Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

16 year old cat weeing in the hall

kimevans
February 9th, 2008, 04:18 AM
Hi
I wonder if any of you have any advice.
My sisters 16 year old persian has started weeing/peeing in her hall. Thats where her litter tray has always been kept (under the stairs).
Sometimes its been very close to the tray (almost underneath it) like shes in the tray but not positioned right (she used to have a covered tray, but when she started this weeing my sister bought her an open tray in case she didn't like going in the closed tray anymore, she did try leaving the flap off first, but that didn't work either).
At other times its no where near the tray.

Shes been to the vet & been tested for things including urine infections & diabeties, shes all clear.

Is it just old age?

My sister has put down a very expensive solid oak floor last year & shes worried the wee will get into it (the smell).

Love4himies
February 9th, 2008, 08:26 AM
Normally when a cat starts urinating out of character it is a sign of an illness and even though there has been some work up done, just wondering if the vet checked for kidney stones or bladder stones. These can cause pain and blockages and may not show up in blood work. Persans/Himalayans are notorious for kidney issues.

Kitties who are in pain when they urinate/deficate in their litter box can associate the litter box with pain and will not want to use the box.

Some cats DO NOT like any change what so ever and will act out because of the change. You didn't mention whether the kitty litter brand has been changed, if so, that could be a reason.

kimevans
February 9th, 2008, 03:55 PM
No change to litter, my sister has been having trouble getting her usual one, so has been hunting high & low & buying in bulk.
But Sainsburys have started stocking it again.

Do you know how they test for stones, if they don't show up in blood tests?

growler~GateKeeper
February 10th, 2008, 01:42 AM
Did the vet do a urinanalysis as well as the blood test? This will better show any issues with the kidneys.

fussysmom
February 10th, 2008, 11:39 AM
welcome to my world!

our elderly cat started this behavior at around 15 years of age. she was examined and likewise considered to be healthy.

I attributed the change in behavior to possible worsening of eyesight combined with some arthritis, making it painful to crouch. our cat would get into the litter tray, dig, and then pee right over the edge of the box onto the floor (she didn't realize she was going over the edge). So we rigged up some vertical walls made of cardboard and garbage bags, so that the box is open at the top, but has walls on 3 sides. that helped alot. she pees standing up onto the walls, it drips down into the box - and everybody's happy.

she also refused to use a dirty box, so that could also be a problem..

good luck!!

sugarcatmom
February 10th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Maybe this link will be of some help to your sister: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Love4himies
February 11th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Do you know how they test for stones, if they don't show up in blood tests?

They can show up on xrays, but more accurate way is by ultrasound.

kimevans
February 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM
welcome to my world!

our elderly cat started this behavior at around 15 years of age. she was examined and likewise considered to be healthy.

I attributed the change in behavior to possible worsening of eyesight combined with some arthritis, making it painful to crouch. our cat would get into the litter tray, dig, and then pee right over the edge of the box onto the floor (she didn't realize she was going over the edge). So we rigged up some vertical walls made of cardboard and garbage bags, so that the box is open at the top, but has walls on 3 sides. that helped alot. she pees standing up onto the walls, it drips down into the box - and everybody's happy.

she also refused to use a dirty box, so that could also be a problem..

good luck!!

My sister keeps the box super clean.

Sometimes she gets in, but doesn't seem to realise her bum is still over the edge.
Other times its been nowhere near the box.

I've passed on all the suggestions & said to go back to the vet & ask about more tests.

THANK YOU