Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cockatoos

Chris21711
February 6th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Seems like we are going to be fostering a Cockatoo named Lola. Do not know much about them at all and any advice would be appreciated. I have been reading up on them quite a bit, there is so much information out there it is mind boggling. This one likes to dance, lift her wing for a scratch, she also says "Hey baby" and "F... off". I haven't met her yet, she was brought from another shelter where she had been for quite some time. My daughter called from work and said " Mum can I ........" I said "sure, but she is not going to be a keeper". I guess time will tell.

SARAH
February 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Heheh, good luck with the "not a keeper" thing :D seems a lot of fosters on this forum end up staying for good!

All I know about cockatoos, are that they originate from Australia, have a crest of varying color depending on the sub-species, and are a parrot-bird that can be trained to do trics and talk. Oh, and "Baretta" had one he called "Chicken" for some silly reason.

The closest I got to having one, was two cockatiels ... not quite the same ... and a score of budgies over the years.

I would think some similarities go, like no drafts; the smaller ones like baths so maybe the large one too? Careful with open windows/ doors if the bird is loose. Fresh drinking water of course. Clean cage/ perches. Fresh food - watch as they empty the seeds but let the husks fall back into the bowl, it can seem full but in fact be empty of nutrition. Sesame seeds for budgies, I guess sunflower for cockatoos, but the pet stores have mixes that are suitable for each individual breed.

Oh, and lots of love, patience, and calm behavior (no sudden moves or flailing arms) so as not to scare the bird.

And I'm sure someone here will have more detailed and better info for you. A lot of web sites have great info as well.

dustybird
February 6th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Don't know too much about them, but my uncle has one and it's nutts, but then my uncle is annoying.

Anyway I have heard and read that you are not suppose to allow large birds, such as cockatoos, macaws etc... to sit on your shoulders as this is their way of dominating you. Also calm soothing voice, no high pitch chatter as it can excite them. There are a lot of different things they can eat and of course not eat but I don't know anything about that. Most love baths, a little water in the tub to splash around in or use a spray bottle to mist them, my uncles bird love the shower on very low pressure and of course becareful of the temp. When it comes to food I think seeds are only suppose to be a small part of their diet as it can cause them to get fat if they have too many, there are some very good brands of pellet food that is suppose to meet all their nutritional needs, of course fresh things are always nice and I think they need them too, again not sure what is safe.

And of course time and patience for he/she to get to know you and never use any chemicals especialy aresol/spray airfreshner anywhere near where they are kept, but that goes for any bird.

There is just soooo much to learn and I wish you luck and that someone can better help you. They can be real sweet and cuddly when they have the right owner/person taking care of them.

clm
February 7th, 2008, 10:56 AM
I've never had one, but I think all the parrots are wonderful. :lovestruck:

I have read that cockatoos become more att'd to one person in the family than the rest. They need lots of attention, and like all parrots, they have loud periods where they squawk a fair bit in the early morning and the evening.

I'm sure you could find yourself a book on the variety that you end up fostering.

I want to see pics when you get him or her!

Cindy

Rainy
February 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Cockatoos are like having a 3 year old that is never gonna grow up!They are very affectionate(VERY,VERY affectionate)and demanding of your time.They absolutely need brain stimulation and need to be in the thick of life with the family.They will pluck if they get bored and they will screem when happy at least once a day about a 20 minute session.A bored bird may scream all the time.........VERY LOUD!!!

SARAH
February 7th, 2008, 03:40 PM
A bored bird may scream all the time.........VERY LOUD!!!

Yikes!! Thinking back to my cockatiel COUPLE who were not bored, and how they would screech whenever we wanted to watch TV ... and they are so much smaller than a cockatoo!

I have this sneaky feeling that a bird will be for my old days, when I'm sitting there alone, a widow with the sole company of Pets.ca and her bird :D

And that is a loooooong ways away! Oh well :D no worries! Rather have a loving husband and 4 furries ( as long as the furries last ).

Rainy
February 7th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Well you need not wait untill your old.Just aim the bird in the direction of your annoying neighbour or insulate the bird room alot!LOL:eek:

pbpatti
February 7th, 2008, 06:51 PM
I just remembered, I had a neighbor (not right next door) lived in an apartment building about 1/2 a block down, they had a Cockatoo and in the summer I could hear it screaming, making Cockatoo noises at my place. the sound travels really well, so yes if you have a nasty neighbor face the bird their way :D:crazy: pbp

Chris21711
February 8th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Thanks guys for the input.
We have been doing quite a bit of research and there is so much info out there, like I said before, it boggles my mind. We have always had birds (6 at present) but not any of the big guys. She is a Lesser Sulphur Cockatoo that we determined and is a plucker which seems is not uncommon. Apparently she only starts to pluck after she has gone through an egg-laying stage, but that is just hearsay from the shelter that she was in before coming here (2 years). Seems like there is no magic bullet to stop the self-plucking from what I am reading.
I was on a site www.mytoos.com and it was heartbreaking to see some of the self infliction that these birds can do to themselves. It was a pretty negative site but I believe the site owner has the interests of these beautiful birds at heart.
I'm not sure how it is all going to work out, hopefully she will find herself in a happier environment that will keep her occupied. I wish I could find a little sweater for her, but I can't figure how to attach, or I could knit her a breastplate. Any thoughts?
Will definately post pictures , when I know how, I downloaded Photobucket, but still not sure how to use it.
Dustybird...Your Uncles' bird, how old is he/she and does he/she pluck?

julieV
February 8th, 2008, 10:43 AM
I can't wait to see pictures of your cockatoo. I used to have a lutino love bird named timbit(the kids named her). Unfortunately she met an untimely death when the cat got her. It was very traumatic as I had picked her when she was still a little chick with only a few feathers. She got very attatched to me and wouldn't let any one else pick her up. If they tried they unfortunatly got a nasty bite and for a small bird she could bite hard. Good luck with your new cockatoo and I'll be looking for pictures.

dustybird
February 8th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Hmmm I can't remember exactly when he got him but he is over 12 and has had him since he was under a year and he doesn't pluck. He has a ton of toys and one of the things my uncle does is he changes the toys every week. Takes some a way and puts back some from previous weeks, so Sparky thinks he's getting something new. He spends a lot of time with him and during quiet time(not sure what that is) they watch tv together. He has a huge cage for him and he's out of the cage whenever my uncle is home and has his own room.

I have heard to that when birds pluck it is due to stress or boredom, I think in a way it's like us bitting our nails etc... Finding a vet that knows about big birds is important and they may know or have tips on what you can do about the plucking. I am not sure if there are supplements that can help but they should know. Or even getting intouch with a good breeder.

Can't wait for pictures even if he/she is all plucky.

Here is a link to avian vets in Ontario
http://aav.org/vet-lookup/locate-vet2.php?query_field=province&search_string=ontario

A link to Ontario bird breeders(all birds), of course it's hard to tell who is good but they may be able to answer questions about care and plucking and let them know he was a rescue, you should be able to tell by their reaction if they really care about birds.
http://www.parrotplace.ca/ontario.htm#Ontario%20Avian%20Veterinarians

chico2
February 8th, 2008, 04:11 PM
My sons landlord has 2 parrots,not sure what they are,I'll see if I can find a pic.
First he had the green one,he was extreemly lonely and unhappy,so the owner adopted another little grey one and from that day on those birds are in love,adorable to watch.
They are NEVER in their cage,the owner has birdthingys hanging in the ceilings of every room,not only that he also has five cats:laughing:

Chris21711
February 9th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Chico - The grey bird is a Cockatiel. We have two, they are both boys and don't have anything to do with each other :shrug:

Dustybird - thanks for the info. Good idea about swithching toys around.

She brought Lola from the shelter yesterday, but after talking during the day, decided that she would probably be better situated at the boyfriends. Our place is very open. The only doors I can close are upstairs and there is not very much movement up there and she would be isolated. What she needs now is attention and company (we think).

I will let everyone know how it is going. It is completely new turf for us and will post photos.

Rainy
February 9th, 2008, 10:12 PM
Really great pics Chico!Yup the grey one is a cockatiel and the beautiful green one is an indian ringneck:)

chico2
February 10th, 2008, 06:26 AM
The strange thing was,the green one was very antisocial when he was alone, b, m....(sorry that was Rocky:laughing:
My friend rescued the Cockatiel,he was in pretty bad shape,but Bowser,the green one was like a den-mother taking care of the Cockatiel.
Adorable to see..

Chris21711
May 1st, 2008, 09:32 AM
This is Lola who Ethel started fostering this was taken in Feb. Since then she has not been plucking as much :) It seems that she is a keeper and is quite a ham.

Lise
May 1st, 2008, 11:33 AM
Cockatoos are really wonderful,although very loud and pretty demanding.I've handfed quite a few.The sulphur crested are probably the least clingy of all of the bigger ones,but they can also be the most challenging mentally.We had one,named B.A,who opened every aviary door and let everyone out before putting himself back in his cage and refastening the lock.

Chris21711
May 2nd, 2008, 08:52 AM
Lola is a Lesser Sulpher Crested Cockatoo, is demanding and does get very loud at times. Her vocabulary is expanding all the time and when my daughter is at the boyfriends prefers her to him and will chase and bite him :). She gets a lot of freedom (all day). She barks at the dogs and goes nuts when the cat walks in the room. I will post more pics as I get more adept.