Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

barky Shih-tzu

julieV
February 6th, 2008, 11:59 AM
I tried this yesterday but I must have done it wrong because it wasn't posted so I apologize to everyone if somehow it ends up posted twice:confused: Does anyone have a shih-zu or any dog that likes to bark alot? My dog Jasmine barks at everything. I had to stop taking her to the park in the summer with the kids due to her excesive barking. I'm sure it must have been driving everyone crazy. Its not just a little bark either its loud and yappy. She still gets lots of walks but even then if she sees another dog shes yip yapping until she can't see them anymore. Any suggestions.:o

BusterBoo
February 6th, 2008, 12:15 PM
I have a tzu/bichon who used to bark a lot, but we have managed to slow it down quite a bit. I ended up buying the citronella bark collar and it worked wonders. I only had to put it on Buster a few times (less than 5 I think) and he got the idea. There is no shock involved, just a spray of citronella under his chin (not in his mouth or eyes!). Now if he does get excited and starts to bark (especially at the horses across the road), all I do is tell him I will get his bark collar and he stops.

I know that this is not necessarily the best way to train a dog, but it worked for me.

I know others will be along shortly to offer more tips! Good luck! :thumbs up