Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Advice on diet for post-op cat - thanks!

beanychick
February 6th, 2008, 02:57 PM
Hi everyone! Has anyone experienced this before??
I have a gorgeous Main Coon who has been through a terrible time - had a huge cyst on his neck which had infiltrated and had caused pressure on his brain. They thought it was cancerous but have found out today it is a "seroma" possibly also infecting a little bit of bone. He is on an aggressive regime of antibiotics, the vet has been amazing. I wonder if there is anything I can do to help Murphys immune system beat this infection as he is still very poorly and has anyone had this with their cat? Sorry for the long post.Many thanks in advance!

chico2
February 6th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Beanychick,first off I LOVE Maine Coons,the most beautiful big kitties.
I know there are ways to boost a cats immune-system,mostly with Pro-Biotics,but I don't know enough about what and how.
I am sure someone will come along and help out ,so be patient:cat:
I would love to see a pic of your beautiful cat,but I believe you have to post a few times to be allowed.
What's your cats name,how old is he??

phoozles
February 6th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Sorry to hear about Murphy! :sad:

You might want to ask your vet about L-Lysine - it's a good immune system booster - it comes in powder or pill form, and you can either get it through your vet or at a health food store. It's not too pricy, either :thumbs up

sugarcatmom
February 6th, 2008, 04:57 PM
My suggestion is to research something called Transfer Factor (http://www.immune-system-iq.com/pets.htm). It's a derivative of bovine colostrum, which is the immune system stimulator found in breast milk. You could also try just colostrum (it's cheaper) from a health food store, but I've heard really good things about Transfer Factor (never used it personally though).

Also, what is Murphy eating now? A low-carb, meat-based, wet food diet would be ideal. Preferably homemade/raw or at least a good quality canned.