Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

German Shorthaired Pointer losing fur on tail

Agilityrocks
February 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Hi Board
This is my first post, I was wanting input and suggestions as to why my 9 year old GSP dog with his docked tail is losing hair on the top 2-3 inches of his tail. He also has lost a lot of fur on the rib portion of his belly. He is a dog that likes to sleep under the bedcovers so he is quite warm all the time. He also waggs his tail under the covers and my husband things that he is rubbing the hair off. I am not so sure.
Can anyone give me another idea? I don't want to take him to the vet if he is just rubbing off the fur. When he slides out from under the covers he may be rubbin off that belly first.

Thanks for all your help forum.
Agilityrocks, NS Canada

luckypenny
February 8th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Welcome to pets.ca Agilityrocks :).

I don't think rubbing on a soft surface such as a bed would cause so much fur loss, especially on his tail :shrug: . Do you use anti-parasitic meds at all eg. Revolution, Advantage Multi, etc? Perhaps it could be a type of mange? What does the skin look like where there's fur loss?

hazelrunpack
February 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM
I agree with LP--I think it would take an awful lot of rubbing on cloth to result in bald spots, Agilityrocks. How large an area on the belly is losing hair?