Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

question on fur clippers...

rhynes
February 4th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm usually the one that does the grooming of the dog... Tia was sooooo good about it and Rufus is just getting used to being around the clippers... I turn it on and rub him with it just to get him used to it...

I've been to a few stores now and it's always the same style of clippers... small teeth and fairly small head. I have a pair that worked fine on Tia's coat but they won't be able to get through Rufus' coat. He has thick fur and it's just like a sheep fleece.

Can brush and brush, he goes poof for a couple of hours but then goes ratty again... It's like little twists all over his body and he mats fast.

Anybody know of a brand/model that would work for this fleece?

t.pettet
February 4th, 2008, 06:59 PM
I recommend the Andis AGC one speed (two speed heats up blades too quickly) with a #5 blade if you can get through or a #7 if he's really matted up. These blades will leave him really short so he might want to wear a sweater (in the house) for a few weeks.

rhynes
February 5th, 2008, 01:17 PM
hmmm... well, we've been doing everything wrong with this poor pup. I was talking to a lady at the local pet store and she has a bichon too...

Explains that bathing without a good brushing beforehand and air drying are the worst things to do for bichons. His coat is just like sheep fleece, really thick. I didn't realize til last night that his fur is getting really matted. The mats are deep in the fur and I guess our brushing wasn't going deep enough. Spent a couple of hours trying to comb and pick them apart but it'll take a month of sundays to do this...

He's going to need to be clipped short by a groomer then i'll do the maintenance trims every month by the looks of the hair growth. He'll be kept fairly short as he tangles so easily...

Going to be chilly for him for a while.

t.pettet
February 5th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Not only bichons must be combed and de-matted before the bath as water tightens the mats but every breed with fur longer than 1/2 inch. When doing a comb-out its the perfect time to check the entire dog out for parasites, warts, hot spots, tumors or discolored skin. Use an oatmeal shampoo made for sensitive skin and a low setting when blow-drying as pink skinned dogs are more susceptible to become irritated from higher heat levels. While blow-drying brush out with a very soft slicker brush to straighten the curls.