Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Maybe should've researched this first...

Gibbons
February 6th, 2008, 12:40 PM
So the rescue that I'm fostering through seems to be small and not-well known. I'd never heard of them and I've been searching rescues for ages once I decided to foster. I got in touch with them through another rescue (who gave my name to another rescue who gave my name to this rescue). Is that standard? If that's NOT standard, then I wonder if they're doing other things in a not-standard way.

My main concern is that the previous' owners sister has started calling the rescue and harassing them with threats to sue to get the dogs back. She wants them back in March. The previous owner is in hospital.. he gets released to go home in March. They absolutely must NOT go back - I don't care how badly the sister wants them; anyone who can stand by and watch this happen to any animal is not a person who should ever get what she wants, IMO.

But.. what is the process for removing dogs from abusive or neglectful situations? If the owner signed something releasing ownership- can the sister get them back? If the neighbour "took" them without permission (the neighbour brought them in), could they get them back again? Are there lawsuits that can be brought against a rescue? Is this something I need to worry about?

More to the point, is this something that can screw up a potential adoptive family? I know a couple has applied to adopt them. When I called the rescue to let them know the name of the person applying so they could watch for it, they freaked out that anyone was interested, thinking it was "too much of a coincidence" that the sister wants them, and now this couple wants them too. I don't think this is a coincidence, and I've put tons of effort into getting them adopted. Is there a chance they'd dismiss this woman and her application just due to "coincidence"? I'm trying REALLY hard not to start calling them and demanding answers to all these questions in case I'm wrong, but I'm really worried.

Love4himies
February 6th, 2008, 01:10 PM
Not too sure, as far as I know if the owner signed over the dogs to the rescue, then the sister has no legal right to them. If there is no written agreement, I would think the owner could state they were stolen and get them back.

I hope they find a good home to live out the rest of their years.

Chris21711
February 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
If the owner signed the dogs over then the sister doesn't have a leg to stand on, if the neighbour took them and brought them to the rescue then that is stealing. Even if they were abused, it would have to go through the proper channels, if the rescue has some proof of the abuse (their loss of a limb each), they could contact the SPCA who have the power to seize them, if the owner then does not sign them over, it would go to court. As far as I know, once they are seized they have to remain in the custody of the SPCA until ownership is granted to them. Good Luck.

mona_b
February 7th, 2008, 01:25 AM
If the owner signed the dogs over then the sister doesn't have a leg to stand on, if the neighbour took them and brought them to the rescue then that is stealing. Even if they were abused, it would have to go through the proper channels, if the rescue has some proof of the abuse (their loss of a limb each), they could contact the SPCA who have the power to seize them, if the owner then does not sign them over, it would go to court. As far as I know, once they are seized they have to remain in the custody of the SPCA until ownership is granted to them. Good Luck.

Exactly.

Was any abuse reported to the SPCA?

Were these two "taken" from the owner without the owner knowing?If so,then yes this neighbour can be charged by the owner.And yes the owner can get them back.

Does this rescue know about this?

I'm going to give you some advise.Now this is the legal side of me.;)

I would stop looking for potential owners for these two cuties.As it stands now,they have an owner.You have these two adopted out,the new adoptees will end up having their heart broken when they have to return them.Can the sister take them?Yes.The dogs were never signed over to the rescue by the "owner"..Legaly,the dog is his.

When the neigbour brought the dogs into the rescue,did the rescue not ask questions?Did the rescue not get in touch with the SPCA?

What is the story on the dogs?

LL1
February 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
I would be very careful,and would ask the rescue all of the questions that you have.I have heard of your rescue before.It is kind of weird that another rescue gave them your info without checking with you.