Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Do dogs know time???

crazydays
February 8th, 2008, 06:01 PM
I heard that when you leave your dog it doesn't know if you have been gone 15 minutes or 8 hours. Is this true? I am thinking that I feel guilty when I am away too long and think they must be bored or anxious for me to get home. If this is true then it blows my thinking right out of the water. Does anyone know whether this is true or not?? Thanks

dmc123
February 8th, 2008, 06:05 PM
No expert here, but I wonder too because there are just as excited if I work half a day or a whole day when I get home - but they do seem much more excited if I was gone a week or so travelling for work.

I do know mine can tell time - as in what time of day. When we switch back and forth on daylight savings time - Delaney bugs us to death when it come dinner time and she is not being fed...lol

Diane

Masha
February 8th, 2008, 08:12 PM
They can defitily tell time (i think... :) )

My parents' Dobey gets fed mornings and at 6 in the evening. If its 6:05 and she isnt fed yet, she will find you wherever you are and will stand and stare at you. If its 6:15 and she isn't fed, she will bark at you :) She knows exactly what time dinner arrives....

crazydays
February 9th, 2008, 07:57 AM
I so agree with you both- dogs know the clock better than anyone. Both my dogs are a constant reminder that things must occur at certain exact times in the day- like meals or going to the park or time to go for a nap!
My question is (there probably isn't an answer) do they know that you have left left them 15 min verses 8 hours? Do they know when it has been "a long time"? My 2 go just as beserck over being gone a hour verses 5 hours.

joeysmama
February 9th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Cooper is always happy to see us but if he's been alone for a longer length of time he's always a little extra excited. Maybe not excited--almost relieved and he follows us a little more closely if we've been gone 3 or 4 hours than he does if I've only just run to the post office. Like he's really happy not to be alone anymore.

Longblades
February 9th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I think they do. Ours, and the cats, are happier to see us if we've been away longer. A very long stay away, for instance a week of vacation and they are either boarded or a friend comes in, and they are frantic to see us.

Tommysmom
February 9th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Mine can certainly tell time! Tommy knows that we work for about 8-9 hours. We always work different shifts, and hubby comes home at lunch, but no matter what time he started Tommy knows when it hits around the 8 hour mark and starts getting restless and looking at the door. He just KNOWS that daddy's been gone for the right number of hours and should be home now, I have no idea how he does it! I know he's not picking up the vibes from me, because if hubby's working a late shift I usually just fall asleep on the couch and Tommy will wake me up with his pacing by the door, lol... and he's usually accurate within about 15 minutes or so.