Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Seizures

corgpinmom
February 9th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I have 16 day old corgi puppies - This has been a tough litter - last night the boy started having seizures - one right after another - He was fine an hr earlier when I checked on them. Has been eating normal and scooting around. Was worried he had a surgar drop gave him nutra drops - didnt work - Took him to the emergency clinic - they tested his sugar - it was fine - the seizures just continued - the poor baby - The vet suggest euthanizing him because he was so young and that it was probably genetic - and becasue of his age was not much they could do - This was a health puppy - a nice round tummy who had been responding great - we did notice yesterday that he was having trouble staying on his tummy - like he was off balance - not sure if that was the 1st signs of trouble - I just feel so bad -I have never lost a puppy before and for him to have one seizure after another - any suggestions as to what could of caused this problem.

JamesO
February 9th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Siezures can often be controlled with medication, but it is probably a lifelong thing. Our dog had mild seizures all his life, but they were not serious enough to warrant medication. Your dog's may be too serious.

I think you have to talk to the vet and do what is best for the doggie. Put your own feelings aside.

corgpinmom
February 9th, 2008, 02:46 PM
I am feeling that maybe we gave up on the baby to soon - He had such a short life - I know doing what is best for the puppy is what is important - I feel guilty is all - could more of been done.

JamesO
February 9th, 2008, 04:45 PM
In your situation, I think you made the best choice with what information was available to you. I would likely have made the same decision, and, like you, I would still be wondering if it was the right decision.

Our dog was 18 when we had to put him down, and it was the toughest decision we ever had to make. It's been nearly a year since he left us, and I still keep punishing myself for playing God with an animals life. But, as humans, we can analyse situations and make decisions which are truly in the best interest of the animal. I think that if animals were able to make these decisions for themselves, they would be no different from ours.

Keep loving your departed doggie, but it is time to move on.

LavenderRott
February 9th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I think you did the right thing. Having continuous seizures like that can lead to serious brain damage. Since it wasn't blood sugar related, it was more then likely neurological or genetic.

corgpinmom
February 10th, 2008, 04:12 PM
Has anyone else experienced seizure in such young puppies - It has been suggested that there may have been some liver problems - The entire litter came 3 days before the 1st due date and all arrived with out the placenta - the 1st was stuck and had to be take - next came the little boy - the one that had the seizures at 15 days. Then came the 2 girls and lastly a puppy that was under developed - still had the intestines on the outside - which is how they develop - do not know at what stage the intestines are drawn in. So we lost her also. The three remaining appeared to be thriving until the boy started having seizures - I am still doing the what ifs - and did I do the right thing and what did I do wrong. Feel like I let him down in some way.:frustrated:

luckypenny
February 10th, 2008, 07:38 PM
If a vet can't tell you what went wrong, perhaps a reputable/responsible breeder could.

corgpinmom
February 10th, 2008, 08:35 PM
I actually talked to my mentor and log time corgi breeder professional handler after - who also owns the sire - and we are stumped and dumb-founded as to what happened. Was hoping a vet on this site might have other suggestions - We are not repeating the breeding and the damn is being spayed when she is finished nursing and recovers from all this.

Rottielover
February 10th, 2008, 08:38 PM
I am so happy to hear this, but I would also recommend the sire be neutered as well.

rainbow
February 11th, 2008, 01:49 AM
Glad to hear you are having her spayed. I also agree that the sire be neutered as well.