or a solvable health issue.

Oh and I have 6 cats, none of which are declawed. So I am also against declawing. :2cents:

:goodvibes: for you and your kitty!

14+kitties
February 12th, 2008, 10:25 AM
I think you have already made up your mind not to declaw. That's great!
As for the peeing.............. how often is litter changed, is it a big box so he has room to manouver, do you have more than one box (one for pee, one for bms), what kind of litter do you use, has he been checked for an UTI, is it possible he isn't urinating but IS spraying? It could also be as soon as he is neutured, or soon after, the issue will solve itself. All of these questions need to be addressed in order to find the answer.
Most cats don't like dirty litter. Even if it is scooped it still has the smell. If the box is too small he may not like it. Some kitties like space, man. :) More than one box if he is very fastidious. And yes, even the type of litter. My kitties hate the scented ones. They refuse to use it.
krdahmer also has very good advice about cleaning the areas he has already used. You need to kill his odour or it will continue to happen.

jleberle
February 13th, 2008, 06:14 PM
Bailey was just neutered on Monday. So far I haven't noticed him going anywhere other than the litterbox! The veterinarian suggested using a little bit of vinegar when cleaning the places he had gone in to keep him from coming back. We decided not to have him declawed. I felt it was kind of a cruel thing to do, and reading about it only made me feel stronger about not doing it. Thanks to everyone for your advice! It really helped us a lot!

duttypaws
February 13th, 2008, 07:40 PM
Bailey was just neutered on Monday. So far I haven't noticed him going anywhere other than the litterbox! The veterinarian suggested using a little bit of vinegar when cleaning the places he had gone in to keep him from coming back. We decided not to have him declawed. I felt it was kind of a cruel thing to do, and reading about it only made me feel stronger about not doing it. Thanks to everyone for your advice! It really helped us a lot!

just saw this thread nice to see its going well.. I had 2 indoor cats in the UK and they had their claws... we had no issues and they have never grown too long.. they use a scratch post (although on prefers the door!) but not a prob and the little nails around are just them shedding as far as I know :)

chico2
February 14th, 2008, 07:07 AM
That's great news:thumbs up
But do not expect miracles,he might still spray or have accidents,neutering is very important and should always be done,but it's not a cure-all for spraying.
I use Feli-Way plug-ins and have had great success with my spraying kitty.
Also,I am sure your kitty is overjoyed:cat:you spared him the horror of declawing:cat:

Love4himies
February 14th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Glad to hear you didn't get him declawed, it is just cruelty in my mind. Neutering may have eliminated his spraying issues, normally it does, however, for minority of males it is a learned trait and very hard to stop them.

clm
February 14th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I'm so glad you've decided not to have the declawing done. We have 2 floor to ceiling cat trees (cheapies bought at walmart). I rub catnip on them from time to time and put some on the 3 platforms on each tree and the cats claw away at that instead of the furniture. There's one in the master bedroom and one in the living room. I also have one of those things with the ball that they can't get out of a track that runs in a circle and a big round scratch pad in the middle. They claw away at that thing a lot too. I can't keep that on the main floor the dogs destroy it.

I hope he stops spraying for you. I've never had any problems with cats spraying in the house, but I've always had my males fixed before they reached 5 months of age.

Cindy

BusterKitty
February 16th, 2008, 10:43 PM
Read this whole topic and I'm very happy for you!:thumbs upNeutering and no declawing deserves a hi-5:highfive:

My friend got her cat from a family friend. He was declawed a while ago with no problems afterward(diseases, aggression, etc.) but I keep sensing that he wants his claws back. He would rub his claws against the walls. Since only his front claws are declawed, she still has to trim his back nails. He won't let her get near them though so they have to go to the vet. At least they only charge $15 per 2 paws.

I think I got a bit side-tracked there:sorry:Anyways, thanks for not declawing and neutering:D

rainbow
February 16th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Read this whole topic and I'm very happy for you!:thumbs upNeutering and no declawing deserves a hi-5:highfive:

I just read your thread and also say thank you for not declawing. :thumbs up

Hopefully the neutering has stopped his peeing problem. :fingerscr Was a urinalysis done to see if he has a UTI? If not, and his marking continues, I think you should have one done.

Also, welcome to pets.ca and we would love to see pics of your fuzzbutt. :D