Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doggy Depression....natural remedy help?

Lilly66
February 7th, 2008, 09:14 AM
We have a 2 year old male Yorkie. We got him through a friend who didn't have time for him who got him through a friend who bought him at a pet store after noticing he hadn't been purchased after being there almost 6 mos.

We also have a mix breed female (terrier/lahpso?) who's about 9 years old that we rescued.

Both dogs got a long well at the get go and played often but I think the Yorkie is now depressed. He mopes around a lot, sometimes stands in front of doors and walls and stares, is very clingy, and is not playing with the older dog anymore. He eats and drinks fine however and seems to have normal voiding functions.

I was recently laid off work and don't have much (any) money for vet tests, etc. I am hoping to try something natural for now so therein lies my main question:

Does anyone have a natural remedy for depression?

Thank you all for your time - I am a newbie and tried a search but didn't find any post for a natural or herbal remedy. I hope someone can help me as I feel so sad for this little guy.

Lilly66

jessi76
February 7th, 2008, 09:24 AM
Bach Remedies. (there are many more than just 'rescue remedy')

there are even a few books on the subject - and using them with animals.

good luck!

hazelrunpack
February 7th, 2008, 01:31 PM
Has there been some recent emotional trauma to the dog that makes you think he might be depressed? If not, he may be in pain or not feeling well. The symptoms you describe are consistent with that. I really do think you should try to work out a payment plan with your vet and have him looked over. It could be something much more serious than depression. :shrug:

CearaQC
February 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM
Those kinda breeds were used as rat hunters at one time.

Maybe you can get something that smells like a rodent? No idea how to do that though. :shrug: Maybe one of those mechanical cat mouse toys that you wind up? Only use it during supervision of course to make sure the dog doesn't tear it up and swallow parts.

Maybe put a mechanical mouse in a hamster exercise ball?

Just a thought... but I think perhaps the best way to beat doggie blues is to engage the breed in the activity they were originally bred to do before they became ultra domesticated and lost their doggie job.

Classical music might help, or maybe some essential oils. I know with Sweet Orange essential oil, we put it into the water kettle that sits on top of the wood stove and it permeates the house. Peppermint too. And boy do we ever feel mentally alert. But not sure if that will help a canine. :shrug:

Go for walks, explore new places. Maybe take it to a doggie day care where it can play with similar size dogs.

Tommysmom
February 7th, 2008, 05:44 PM
I would be very cautious about calling it depression before ruling out any physical health issues... doggies don't just get depressed for no reason the way humans do. If this is a sudden change in behaviour he really should see a vet; I understand about the money, but some vets can be quite good about helping out with payment plans or reduced costs - since you already had a dog prior to this, your vet obviously knows you and might be able and willing to cut you a break. Often lethargy is a symptom of a doggy not feeling well, and getting it checked out early can be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Lilly66
February 8th, 2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the responses...

I am going to take him to the vet today and I'll let you all know what I find out.

There has been no change to our household at all which is why I was concerned. Yesterday my daughter told me he was in her room standing in front of the mirror kind of weaving back and forth a bit and stood there just staring at it for a long while. That's not normal and something is wrong!

I'll let you all know how he is and thanks again for the input - I really appreciated all of your concern!

Lilly66

Lilly66
February 9th, 2008, 01:32 AM
Went to the Vet - Bial test comes back Monday but after preliminary test results the Doc is pretty sure about the diagnosis...

Hepatic Encephalopathy- can't pronounce it but he's going on antibiotic treatment starting tomorrow which he will continue taking for life. The only other treatment would be surgery but that's not an option for us right now and there's no guarantee with surgery.

Anyone have any experience with this? He's very disoriented tonight and acting so strange - I wish there was something I could do for him now. Although he doesn't seem to be in pain, he seems so confused.:sad:

Lilly66

gomez
February 9th, 2008, 01:48 AM
Hi, I have no experience with the disease, but just wanted to say good on you for taking your little guy to the vet...:thumbs up

I hope the antibiotics are useful and help him be more comfortable... and maybe he should get an extra cookie tonight!

Tommysmom
February 9th, 2008, 07:58 AM
I don't know anything about that either... but hopefully the antibiotics will help and your dog will be back to normal again. Poor little guy, at least you know what it is now and treatment is starting! I vote for an extra cookie - or two or three- too, and big hugs for both of you going through this:grouphug:.

Lilly66
February 11th, 2008, 09:01 AM
He's been on the antibiotics since early Saturday and he seems to be back to his happy self! I would have given him extra treats but any protien will cause havoc on his liver so just extra love will have to suffice for now.

He's also on a low protien food and a laxative which helps him keep pooping the bad stuff out. All three (antibiotics, laxative, low protien food) will be for life.

I'm so happy he's running around with his tail (or nubbin) wagging again! He seems to be okay for now. The Bial Acid test results were scary - normal results after a high protien meal would be 25 - he had a result of well over 300!

Again, if there is anyone who has experience with the long term prognosis of this liver problem, please let me know what you experienced and what I might expect in the years to come - or "how many" years to come I can expect.

What is amazing to me were the symptoms - they were SO very strange! Walking around in a daze, bumping up against the wall and standing there staring into space. Friday night he went outside w/out me knowing and stood in the rain for what must have been a good 10 mins cuz he came in looking like a drenched rat, shivering. Poor little guy :sad:

Thanks again to everyone for your thoughts and advice.

hazelrunpack
February 11th, 2008, 09:23 AM
I'm glad he's feeling better! :grouphug: I've got no experience with the disease, either, but if you start a new thread in the health forum and use Hepatic Encephalopathy in the title, you may find that some of the other members can help you out!

Good luck to you and your little yorkie! :goodvibes: