Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Yorkies VS Chihuahua's

kobe
February 5th, 2008, 05:07 PM
Just wondering in general, which breed likes to bark more? I am looking at buying a smaller bred dog, just don't want anything that will bark all day long. I understand Chihuahuas bark alot but can this be stopped by more attention? training?

Thanks

CearaQC
February 5th, 2008, 07:17 PM
My evil step-mom-in-law has a silkie Yorkie. The most annoying dog I ever met. She would yap yap yap all day every day. The dog would walk in front of the woman like a medieval herald announcing her presence with yapping. She would yap at people, men with baseball caps, anything with a stick (like a broom). She would attack the vacuum and in general never shut up from barking. She was food/treat aggressive, liked to stalk cats for pure fun. And in general - a holy terror that I hope to never see again.

But of course all that was not the dog's fault - she was never taught properly by her owner and allowed to do things that a larger breed dog would never be allowed to do. All because the smaller dogs are "cute."

So what I guess I'm trying to say is... doesn't matter what kind of dog you get. It's still a dog and needs to be taught rules.

dmc123
February 5th, 2008, 08:28 PM
So what I guess I'm trying to say is... doesn't matter what kind of dog you get. It's still a dog and needs to be taught rules.

Well said, CearaQC, I have one good size dog Simon, who loves to hear his own voice. We are working with different techniques - each one works for a little while.

I've always wanted a little dog, particularly a Yorkie, but after having my 3 mid/big size dogs, I am not sure I do anymore.

Diane

Myka
February 5th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Both the breeds you named have a tendency to bark a lot from what I have seen.

I've never been a fan of small dogs (for many reasons, but barking is a definate), but Basenji's are fairly small and don't bark very much. They are really cool small dogs. Kinda cat-like.

t.pettet
February 5th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Its not fair to categorize all small dogs as chronic barkers. Theres a golden around the corner who barks constantly and he's not tied up outside, barks when on walks at everyone walking by, birds, you name it. My small dogs were taught whats acceptable so I think its all about training.

Tommysmom
February 5th, 2008, 11:51 PM
:shrug:I have a jack russell - one of the breeds famous for barking - who never barks at all. My mom's chihuahua barely utters a sound - although her large border collie/lab/stuff mix barks at everything that moves. On our block you can hear the rhodesian ridgeback bark pretty much non-stop all day long, but the 3 yorkies/yorkie mixes, the miniature poodle x, and the miniature schnauzer who all live near me are all silent. It really is the training and the individual personality that makes a difference.

yorkiedad
March 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I have lived with all three breeds. Each has some wonderful traits. But, now that I live with a Yorkie, I could never share my life with any other breed of dog. They are very smart, and I do mean smart. They are loving and let you know that they love you. They are very loyal. My Yorkie boy, and my Yorkiepoo girl are not barkers, except at night when someone tries to break into the house, in which case, they go nuts. I've had their barking drive away several potential home invaders.

Yorkies love to play and be played with. Both of my little ones love to play ball, and I can keep both them and myself entertained for hours. I take them to the vet every six months for checkups, and teeth cleanings. They are quite healthy. Do not change dog foods on yorkies or yorkiepoos. If they get used to a particular brand of dog food, stick with it or you will have runny bowels mess to clean up. Another nice thing about Yorkies and yorkiepoos is that they are clean dogs and generally do not have doggie order, they don't shed, and sleep in bed with me.

They both love to be groomed, and grooming can be enjoyable for both you and the dogs. Lastly, with a Yorkie, you don't own the Yorkie, the Yorkie owns you.

14+kitties
March 17th, 2009, 12:52 PM
yorkiedad - Welcome to Pets!! The thread you replied to is over a year old. The original poster never came back. Or if they did they didn't bother leaving a response.
Do you have any pics of your little ones? We love pics here. :D

King
March 18th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I have a Yorkie/poo-king/shih stzu, he barely barks and when he does its a small bark ussually stopped with a shush.

Mslucious
June 1st, 2009, 07:31 PM
I got a Chihuahua X Yorkie LOL... Its hard but i wanted a yorkie and my boyfriend wanted a chihuahua so it was only right we get a cross breed one =)