Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog has uncontrollable urination after neutering

jaymode
February 7th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Hi,

My dog was neutered 2 days ago. Since then he has been drinking lots of water and also having trouble controlling urination. Last night, he peed in his own bed. I am pretty sure he didn't even realize it because he also peed on himself while he was laying in bed:sad:.

The night before he pee'd in the floor. He has never done this before. Normally he could hold it all night long. Last night we even tried to restrict his water intake before bed; but that did not work.

The dog is about 7-8 months old and is a lab mix. Has anyone else had similar experiences after neutering?

Love4himies
February 8th, 2008, 06:31 AM
I would call the vet back who performed the operation. I have only had cats done and have not had any problems at all.

jaymode
February 8th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Just an update:

I called the vet yesterday and was told that it is possibly a urinary tract infection from stress or inflammation pressuring the bladder. The vet told me to try to wait it out and see if it persists.

dustybird
February 8th, 2008, 10:08 PM
If it's not a bladder infection thing it could be similar to spay incontinence that female dogs get. Doesn't happen in males often but can happen. A friend of our jack russell had it after he was neutered and the vet put him on some type of steroid pills(can't remember the name). They started on a high dose and slowly dropped it down and in a few weeks he was back to normal. Can't remember why it happens or exactly how the steroids work I think they help to make the muscle in the bladder or the wall of the bladder strong again(see I really can't remeber).

Anyway maybe ask if it's something similar spay incontinence.