Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Not really a gotcha day but .....

Frenchy
February 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Today , been a year that Nelly is here ! I can't say it's her gotcha day , she is not legally mine yet ... still a foster. Still waiting for the owner of the puppy mill where Nelly comes from , to go on trial for animal cruelty.

The first months were not easy , I kinda laugh when I read post about people complaining about their dogs still not housebroken after a couple of days/weeks. With Nelly , I cleaned poop and pee for 3 months , everyday , morning and night. And there are still traces of the destruction in the house , before I eventually use the crate. This seems so far away ! She has changed so much ! :lovestruck:
And to think , at first , I told them , give me anyone of these dogs , any breed , I just want to help and foster ... adoption is not my intention. :rolleyes: I ended up with Nelly , and she's not going anywhere ! :lovestruck:

Ford Girl
February 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Frenchy - becuase of you and the rest of your slobbery pack she has come along way to being a happy healthy dog!! That picture is so cute!! :lovestruck:

You are both very lucky! :grouphug:

clm
February 6th, 2008, 11:40 AM
Happy gotcha day Nelly!!!! Legal or not, she's your dog now Frenchy and she's spectacular :cloud9: You've done an amazing job with her.

Cindy

Frenchy
February 6th, 2008, 11:46 AM
I have to say thanks to SuzieQT and Boubou , they choose Nelly for me , and what a great decision that was ! :thumbs up

And to LP , who did so much for Nelly and me. And so many members here , who offered help , and listened to my rants when I was going :crazy: and offered great advices.

From Nelly and me : :thankyou:

luckypenny
February 6th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Nelly!

Plant a great big kiss right between her eyes for me, will ya Frenchy? What a beauty!

Just goes to show what love and commitment can do for a pup :highfive: :grouphug: .

rainbow
February 6th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Nelly !!!

Great picture :thumbs up

Great dog :lovestruck:

Great mom :angel:

Lukka'sma
February 6th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Wooo Hooo Nelly

Happy Gotch Day:party:

hazelrunpack
February 6th, 2008, 01:27 PM
She really has come a long way--looks like a totally different girl: well-nourished, bright-eyed, alert...and I'm sure she's very proud of herself for finally figuring out that "potty and poopy outside" thing. :dog:

You have done such a remarkable thing for her in this past year. You're a very good mom :grouphug:

Happy Gotcha Day, Nelly!

joeysmama
February 6th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Who needs legal. It's the love that counts !!!:lovestruck:

SARAH
February 6th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Oh, and give her a great big dane-hug from me too, she is just so beautiful that Nelly!

Wonder what went on in her poor mind when you got her though. Here she was, in a warm place, cuddly, allowed on couch and bed like she'd never seen before, but ... what? Can't just pee and poop where ever she was when the need took her? Strange, she'd always done that after all.

Oh, to be able to crawl into our pets' heads sometimes ... bought, adopted, fostered and kept, how ever we came by them ... to understand what they are confused about; to put our explanations into their brains directly ...

Happy "gotcha" day Nelly, you deserved your forever home if ever a dog did! Be happy and live for a long, long time! :grouphug::dog:

chico2
February 6th, 2008, 04:09 PM
Awww beautiful girl,you certainly hit the jack-pot with Frenchy,could not ever get a better home,yours is a story I am sure everyone will remember.
I too wish we could know what the animals are thinking,especially the ones that came from horrible conditions like Nelly.
Do they remember???
Well anyway,sweet Nelly,HAPPY GOTCHA DAY!!!

dmc123
February 6th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Frenchy, I am glad Nelly has you - and glad you have her :)

Diane

wdawson
February 6th, 2008, 04:25 PM
I just want to help and foster ... adoption is not my intention. :rolleyes: I ended up with Nelly , and she's not going anywhere ! :lovestruck:

i always knew she was staying...:D:thumbs up....happy gotcha day nelly and frenchy.

JanM
February 6th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Well, gee - from the look on Nelly's face, I'd say she knows darn well she's found her home with you! Well done, Frenchy!

