Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Concerned parent

scrum949
February 6th, 2008, 05:02 PM
Hello to all,

I am new to this, so please bear with me. I am a pet owner (50+ years) and I love 'em all. Even more so when they aren't doing so well.

We have a miniature Dachshund that was diagnosed with Valley Fever (coccidiomycosis) some years ago and has been on Fluconozole for most of that time. Recently, we were advised by a new vet to take her off of the medication and did so. She has been experiencing what appear to be psychomotor seizures/events ever since. Is it possible that the Valley Fever has remanifested and is causing this, or could it be a reaction to taking her off the medication? Just today she had what could be described as a Grand Mal event and it lasted 30 minutes, as opposed to the normal 10 seconds. We're very worried about our 6-year old Minnie. Any ideas?

chico2
February 6th, 2008, 05:16 PM
I don't know if it is the same as in humans,but I have an epileptic son and if he had 30 min seizures,they would very likely cause brain-damage.
I am really sorry to hear about little Minnie,but if this is what happens,should she not be back on the meds:shrug:
I forgot to say,Welcome To Our Forum!!
I am sure you'll get better answers,if you stick around a while.:fingerscr

hazelrunpack
February 6th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Hi, scrum949. Welcome to the board. I'm sorry the circumstances aren't better. :grouphug:

I don't have any experience with coccidioidmycosis, but I found this snippet online at http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB/Proceedings/Pr05000/pr00203.htm:

Treatment

Coccidioidomycosis is usually treated with one of the oral azole drugs (ketoconazole, itraconazole, or fluconazole) for a minimum of eight to 12 months, and sometimes much longer or indefinitely. Amphoteracin B is not quite as effective but can be used in animals that do not tolerate oral azole drugs. Preliminary evidence indicates that lufenuron, a chitin synthesis inhibitor licensed for control of fleas in dog and cats, may be an effective treatment when given daily (rather than monthly as for fleas). Regardless of treatment, relapses are common even after many months of apparent remission, especially when bone is involved.

So, if you care to trust the internet, it looks like relapses do occur frequently. Why did the vet recommend that you take your dog off the Fluconazole?

Seizures show up on a list of serious but rare side effects for Fluconazole, but I couldn't find anything specifically listing seizures as a danger while weaning off Fluconazole. What does your vet say about the seizing?

I hope your dog is better soon! :fingerscr