Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Weird dog neuter question

Kashi
February 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I was just speaking with my father, who is a farmer.
We got to talking about Pugsley, and it came up that the dog is still intact and that we won't be able to afford to 'fix' him for a while yet.

Dad offered - only half jokingly - to bring up his 'ringing' kit that he uses on the calves.

This is basically a hard rubber ring that is placed high on the scrotum, above the testicles, which cuts blood supply to the scrotum. The scrotum withers and dies within a few days due to the lack of blood supply, and falls off.

He has seen very few infections in the calves, using this technique - and that's with calves out in the barn yard.

So, my question is - why would this be a bad thing ? Unconventional sure, but would it really be 'bad' per se ?

Or rather, why is this method seen as 'okay' for livestock, but not for pets ?

Don't worry - WE ARE NOT GOING TO DO THIS - it was all just talk - but it's food for thought, and hopefully discussion.

luckypenny
February 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Growing up on a farm when I was a child, this was pretty usual practice back then. However, there was a risk of infecton and I saw this too. IMO, not worth the pain nor the risk of complications. A neuter alone would cost much less than treatments for a serious infection, not to mention it's much more humane.

In addition, when animals are in any sort of pain, there is also a correlation to increased aggression.

All considering, I wouldn't opt for this method of neuter.

Kashi
February 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
No worries there, luckypenny - we are going to go to a local vet and have Pugsley neutered in the more traditional way for a pet. As I put in my original post, we are NOT going to 'ring' him.

But, having been a farm-kid and seen plenty of calves done, Dad's words made me think and wonder why it's something that would be bad for a pet.

luckypenny
February 9th, 2008, 01:09 PM
No worries there, luckypenny ...

I'm not :) . I've had this conversation with a friend (yep, I brought the topic up too out of curiosity) who sometimes neuters her male baby goats this way. Don't know if she still does it but she did say that there can be complications. Many farm vets in her area don't recommend this procedure anymore either. It just sounds so painful :sad: .

:lightbulb: I'll ask hubby what he thinks of it :eek: :laughing: . Nothing like a male perspective to give us some insight :D .

Kashi
February 9th, 2008, 01:17 PM
Male inside around here would see Pugsley left intact forever.

And that is NOT going to happen. We are not going to risk him getting out and to someone's female dog who hasn't been spayed, and bringing a litter of mongrel pups into the world.

luckypenny
February 9th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Do you have more than one vet in your area? Around here, many vets vary in the prices for spays/neuters.

I can't remember if you mentionned where you got your pup from. If it was from a rescue/shelter then they should do it for you I would think :shrug: . If you didn't get him from a shelter, then perhaps you can contact one in your area and ask them to refer you to a low-cost spay/neuter clinic or to a vet they use.

Kashi
February 9th, 2008, 01:40 PM
I've called about 8 local vets.

Neuter costs start at about $325 and go up from there.

Pugsley came to us through a classified ad on kijiji.ca so no shelter or rescue to help out.

And, because we hadn't planned on getting a dog until spring, we don't have the funds in savings yet to get him done right now. We will be doing that as soon as we get our taxes back though.

VanHull
February 9th, 2008, 04:50 PM
Hello!

I just had my pit bull neutered at Vanier College. For the neutering, vaccinations, pain medication and the e-collar, it was $195 total. (I mentioned the e-collar because I've noticed that most vets charge extra for those.) At Vanier, they base their pricing on the weight of the animal. My dog weighs 80lbs. I imagine your little guy weighs much less, therefore dropping the cost considerably. If you're interested, I'd be more than happy to provide you with the phone number :thumbs up Oh, I should mention that the reason it's so inexpensive is because they're a school and the student veterinarians assist with the surgery.

Purpledomino
February 9th, 2008, 05:08 PM
Well first of all I would think that ringing a dog would be a little more than "unconventional" and quite inhumane, painful, and cruel to a pet. Not to say this isn't exactly okay in my eyes to perform on livestock either, there are better and more humane ways of castration IMO. I have had my horses gelded by humane methods, and wouldn't think of ringing them if that were an option.

I know that alot of old time farmer types will resort to the methods that have served them, cost effective being a motivator...even though there are better and humane ways of doing things nowadays. I don't think that disregarding the animals well being and comfort is morally right to save a buck......but that is just my opinion.

If your pug/beagle cross is approximately ten months old and unaltered BTW, I hope you keep close tabs on him because he will breed if he gets the chance. I know you mentioned you don't want him producing more puppies.....please be careful and neuter asap, even if you have to beg :pray:,borrow :o, or steal :eek: that money.

Kelly C
February 9th, 2008, 05:12 PM
There's a spay/neuter clinic in Mississauga. Used to be near Dixie & Eglinton area. It's been a while since I used the service but I believe it can be found in the phone book. Over $300 would seem a little expensive for a male.

Kelly

Kashi
February 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
No worries about watching him. He is only ever outside on either a leash or tie-out as I don't trust our fence to keep him in itself.
Adolescent male dog + cedar hedge with chicken wire fence = puppies in the making.

He will be fixed (by a vet, not by "ring") in the near future.

VanHull
February 9th, 2008, 07:06 PM
Oops! I totally didn't see that you are from Ontario! I must have had my head in the clouds when I posted my first reply about Vanier. Sorry!

Kashi
February 9th, 2008, 07:24 PM
Oops! I totally didn't see that you are from Ontario! I must have had my head in the clouds when I posted my first reply about Vanier. Sorry!

S'okay - I'm not opposed to visiting Montreal at some point - but to take that trip to neuter the dog is asking a little much. Haven't been in that city since June 1991, and that was just a short stop on our way through to Quebec City.

want4rain
February 9th, 2008, 09:19 PM
holy cow!! thats expensive!! have you talked to the shelter abotu low cost?? maybe ask the local rescues who they use and how inexpensive you can find one for?? wow!!

-ash

Shaykeija
February 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
You should drive to Sudbury. I had my cat neutered for under 200.00. And he weighs almost 22 pounds...