Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I finally did it

chico2
February 5th, 2008, 07:15 AM
Yesterday morning I was a little panicky,Rocky,who usually is ravenous would not even go near his food.
Since his pill is in the first teaspoon of food,it's very important he eats,he also was listless.
I then finally decided to go and see the new vet and got a good feeling right away,was greeted by the door by the frendliest big kitty,the resident cat.
The vet was in surgery,but the receptionist and the vet-tech were very warm and friendly,they are taking care of everything the transfer of records etc:thumbs up
I feel really good about this vet-office he comes highly recommended by a 100% animal-lover and others.
Best of all,he is the ONLY vet,not FIVE,with different ideas,like my previous vets.
As for Rocky,they asked me to bring him in today,if he was still not eating,but by afternoon yesterday,he was back to his ravenous self and ate all his food,pill and all:thumbs up
So,he'll be going to see the new vet next week,when he is due for another blood-test:thumbs up

sugarcatmom
February 5th, 2008, 07:21 AM
Yippeeee! That's awesome. It's important to have a good relationship with the vet, so this is a good step towards that. Give that tabby of yours some chin scritches for me, and I hope your appointment next week goes well.

chico2
February 5th, 2008, 07:32 AM
Thank's SCM,I feel really good about it,after a few years of frustration with the others.
I am not saying he can perform miracles,but trusting your vet,is half the battle IMO.
I also spoke to another lady who has a dog and a cat,who goes to the place I used to.
She too is absolutely fed up with the turn-over of vets and other staff and will go to another vet.

ancientgirl
February 5th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I'm so glad you have a vet you feel comfortable taking Rocky to.

Where I take the gang, they have probably 6. It's a 24 hour clinic as well so a few only work in the evenings. But I always ask for one specific vet, and if I can't seem to get a good appointment with her, there is another vet I really like too, so I've got two I can choose from. Not to mention the head vet, who I've had see Vlad once and he was just a wonderful person.

All of the vet techs are great and the staff is just marvelous! They always ask me about all my kitties when I call or go in with one. And they also have a resident cat named Max. He's been there for over 10 years! And even though they ask people not to leave animals at their door, they still do take care of strays left to them. They have 3 that have been there for 9 months. So I know they are total animal lovers there. They are a bit expensive, but it's worth it to me as I'm sure it's worth it to you to know that Rocky is being taken good care of there wen you take him.

Yay for cool vets!

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2008, 08:05 AM
That's great news, chico! :highfive: I agree--having a good rapport with your vet is a great thing.

We go to a clinic with 4 vets and know them all. We like them all, too. The clinic is sort of pricey, but you can't put a price on the service we get. We're an hour out from the clinic, so many of our consultations are free by phone--they never make me feel like I'm wasting their time, they're always quick to call back to answer one of my questions, and if they think the dog needs to be seen, I never question that it's necessary, we just make the appointment. :thumbs up

Sometimes I think that if we were able to go two weeks without calling them over something or other, they'd call us to make sure everything was all right! :laughing:

I'm glad Rocky got his appetite back before worrying his mommy too much! :grouphug: Good boy, Rocky!

Love4himies
February 5th, 2008, 08:18 AM
Yes, having a good vet is so important, just like us having a good doctor.

I left behind the best cat vet in St Albert when I left Alberta, the one I have here is not bad though.

Lukka'sma
February 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
That's great chico. It is so important to have confidence in the people who work on your pets. The vet and all the staff where I take Lukka are very knowledgable and Lukka does like them all. She even likes to sneak a little kiss to the vet once the exam table has her eye level with him:laughing:
Pricey for sure but it's worth it.
I hope Rocky doesn't give you too much cause for worry, glad he found his appetite again

cpietra16
February 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM
Chico that great....I wish I lived closer, the more vets I meet the less inpressed I am ....I want someone who turns over ever rock to look for the root ofthe problem...someone who loves animals and does everything they can just for the animal..not for his pocket...anyone know of anyone like that???
don't want to highjack this thread..sorry chico , I am thrilled that you found someone who really cares.

Frenchy
February 5th, 2008, 11:24 AM
Alright Chico2 :highfive: I'm glad you made the move :thumbs up

14+kitties
February 5th, 2008, 11:32 AM
Good for you Chico!!!! I am so glad you found someone you like to take care of your babies. They are too precious to trust to just anyone.
My feeling is if there are so many vets in a place how do they get to know animals. They see so many different ones they never get a chance to bond with any. It's good this place has only one. I hope he turns out to be as good as he sounds. :goodvibes: :highfive:

rainbow
February 5th, 2008, 11:49 AM
Glad to hear that you finally took the plunge and changed vets. :highfive: I'm sure you will not regret it. We also went through the same thing when we lived in Kitimat and the vet only came twice a week. He was actually based in Terrace and had too much work for himself to handle so he just hired locums to fill in and we very rarely seen the same vet twice. :rolleyes:

Good luck with Rocky's test next week. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

krdahmer
February 5th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Good boy Rocky! http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/9.gif

And I'm really glad that new vet is working out Chico. :thumbs up

I drive all the way to St. Catherine's for mine... found them when I was working with the rescue and was so impressed I begged them to take my kitties. Good thing I didn't wait because they are so good they are no longer taking any new patients. There are two vets, and some turnover in vet techs ( Fagan's favorite vet tech left :sad:... poor guy misses his girlfriend...:rolleyes::laughing:), but everyone is great and they have been so wonderful with Fagan. A good vet that you trust and have a good rappor with is so important... for your peace of mind and your pet's well being! :)

phoozles
February 5th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Yay! :highfive:
Hopefully you'll finally get some answers re: Rocky and his runniness! :thumbs up

JanM
February 5th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm glad you feel good about the change! I changed vets a short while back and haven't regretted it one bit! Sounds like your kitty feels good about it too! Hope all works out well for all of you.

chico2
February 5th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Well,I have not met him yet,but from the glowing recomendations he sounds wonderful.
I am not difficult to get along with,actually very easygoing and calm,all I want is someone who cares,who realizes how important our cats are to us.
It's a little further away and I'll listen to them howl a little longer:laughing:but that's ok..
We have a former homeless lady here,her 10 cats have lived at the local Pet-Value for 4 yrs,this new vet is taking care of all her cats,she pays whenever she can..
Not that I expect that:laughing:but it shows what kind of vet he is.
I did feel ripped off many times with the old vets,but it's not because I don't want to pay,I'll pay whatever it takes,as long as the kitties get good care.

JanM
February 5th, 2008, 04:28 PM
"I did feel ripped off many times with the old vets,but it's not because I don't want to pay,I'll pay whatever it takes,as long as the kitties get good care."

That just about sums up why I changed vets. Our local vet clinic is money first, animal second. I now go to the next town south and they are "animal first, money second"... The local clinic seems to almost demand that people go the most intensive route and the new clinic will, depending on the situation of course, recommend alternative, least-invasive procedures first.
I'm very happy I changed and I hope it turns out for the best for you too!

kashtin's kin
February 5th, 2008, 11:13 PM
chico2, so glad you seem to have found a vet that you can trust, depend on, and all that essential stuff :thumbs up...also glad that Rocky is significantly improved (hope the blood tests are helpful).