Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Vigilante Justice

want4rain
February 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
this is from the microwaved cat thread. (sorry if this bothers you guys!!) i snipped this out of another thread instead of threadjacking!! to say firstly, all misunderstandings were totally cleared up, i just got to thinking of RUSTYcat's comments about vigilante justice.

OMG!

Love4himies and chico2, my intent was to add something which had not been stated - by either one of you nor by any other poster - in reply to bbbici's post, specifically this part

I asked if we are any better than the perpetrators of cruelty if we were to "exact vigilante justice"...........that's all.

I think you missed my first comment after I quoted you, Love4himies (post # 44)...."Agreed"...about the need to change laws.

So, no sarcasm, no criticism of anyone (including bbbici), no assumptions.........no nothing other than a rhetorical question about vigilante justice.

Now, I'm unsure if all that's enough to clarify my intention, so, a totally sincere :sorry: for every misunderstanding my post caused.

Can we still be friends?:grouphug:

ive always been an advocate of the punishment fitting the crime, of folks taking responsibility of their actions and vigilante justice being detrimental to the human race's advancement and betterment but....

i was almost in a car accident once. not the first time, nor was that the last time but it was one of those few unique times.

i was 8.5 months pregnant, sitting in the passenger seat, Cailyn was in the back seat and Chris was driving. it was pouring rain outside, visibility was low, it was late evening and you know, here in the foothills, there isnt a straight flat road to be found. we had just left the grocery store, on our way home. we pulled up to one of the intersections, waited for the car ahead to go through, looked both ways and crossed ourselves. the next mile or so has two very high hills with a low laying dip between them.

im not sure what i was doing or why i wasnt paying attention to the road but next thing i know, between the hills, Chris slams on the breaks! it took a moment to realize what it was, there was a car stopped in the middle of the road at soemthign of an angle, no break lights. not a single light anywhere on the danged thing. before Chris could properly stop the car and get out to offer help, the car took off up the hill again. soemwhere in the confusion the headlights came back on.

when we pulled up to the next light, it occurred to me, he had his headlights on, his break lights were working and he stopped just fine. it took me another moment to realize the only way he could have stopped given the circumstances was to use the emergency break, which does not use the break lights. before i could even properly finish the thought as to WHY he would have pulled his emergency break, at the bottom of the hill, in the rain....

im not sure what flash of brilliance my husband had, maybe he knew why i kept chopsticks in my car for(self defense)?? next thing i knew i had the door opened, chop stick in hand and my seat belt wasnt coming undone. Chris had his hands on it. the only thing that saved that guys eyeball was the light changed and my husband refused to chase him down and my pregnant butt couldnt have outrun a car.

it took me HOURS to calm down after that stunt. livid doesnt even begin to describe how angry, upset and quite vigilante i was feeling. that was my ENTIRE FAMILY almost in an accident because some chum wanted an insurance claim?!? all that kept going through my head was 'what if i had lost the baby??', 'what if Cailyn had been injured??', 'what if Chris hadnt seen him stopped and hit going fast enough to.....' and so on.

when i place myself in a position to rationalize anothers situation, i can be very calm and fair (i think anyway :D) but when it comes to my family, i feel like such a hypocrite. im not sure what i would have done to that person had i gotten my hands on them. poked an eye out? stabbed them in the arm a few times?? just threatened them?? i dont know. it wouldnt have been pleasant though. nor legal.

that guy who hit Chloe??? id punched him back.
i kicked a guys SUV once for blasting his music and pulling up next to me in the parking lot while i had my babies in the car shouting with every bit of dignity i had that while he chooses to damage his hearing, destroying my BABIES hearing before ever having a chance to fully use it was CRIMINAL. i then went on to tell him that loud music doesnt make your penis bigger but cars dont make you more manly and perhaps he should spend his money instead of a gym membership to be more appealing to women (or men, if thats the way you swing).... and so on.

i like to think of myself as rational and level headed but i know when it counts, i loose my cool. i grab chopsticks, i yell at men 3 times my size or i make moves to run folks using TomTom's while driving off the road for sheer stupidity.

my mom asks me why i stay at the house so much, 'go out and do things with us' and i tell her i cant cope with stupid people. i have to come into contact with stupid people if i leave my house.

anyways, im not really sure where im going with this other than that vigilante justice bothers me but im a hypocrite. hurt my family (that includes my furried and finned creatures) and im just not real sure how i will be able to NOT take your head off. perhaps im not any better than those who do cruel things to begin with but its the way i am. glad my husband has, thus far, been able to keep a good grip on me. :o

-ashley

Love4himies
February 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
Ashley, you are a very talented writer, very entertaining indeed. Have you ever considered a writing career?

I often wonder how parents of murder victims can sit in court with the murderer only feet away. I think it would be very difficult for me not to kill that person. I just don't think I would have any self control.

want4rain
February 6th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Ashley, you are a very talented writer, very entertaining indeed. Have you ever considered a writing career?

thank you L4H, i have but id have to go back to school. natural talent will only get you so far. :) ive been thinking of a book for several months now but i ahve no idea how to go about writing a book.

I often wonder how parents of murder victims can sit in court with the murderer only feet away. I think it would be very difficult for me not to kill that person. I just don't think I would have any self control.

i know how you feel. im fairly sure id have a long fingernail and it would find an eyeball. rationally i know id end up in prison over it, its wrong and that the judges sentence would probably be worse than a quick, if painful death but it comes down to self control. im remarkably lacking in it i guess.

-ashley

happycats
February 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
:wall::wall: I just wrote a long reply, and lost it!!

So I'll just sum it up by saying.....I agree:thumbs up

want4rain
February 6th, 2008, 05:19 PM
HAHA!! im not sure if thats a good agreement or a bad one???

-ash

happycats
February 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
LOL what I mean is I don't believe in vigilate justice, but whan it comes to children and animals, I would love to see the abusers "feel" what the victims had to endure.

I was never a violent person until I had my son, then look out, I will (and have:o) gone after anyone no matter how big if ,I feel he is in danger .

Love4himies
February 8th, 2008, 09:40 AM
thank you L4H, i have but id have to go back to school. natural talent will only get you so far. :) ive been thinking of a book for several months now but i ahve no idea how to go about writing a book.

i know how you feel. im fairly sure id have a long fingernail and it would find an eyeball. rationally i know id end up in prison over it, its wrong and that the judges sentence would probably be worse than a quick, if painful death but it comes down to self control. im remarkably lacking in it i guess.

-ashley

I think you could write about your personal experiences with your family and pets in a very comical way that would keep readers in stitches from laughing.

I like the fingernail procedure, bet you could patent that and sell it to victims :laughing: