Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog Neuter

Cypress
February 8th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Hi, I have a question regarding vet costs (we are in Calgary). We have not had a dog in this city before, so went with a vet referal from friends, however, I am wondering how reasonable our vets' prices are. Juno just had his third (and last) set of puppy shots. I paid $122 for this set (and about the same for the other two, so about $350 total) which included puppy vaccines and rabies. I also got a quote for a neuter and it was for $446? I am not that attached to this vet, so I will call around next week, but maybe that is the going rate here?

Thanks, I will post new pics of Juno soon, he is growing up and we have started puppy playtime and puppy training classses.

Cypress
February 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hmmm, no Calgarians around I guess. I would appreciate knowing what people pay in bigger cities across Canada.
Thanks.

BusterBoo
February 9th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I am in Ottawa and I don't think I paid that much for Buster's neuter. I think it was around $200 - $250. As for the shots, I got a package deal because I had two dogs at the time, and have been with my Vet for quite a while. I am not sure but, doesnt' the cost of a neuter go with the size of a dog? It costs more to anesthatize (sp??) a bigger dog. Buster is a tzu/bichon, so that could be why I didn't pay as much

Shop around, but make sure you are comfortable with the Vet you chose!

albertahorsegal
March 20th, 2008, 11:04 PM
i used to live in calgary. vets there charge STUPID prices, but they can get away with it, so why not. i would recomend, if you can, either call around, or go somewhere else. a smaller town or even smaller city like airdrie. its always cheaper outside of the city. where i work, in the middle of nowhere(lol) a neuter costs about between 150 and 230, depending on the weight of the animal. dont be surprised if you dont find anything cheaper in calgary. good luck though :D

Chibi
March 20th, 2008, 11:14 PM
Neutering my baby is gonna cost me about 125$. I'm in Lethbridge, 2 hours south of Calgary. If you want the name of the vet, I'd be happy to get you in touch.

badger
March 21st, 2008, 08:43 AM
Compared to inner city Montreal, that is a ridiculous price for a snip. I realize dogs are more expensive than cats but anywhere above 200$ strikes me as high. I bet the vet made a tidy profit on those vaccines as well. I agree with the others, look around for something more reasonable.

Longblades
March 21st, 2008, 11:56 AM
I expect, in central Ontario, that I will be paying about $250. In fact I know that is what it will cost because I asked around when my PREVIOUS Vet wanted $270 and strongly suggested I go for a full blood panel work-up that would bring the cost to over $600.

Edited to add: that's if I do it at all in light of the possible risks highlighted here http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49573

and here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=49651

Nicoledr84
May 24th, 2008, 06:32 PM
Neutering my baby is gonna cost me about 125$. I'm in Lethbridge, 2 hours south of Calgary. If you want the name of the vet, I'd be happy to get you in touch.

Hi Chibi, I'm a first time Min Pin owner myself and my hubby and I just heard word from the vet that our little 3 pound 9 week old baby is going to cost 280 before tax to be neutered. Then they add of course with any neccessary lab work and with IV and all the other things they recommend it'll land us at 450 before tax. Would love to hear where you go in Lethbridge because we are near Medicine Hat and we'd gladly make the drive to Lethbridge for this surgery. Thanks for any info :)

Nicole

shane 123
May 24th, 2008, 07:56 PM
A neuter around Edmonton costs about $250 taxes included. My friend justhad her Shiba Inu neutered, it's a 16 month old dog. I can't remember where she took it, but somewhere in Edmonton cause that's where they live.

Kashi
May 24th, 2008, 09:39 PM
We're in Ontario.

Just had our Pugsley neutered (he's a year old, and 22 lbs)

Neuter : $150
Microchip : $50

We passed on the blood work, it was going to be about another $50.

And anything that would be added - IV fluids, pain meds, etc - would add to the cost as well.

Dr Lee
May 24th, 2008, 09:42 PM
The neuter or spay surgery is an important decision and we hope that it is the only surgery he or she will every need in their lifetime. Therefore I recommend that you seek out the best - in a veterinarian whom you trust and feel practices high quality medicine and compassion. Unfortunately you get what you pay for. Yes there is demographics involved but in driving distances those should be negligible.

There is a lot that goes into a neuter and spay. As some people have mentioned there are a lot of 'options'. This can be deceiving. For example, my hospital required blood work, catheter, high quality suture supplies, laser and pain medication because we feel it is the best. We train our staff to explain this when they are giving out quotes instead of just saying an amount. But likely the veterinarian that states the price with no options and then explains the 'extra' costs once you come in is going to seem a lot lower on the phone. It is important to ask what is included, otherwise you will end up with a wide range of prices but not a clear understanding of what you are getting for your money.

What about these 'extras' anyways?!

Blood work.
Yes, most of the time this comes out normal as can be. However every year I have several patients whose surgery gets post poned due to lab value changes on routine young spays and neuters. I have diagnosed congenital kidney and liver diseases, subclinical infections, anemias and ricketssial diseases on 'healthy appearing' pets coming in for spaying and neutering.

Catheter and fluids.
This is the most important one in my mind. The purpose of the catheter is to 1) provide electrolyte, pH balanced fluid intravenously during the operation to protect the system and 2) provide an instant access to the venous system in case of an emergency. There was a study a few years back that took 6-8 month old dogs and anesthetized them for 45 minutes. It was noted that without the catheter there was a group of dogs whose blood pressure dropped with the normal anesthesia to a level that lead to irreversible kidney disease. Since it takes 65% loss to show up on blood work and clinically - the 2-4% changes would never be known. So yes there are clients that leave with a cheap spay and perhaps some minor kidney loss in their pet that they will never know.

Suture materials.
There are two basic types of dissolvable sutures - those that dissolve enzymatically and those that dissolve by hydrolysis. Enzymatic sutures such as chromic gut are inexpensive and dissolve by causing tissue reaction (it is harvested bovine serosa which is why many countries have banned its use - USA and Canada have not). Sutures that dissolve by hydrolysis - basically dissolve by patient body water content. This process is passive and can be done without inflammation. Inflammation is painful. Occasionally these sutures, such as vicryl and monocryl, do cause some reaction but it is usually far less than the enzymatic sutures.

Induction and anesthetic agents.
The safer medications are often more expensive.

Laser or steel?
Instead of just cutting the tissue, CO2 lasers help seal the lymphatics, blood vessels and nerves which leads to less inflammation, less bleeding and less pain. Subjectively the healing is faster. I will refrain from going on and on about how great lasers are (but they really are wonderful!)

Post operative pain medication.
It actually makes me sick to my stomach to know that there are some veterinarians out there that offer ovarianhysterectomies without pain medications. Can you imagine undergoing an ovarian hysterectomy and your doctor suggesting you go without any pain meds to save costs? Luckily there are less and less veterinarians that believe that pain medication is optional. However are they using single agents or are they utilizing multimodality pain protocols to help minimize the discomfort?

I think that I should have hit most of the basics. My recommendation is to find a veterinarian that you feel focuses on top of the line care and compassion. If this the veterinarian that you want to come to your dog's rescue when there is a problem then she or he is likely the right candidate to take care of this very important surgery. If it is me having the surgery - I want the doctor that is going know what they are doing and cares. That would be an extra $80-90 well spent. :pawprint: