Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

How do I keep max out of my guinea pig cage?

shelly75
February 10th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I have 2 guinea pigs and I use C and C cages with an open top becasue I am having a hard time finding more grids to make a top. Max has decied its fun to jump in the cage :wall:he doesnt seem to want to hurt them becasue when my daughter has them out for floor time he wont actually go near them he seems to only want thier hay and sniff around and as soon as I yell 'out" she jumps right out.

The cage(s) are 2 grids wide by four long its actually seperated in the middle becasue the guinea pigs dont like each other to live in the cage but they like "talking' to each other so I cant sperate the cages to move them to a different location and the size makes it hard to find the right size tables to place them on top.

any ideas on training Max not to go into the cages?

oh yeah Max only goes into one of the cages she seems to only like ketchups cage

PennyC
February 13th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I have many tricks to help your situation i need to know more info tho. Does your dog jump in the cage even with you there and watching? If so, Take a leash and bring the dog up to the cage, as shes about to jump or smell the cage give a very small tug on the leash and make a sshht noice holding your figure up to her, while she is standing outside the cage calmly reward her. Or change her set of mind... if you see her plugging about the cage, throw a set of keys to catch her attention. not a ball because you do not want to reward her for giong near the cage, all you want to do is distract her and change her set of mind. Once she walks away from the cage reward her.:thumbs up

shelly75
February 17th, 2008, 09:06 PM
Max does it when I am sitting there watching. I ended up making the cage a bit smaller (2 by 3) as well as getting Ketchup and Chewy to live in one cage so using the leftover grids I fashioned a lid that works.

I did figure out what it was Max wanted the food :wall:she only went in the cage shortly after I fed them and she wanted to eat the stuff:wall:

Now I feed them when my dd can take Max in her room and play for a bit while they eat