Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sorry I haven't posted for a while

writer45
February 9th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Hi Everyone:

Sorry I haven't posted for a while, but last Sunday night about 11:00 pm our beloved "Dusty Puppy" our constant friend and companion of 11 years passed away from a masssive heart attack. She was laying under the footrest of my wife's recliner where she always slept and she whined a couple of times, but by the time we tried to revive her it was just too late. My wife, Jennie and I are devestated...we couldn't stop crying the first day and yesterday was Dusty's birthday and today is Jennie's birthday. It has been a very sad week. This next thing thing I want your opinion about...we were so sad and empty without our Dusty that we desided we had to have another dog right away...not to replace Dusty, no dog could ever do that, but to fill some of the void and bring some happyness to our lives...that's not wrong is it?...I mean this soon. We had intended to get a purebred border collie we going to meet with the breeder on thursday, but we never made it to the breeder. We went to the humane society shelter on wed. and a puppy found us. A cute little bassett hound mix of 8 weeeks we named Cooper. My wife picked him up and he laid his head on her shoulder gave her a kiss and went right to sleep...we were in love instantly. He is so full of life and love. We are still so sad about Dusty, but we are able to laugh again and feel hope again. I just hope people don't think its wrong for us to adopt so soon, but we just had to have a dog in our lives.
http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/XkOUvzI8/1417200/1129355

John

Tommysmom
February 9th, 2008, 03:49 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about your loss:grouphug:.

Nobody can tell you how to grieve, everybody is different. Replacing a loved one so soon may seem horrible to some, and for others it is the only way to deal with the loss. There really is no right or wrong in this kind of situation.

I can't imagine ever coming home to an empty house... for me, it would make it much harder to deal with the loss of a furry member of my family. So I can completely understand your decision and it's probably the same as I would do in those circumstances.

I'm glad you have another doggy to share your home and your love. In my opinion, that's the best kind of tribute to Dusty - rescuing a pup and giving him a wonderful life and home.

Sylvie
February 9th, 2008, 03:50 PM
So sorry about your loss. I have been there and it never gets easier. No other dog can take Dusty's place in your heart.:sorry: :grouphug: But it is a big heart.:thumbs up So glad you have another furkid to share your home and love with.

There is no wrong or right time to get another dog. It is a personal decision. Please enjoy your new addition and share many pictures with us.

chico2
February 9th, 2008, 03:57 PM
So sorry to hear about Dusty :rip:sweet Dusty

But like the others say,there is no wrong or right time to get another pup,you followed your heart,in which Dusty will always remain.
Dusty is proud of you because you decided to adopt a needy lonely shelter-pup.
I cannot get the picture,but I am sure the pup is adorable:dog:

pbpatti
February 9th, 2008, 07:02 PM
You and your wife did what you needed to do. Fill the empty space that Dusty left. I believe that she directed you to the HS so that you could pass your love and hers onto a puppy that obiviosly needed you two. Dusty would be so happy for you for helping another furball. She has crossed over the
bridge at this time jsut for Cooper to come into your life for the love and affection that you can give. pbp

Frenchy
February 9th, 2008, 07:19 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss :sad:

There is no "time limit" and you wouldn't be replacing Dusty , you would be giving another dog a second chance ! :thumbs up

I did sent an adoption application to a rescue 2 weeks after my Daisy past away.

Baby Bear
February 9th, 2008, 08:01 PM
John and Jennie, sorry for your loss of Dusty Puppy. I agree with the others, that there is no right or wrong time to get another dog. Glad to see that the little Bassett Hound found you, lucky puppy.

we3beagles
February 13th, 2008, 08:22 PM
Only you can decide when is the right time to get another pup. Don't ever let anybody ever tell you it's wrong. You knew you and your wife were ready to love again. Dusty would be so proud you saved another life. Enjoy your pup and tell him about Dusty.

hazelrunpack
February 13th, 2008, 08:49 PM
So sorry to hear of your loss of Dusty :grouphug: But honestly, do you think Dusty would be unhappy to see you laughing again? They just want us to be happy...and Cooper is helping you!

You know what they say: A house is not a home without a dog! :dog:

Congratulations on your new addition! :grouphug: You have room in your heart for both Cooper and Dusty!

loopoo
February 13th, 2008, 10:14 PM
one animal never replaces another, merely just moves in to our lives and allows the heart to expand a little bit more... how beautiful that you rescued a dog when so many are abandoned, sounds like cooper is going to be so happy to enjoy all the love that you have to give him and he you.