Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Children's advil

.unknown.
February 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
IS it safe to give any amount of advil to a cat?

A girl i know said her aunt gives her cat glucosamine and half of a child's advil daily for her arthritis.

I thought was Advil was especially toxic to cats.

SARAH
February 4th, 2008, 07:02 PM
No aspirin in Advil as far as I know, so should be ok I guess? Has this aunt talked to her vet about this treatment? I'd prefer krill oil as a supplement before the pills though, regardless!

kiara
February 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM
I know that some medications for humans are used for animals. But you have to ask the vet which ones and how much to give, because it depends on the animal's weight.

sugarcatmom
February 4th, 2008, 07:32 PM
IS it safe to give any amount of advil to a cat?

NO!!!!! Is she doing this under the direction of her vet?

Other over-the-counter NSAIDs such as ibuprofen (Advil®, Nuprin®, Motrin®) or naproxen (Aleve®) should never be given to cats. Ibuprofen has a narrow margin of safety in dogs, and cats, with their inability to metabolize these drugs, are thought to be twice as sensitive as dogs to ibuprofen’s toxic effects. “Ibuprofen and naproxen are especially dangerous, and may be fatal”, says Dr. Stone.
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/toxic_tragediesl.html

I cannot finish without at least mentioning the following. Plain and simple – never, ever, ever use it in a cat BECAUSE THEY ARE USUALLY FATAL:

Tylenol (acetaminophen).

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin etc.) or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, (NSAIDS).

http://www.valleypetnews.com/venerable_vet_i.htm

rainbow
February 4th, 2008, 07:47 PM
I thought was Advil was especially toxic to cats.

Yes, it is !!! ....Please give the information sugarcatmom posted to your friend to pass on to her aunt.

Kelly C
February 4th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I would always ask a vet before giving human meds to my animals as many are dangerous. It's too serious an issue to trust internet advice unless one is really familiar with the source. -- Kelly

.unknown.
February 6th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Don't worry. I passed along the info.

I doubt it will do anything because this girl is kinda dumb and I wonder if "dumb" genes run in the family.

I knew it was bad....One time my dog got into a bottle of advil - luckily she onyl chewed the bottle and not the advil. But i had to get them to puke, had the vet on call and stuff.

Brutal.

I think her aunt probably thinks its ok becauseit's a low dose of children's advil. but i think she's an idiot because children are still WAY bigger than kitties.

:wall:

Kelly C
February 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM
It's not just the dose - some things that are fine for us are poisonous to our pets. The last time I was at the vet (I seem to be there a lot nowadays) he mentioned having a recent cat emergency where someone had given the cat advil. The cat died. --Kelly