Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm a new mommy

chico's mommy
February 9th, 2008, 08:15 AM
I just got a Teacup Chihuahua puppy yesterday. He is between 6 to 8 weeks old and I'm so luck to have him. I've had puppies before, but never one this young or small and they were past the potty training stage. Any advice on how often to feed him and how to potty train him? I've bought a crate so that I can crate train him and last night when I put him in the crate so that we could go to bed he just kept crying. I appreciate any and all help!!

Purpledomino
February 9th, 2008, 10:20 AM
Wow...congratulations on your new baby! (pics please:o) Hopefully he is on the older side of your estimation...a six week old chi should still be with his momma. Anyway, my advice regarding feeding a pup that tiny is that you should give many small meals instead of larger ones. Chis are so small and prone to hypoglycemia as in many toy breeds, you will want to keep his blood sugar from falling. Also, make sure he is eating a quality food, you can get recommendations and help in the pet food forum here.

Crate training is an excellent idea.........HOWEVER, I just didn't have the heart to do it for my newest Minpin baby. :o He is tiny tiny.........and next to me in bed suited us fine. He was happiest there with me (still is) and when the little dude got restless during the night, I knew it was time to take him to his pee pad.

If you haven't already, invest in an exercise pen. Restrict his freedom, until he is more trustworthy regarding bathroom habits. I would (and still will) give my little guy the run of the house/playtime for awhile AFTER he pees/poops in the right place. This would be his reward. And lots...I mean LOTS of praise!

Understand that you WILL be cleaning up after him, and it WILL take months to get it right. Neutering him at the appropriate age will also help, as he won't be inclined to mark your house! Good luck, and did I mention PICS?? :D

chico's mommy
February 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Thank you so much for your help. Yes Chico sleeps fine when he is with me. We took a lil nap today on the couch and he slept on me and was fine. I've also been told to get a clock that ticks and wrap it in a blanket and put that in the crate with him too and that it will help him sleep because it will remind him of his mom's heartbeat. The harness that I bought was the smallest they made and it does fit Chico, but he is able to pull it off. Not to mention that when I do take him outside to go potty he keeps walking over to me, lol. He hasn't gone poo poo yet but he has gone pee pee, but not outside. He went on his blankee. I know it is going to take time to get him potty trained, but I just don't know what to do about the harness now. I want him to get used to being on a leash so I may have to get a collar, who knows. But you did ask for a picture. Now it is really hard to get a good picture of him because he is so light in color that almost every picture I took washed him out. This is the best out of the bunch.

Thanks again for your help!!!

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f329/bbwinjaxfl/DSCI0214.jpg

Purpledomino
February 9th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Chico is about as adorable as they come! :lovestruck: I have tried harnesses with my little guys, and they are safer for their tracheas than collars, but they do tend to pull with them in my experience anyway. You are lucky that you live in a warm climate. I got my two pound Minpin puppy in December here in Alberta.....he's a bit bigger now, but not much. Needless to say, it is out of the question to try to get the little bald piglet outside when our temps have gone as low as -45 :eek:. Yah...we had some logistical potty nightmares here with all the dogs when it gets that cold! :frustrated:

corgpinmom
February 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
congrats on the new baby - It is very hard to house break a toy - I used to have a minpin lost her at 14 yrs of age - and was a battle all the time - My expereince with corgis is more vast when it comes to house breaking - and it takes till they are a good 6 mos to 8 mos of age before they get the idea completely and then they will have an accident every once in a while - but like potty training a child you have to be consistant.

Put a cloth in the crate with your baby that smells like you - not a shoe put a shirt or a towel that has not been washed - I tell that to all my families that adopt one of my babies - crate training is the best - when you but then in the crate and they stop fussing that is when you reward them - that way they learn that the crate is a good thing.

luckynat3
February 22nd, 2008, 09:47 AM
Hi Chico's mommy,

I too am a new mommy to a tea cup Yorkie! She is 12 weeks old and weighs just under 2 lbs. She had a rough start on the 6 hour drive home....3 siezures in the car on one more when we got her home, which we then rushed her to the vet who gave her gluclose and kept her on IV over night...it was quite the homecoming last Sunday. Thankfully :angel2:
KiKi seems to have made a full recovery.
She was not crate or potty trained when we got her.
I have a crate for her, which I put her bed in and a pen that surrounds the crate, with the crate door always open so that she has the freedom to go in and out to her pen. She has a little step up to get into her crate / bed and in the pen I have her food on one side and her "potty Pad" on the other...this seems to work great for her and she started using the "pad" right away. When she is free to roam the house, we have a "potty pad" in the living room for her and everytime she uses it (which is most of the time), she gets a treat and lots of praise. My plan is to slowly move the living room "pad" closer and closer towards her pen, so that eventually she will learn to only go "potty" in the one place.
She does make a mistake now and then, but most of the time she gets it right! Good luck with Chico who is adorable!!

mona_b
February 22nd, 2008, 10:56 AM
Can't help with the crate training,I never crated.

I just wanted to say what a cutie...:cloud9:

Also,please don't take offence to what I'm going to say.But just so you know,there is no such thing as a teacup.

Purpledomino
February 22nd, 2008, 12:35 PM
Can't help with the crate training,I never crated.

I just wanted to say what a cutie...:cloud9:

Also,please don't take offence to what I'm going to say.But just so you know,there is no such thing as a teacup.

Sure there is.....I have lots of them in my kitchen cupboard to prove it!
:sorry:

Amy P
February 22nd, 2008, 12:48 PM
Hi Congrats on your pup! He is adorable!!! :lovestruck: Our pup is not a toy size but he was only 5 weeks when we got him...not trained at all! We used puppy pads with a "house breaking spray" (made by the wee wee pad company). We only sprayed a very tiny amount in the middle of the pad. I made the mistake the first time and did a big spray the first time....:yuck: It smelled so bad I threw the pad out. Just the tiniest amount of the spray lured him to use the wee wee pad. We didn't have to use it very long either, I still have basically a full bottle left. Hope this helps! Good Luck :thumbs up