Nelly is now a happy, healthy, content dog and, yes, you get the credit for that :D

Frenchy
February 6th, 2008, 08:21 PM
I keep going back to her picture :p :lovestruck:

Thank you everyone for your nice words . But really , she's a great dog , made it easy for me (other than the housebreaking :laughing: , yes I can laugh , now !) I kept hearing about how great danes are this way or that way (all the "bad sides") but I haven't seen any of these with Nelly. She does have separation anxiety , but lots of dogs have it. :shrug: This is going better too , when I go for errands , I let her free in the house and she doesn't destroy anything :thumbs up I can't wait for the day when she'll be ok all day. :cloud9:

If she remembers where she comes from , I think so. She still gets scared sometimes , but as soon as I talk to her , she's ok. I just love her to pieces. :o

pbpatti
February 6th, 2008, 08:54 PM
Happy Gotcha Day Frenchie, you keep giving Nellie all your love and affection and she will be forever yours. pbp:lovestruck:

Byrd
February 6th, 2008, 08:55 PM
Time sure does fly!

I glad she found a happy home.

t.pettet
February 6th, 2008, 09:45 PM
Her photo does YOU and Nelly justice, she wouldn't look so beautiful, healthy and contented without your dedication. Way to go Frenchy! Wishing you and Nelly many years of friendship.

Frenchy
February 6th, 2008, 09:54 PM
thank you all :o

jiorji
February 6th, 2008, 10:50 PM
awww i love that picture :cloud9:

happy "Nelly got out of the puppy mill and came to Frenchy to get spoiled and swatted in the head by Paddy" day :D:laughing:

mona_b
February 7th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Awwwwww look at that face.She looks soooooooo happy and content.

You have come a long way with her Frenchy,and you have done an amazing job with her.:highfive:

She is BEAUTIFUL.

growler~GateKeeper
February 7th, 2008, 04:06 AM
Happy Gotcha Day Nelly!!!

You've done a fabulous job with her Frenchy :grouphug: Thank YOU for fostering these dogs & giving them the best life they've had so far :highfive:

Big smoochies for Nelly :lovestruck:

SARAH
February 7th, 2008, 05:47 AM
What would be "bad sides" to a Dane? I never noticed any with mine ... one Moonshine, brindle girl that I adopted when her owner had to move and ended in a small room with no place for her. Sweet 'Shine, never a problem with her.

breeze
February 7th, 2008, 08:13 AM
Nelly is as pretty as ever!!!!!!

you are doing a great job, and Nelly looks sooooo happy!!:thumbs up:cloud9:
you are a great mom....

Tommysmom
February 7th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I can't believe I missed this yesterday... congratulations Nelly and Frenchy! She's so gorgeous now, the happiness is so obvious. You've done a wonderful job with her and all that hard work cleaning up after her has paid off so well!!

Frenchy
February 7th, 2008, 07:53 PM
all that hard work cleaning up after her has paid off so well!!

Yes , I'm very well trained now for the clean up :laughing:

TeriM
February 7th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Congrats to you both :lovestruck:. Nelly is a very lucky dog to have you in her life and I can't believe how far she has come :cloud9:.

loopoo
February 9th, 2008, 12:03 AM
congrads.. i think what you do is amazing.. i also think, even with those who foster, the ones that we end up with forever, well they choose us.. i think she definitely chose you :)

Frenchy
February 9th, 2008, 10:16 AM
What would be "bad sides" to a Dane? I never noticed any with mine ...

I have been told that Great danes don't like the cold weather , or the hot weather. Of course , Nelly doesn't like it when it's -20*C but other than that she's ok , she loves to run around and zoom in the snow. She's also ok in the summer when it gets real hot. Also about their sensitive stomach , bloating and everything. No problems with Nelly. And I read on a Great dane breed description many things like them being aggressive dogs .... nope , not Nelly at all !

The only thing I've read that applied to Nelly is separation anxiety. :shrug:

pitgrrl
February 10th, 2008, 07:53 AM
She's so pretty:lovestruck:.....and very lucky to have have found her way to you.

JamesO
February 10th, 2008, 06:25 PM
It's people like you who make the world a better place for our animal friends.

Frenchy
February 10th, 2008, 06:27 PM
Thank you very much JamesO , it's very rewarding to help these dogs , they are so thankfull ! :cloud9: