Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Sudden fear of steps.

bendyfoot
February 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Only two, only when going up, and only at the bottom of the main set of stairs inside the house. All other stairs are fine, and going down those same stairs are fine. (It's Jaida, by the way). This started a few days ago. I'm not aware of her having taken a tumble (but even if she did, she does often and is never bothered by them...besides, it's hard to fall UP stairs, ya know?)

There's a little landing after these first two steps. She'll put her front leg on the first step, and then basically cry for a good 20 minutes until she finally decides to come up. The few times I've encouraged her or tried to prod her to go a little, she tucks her tail between her legs and runs away. If I carry her on to the little landing, she'll gladly walk the rest of the way up.

Very bizzare.

Any ideas?

14+kitties
February 5th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Just a thought....... do your steps bend? Like - the bottom two steps and then the landing and then the other steps go a different direction? Is it possible that Jaida (I love that name) isn't afraid of the steps themselves but whatever might be coming down the other ones? Could she have been startled by someone or something coming down them and now she doesn't want to take the chance that it may happen again? That would explain why she is ok once you get her past that small hurdle. In my experience steps like that generally have the bend with a solid wall so she wouldn't be able to see around to make sure nothing is coming down. :shrug:
I know what I am trying to say but does any of this make any sense? :D

growler~GateKeeper
February 6th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Are the stairs carpeted? If not she might have slipped & slid but not fallen before getting to the landing

Maybe she caught a toenail on the carpeting?

Perhaps one of the cats - above Jaida on the pet Hierarchy - was sitting on the landing blocking her access & she interprets this as not being allowed up those 2 stairs

You can try to tempt her up the stairs on her own by placing a cookie on the landing or a couple of stairs just above the landing so she has to walk up the stairs to get it & can't just reach for it.

Love4himies
February 6th, 2008, 07:57 AM
Aww poor Jaida, don't have any suggestions, but do want to send Jaida a :grouphug:.

I would be so nice to be able to read our pet's mind so we could help them more.

bendyfoot
February 6th, 2008, 12:39 PM
Just a thought....... do your steps bend? Like - the bottom two steps and then the landing and then the other steps go a different direction? Is it possible that Jaida (I love that name) isn't afraid of the steps themselves but whatever might be coming down the other ones? Could she have been startled by someone or something coming down them and now she doesn't wa

nt to take the chance that it may happen again? That would explain why she is ok once you get her past that small hurdle. In my experience steps like that generally have the bend with a solid wall so she wouldn't be able to see around to make sure nothing is coming down. :shrug:
I know what I am trying to say but does any of this make any sense? :D

I get what you're saying...but there's only a bannister, she can see through it...

Are the stairs carpeted? If not she might have slipped & slid but not fallen before getting to the landing

Maybe she caught a toenail on the carpeting?

Perhaps one of the cats - above Jaida on the pet Hierarchy - was sitting on the landing blocking her access & she interprets this as not being allowed up those 2 stairs

You can try to tempt her up the stairs on her own by placing a cookie on the landing or a couple of stairs just above the landing so she has to walk up the stairs to get it & can't just reach for it.

Yep, there's carpet (she falls anyways sometimes, that's what happens when you have three legs!) I tried luring her with high-value stuff...I got crying and butt-tuck-running.

Aww poor Jaida, don't have any suggestions, but do want to send Jaida a :grouphug:.

I would be so nice to be able to read our pet's mind so we could help them more.

Wouldn't it be nice? I don't think Jaida has much of a mind to read, though:rolleyes: (not so much as two brain cells to rub together that I can see...:laughing:)

I think this may be resolving. She went up once last night and once this morning. Darned if I can figure out what the problem was/is. She's an odd duck, is our Jaida.

Longblades
February 7th, 2008, 08:19 PM
When my girl's back was going the Vet told me hesitation or reluctance to go down steps could be the first signs of a back problem. And going up could be an indication of hip problems. As to why it would only be those certain steps, that's a mystery, but perhaps her hips gave her a twinge there once and now she fears them? Or something else happened there?

PennyC
February 13th, 2008, 07:59 PM
what you can instead of proding her, bribe her. everytime she takes a step up those steps, rewards with something she loves, cut up a couple of hot dogs or small squares of cheese. but cut them into small bits, try to encourage her this way. eventually she will recognize the steps as a positive memory oposed of a bad one that no one knows of

SnowDancer
February 14th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I am inclined to go with Longblades thoughts - no doubt because I have had dogs with seriously major back issues and this is how it all started. Just a few steps...

clm
February 14th, 2008, 09:10 PM
How old is Jaida? I know all of my dogs had different stages where they were afraid of things for no logical reason as pups. Freddie developed a fear of mailboxes of all things when he was around 8 months old. Took weeks to get him over that one, had to cross the street every time we came near one of those big red Canada Post boxes.
Yogi developed a fear of other dogs for no logical reason at about 4 months of age. He got over it a bit but was never comfortable around other dogs.
Baxter has a fear moving cars, inside the car and outside if they're driving towards you. Have since being little pups. Can't walk them up a real big busy street without Baxter stopping and sitting down.
Freddie also didn't like steps. I could bring him in my parents front door, but the back door had 3 steps up into the kitchen and he seemed terrified of it.

Cindy

bendyfoot
February 18th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Jaida's about 15 months now. She's a big scaredy-cat about a lot of things. We've just never had problems with steps before. We haven't had any problems in about a week now. :thumbs up Weirdo.