Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stealing Food

Harley's_Mom
February 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM
Harley has developed a bad habit of stealing food. We've caught him on several ocassions taking food off plates on the kitchen table. If our three year old is having a snack we have to watch that Harley doesn't take it from him. He knows it's wrong but still does it. We now have him on a good dog food that he seems to really like. Anybody have any suggestions?

phoozles
February 4th, 2008, 06:55 PM
I don't have any suggestions - but I'd like to hear some answers - my kitten Alley has taken to doing the same thing! She's grabbing turkey breasts bigger than her off of our plates! :rolleyes: :yell:

Of course dog training and cat training can sometimes be different, but maybe we can both get some tips! :fingerscr

luckypenny
February 4th, 2008, 09:10 PM
Don't leave any food unattended or within his reach :shrug: ?

clm
February 4th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Don't leave any food unattended or within his reach :shrug: ?

That's the only answer I've ever found.

Cindy

Writing4Fun
February 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
It's the only answer that's worked for me. Although, with kids in the house, it isn't always a good answer, but it's the only one we have. We've tried various booby-traps, but Phoebe is too smart for us. :rolleyes:

Last night, we went out to one of the kids' activities. Our oldest left his school bag on the floor as usual. What was UNusual last night was that he also left his half-finished lunch inside of it, and didn't tell me about it. We came home to find that Phoebe had fished the lunch bag out of the school bag, then fished the lunch out of the half-open lunch bag ... by ripping the lunch bag open completely. :censored:

Like I said, we've tried booby-traps ... cayenne pepper/hot sauce in a hotdog, a cardboard with cans of pennies on top (so she'd knock the pennies onto the ground and scare herself). She either works her way around the trap, or in the case of the hot sauce in the hotdog, she knew there was something wrong with the hotdog and left it alone. :wall: I love that she's so smart, but sometimes she's a little too smart, ya know? I just wish the kids and husband would hurry up and "get" the training so I don't have to worry about the dog eating anything she shouldn't anymore! :frustrated:

Kelly C
February 5th, 2008, 08:45 AM
I have huskies & one will do that too. Another won't and the 3rd one probable would if she were smart enough to figure out the pleasures of counter surfing. With huskies (and many other breeds) getting into a battle of wills is pointless so the best thing is what others have recommended - adjust your habits and household situation so that illegal dining isn't a possibility.

My kitchen is gated and when it isn't I never leave food around. If they never find food on your tables and counters they will stop climbing up. But every time they get rewarded by a good find it just reinforces the behavior. Count yourself lucky - some dogs learn to open cupboards and fridges! --Kelly