Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My litter lining has worked like a charm!

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I've been lining my big litter box, the one in my bathroom and the one in the half bath, with heavy duty liner for a couple of months now.

I love it! It takes a little time to wrap it all up, but it's worth it to know I don't have to clean my litter box, but with some cleaner and a few paper towels.

No scrubbing!

My best friends husband works for a kitchen cabinet company. They threw out a lot of displays last week. I didn't catch him in time, but he said they are always changing displays, so he came over and measured the area under my stairs. He's going to look for a cabinet with a good top, so that I can put the other big litter box in there. I told him I needed something that looked like a piece of furniture, but was open in the back, so they can easily come in and out. I can probably put a little window on the side for them. And if it's big enough, I can try to get a little fan in there, so the air circulates.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Here is what my snazzy lined litter box looks like.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Other%20stuff/Linedlitterbox001.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Other%20stuff/Linedlitterbox002.jpg

Kiska looking it over
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Other%20stuff/Linedlitterbox003.jpg

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2008, 10:12 AM
Here's Vlad inspecting my work.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/ancientgirl/Other%20stuff/Linedlitterbox004.jpg

I still get some holes from their nails, when they dig and try to get the litter from between their toes. But since the liner is heavy duty, it's not too damaging. I think next time, I'll try getting the extra heavy duty liner.

To change the litter, all I do is take it and sort of wrap it up into this square package and slide it in a garbage bag.

krdahmer
February 10th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Ok I really really want to try that with my next change... coming up soon, but I was unable to find anything like that at the home depot and the people that worked there looked at me like I had two heads when I asked...:frustrated: What section did you find it in? I might call the bigger home depot in St. Catherines and see if they carry it. :shrug:

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2008, 11:56 AM
I found it in the painting section. I can't believe they couldn't find plastic liners for you.

What I got is called "Film Gard" Plastic sheeting. It's heavy duty and I got the 3ft x 50ft one. I find that the 3 foot works well to cover the width of the box, then I cut it to fit the length.

I believe I paid around $10 for this package, and the extra heavy duty wasn't a lot more pricey.

I don't know if you have a Lowe's close to you, but you might look over there too.

Let me tell you, I love this. I don't know why they don't make the regular cat litter liners like this. Mine go through those like it was made of toilet paper. This is harder for them to get through. Oh, and at least for me, I find that duct tape seems to stick better to the plastic.

LOL, it's not pretty but hey, it works!

Gibbons
February 10th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Maybe my cat doesn't use his claws in the litter or something, but I just use the cheap plastic-bag variety litter box liners, and seal it up like a plastic bag (which it is, basically, just weird shaped) when I change the litter. He's put a few tiny holes in them, but no moisture ever leaks through. I buy them in packs of 15 for $2.50 at the grocery store. I also love not-scrubbing, and he hates it when his box smells like cleaner (which means he just goes in the toilet, so no biggie there!)

ancientgirl
February 10th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Maybe my cat doesn't use his claws in the litter or something, but I just use the cheap plastic-bag variety litter box liners, and seal it up like a plastic bag (which it is, basically, just weird shaped) when I change the litter. He's put a few tiny holes in them, but no moisture ever leaks through. I buy them in packs of 15 for $2.50 at the grocery store. I also love not-scrubbing, and he hates it when his box smells like cleaner (which means he just goes in the toilet, so no biggie there!)

You're lucky. The ones who claw at it the most is Vlad and Oksana. Kiska does too, but her nails are small and she doesn't penetrate it much. But I used to buy the liners and they'd be shredded in less than a day. I was at my wits end and this was my last hope. Thankfully it has worked incredibly well.

krdahmer
February 11th, 2008, 12:55 AM
Ya my guys are diggers too. That's why I'd love to try that heavy stuff.

And really.... is there anything duct tape can't do?? :rolleyes: :laughing:

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2008, 08:51 AM
If you find it, which you should be able to, try the heavy duty first. If yours are heavier diggers than mine, then try the extra heavy duty. But it just works so well. It's nice to not have to scrub that cement like substance off the bottom of a litter box. You just throw the liner away and wrap that box up again.

Duct tape has to be one of the greatest inventions known to man. It can't be man-made. I say it's alien technology.

krdahmer
February 11th, 2008, 11:04 AM
:laughing: Don't tell Red Green!:laughing:

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2008, 11:35 AM
:laughing: Don't tell Red Green!:laughing:

Who's that?:confused:

krdahmer
February 11th, 2008, 11:43 AM
LOL... one of our Crazy Canucks...

http://www.redgreen.com/index.cfm?app=cart&a=menu

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2008, 03:25 PM
LOL, That's pretty funny. It reminds me of all of the Duct Tape books they have in the comedy section of the book stores.

Jim Hall
February 11th, 2008, 03:28 PM
you on;ly need two thingsd in this modern life
if it moves and is shouldn't duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should WD40

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Only a man would know this!:laughing:

dustybird
February 11th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Well I'm jealous...I wish I could use a liner but my furry goofballs love to eat any plasitc bag like material and duck tape mmmm yummy.

ancientgirl
February 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Do you think they'd go through the heavy duty stuff? It might be tough enough to withstand those little teeth.

dustybird
February 12th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Sadly yes I think they could. They are able to chew through heavy duty cardboard when they get the chance, and I mean the really thick stuff. Stixx has tiny needle teeth and it surprises me she can do it, Forest's teeth are more like a small dog, some day's I wonder if he's a dog trapped in a cat's body.
Luckily plasitc and cardboard seem to be the only things I have to hide(other than the typical hazards). Plastic bag material is like a drug/obcession for them, they just can't seem to help themselves :shrug: