Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Rawhide chew bones - are they ok?

Masha
February 4th, 2008, 11:42 AM
What are your thoughts about pressed rawhide chew bones? A store employee told me that it is full of chemicals and that i shouldn't give this to my dog. Are there healthier alternatives that will not be devoured within 30 minutes.... I am looking for a healthy chewable toy that he will be able to enjoy for quite a while.

We tried beef tendons but he got a major case of the runs... And he devoured it in 20 minutes...

jessi76
February 4th, 2008, 12:03 PM
why longer than 30 minutes? My dog rips through chew things FAST too. I NEVER leave him with any chewable though. I always supervise, just in case. It's just too dangerous to leave a dog with a chewable - it can become lodged, swallowed whole or near whole, choked on, etc...

I give my dog bully sticks (but as I mentioned, I don't leave him alone w/ them). The only type of chew thing I leave him alone with is a nylabone, because he will not ingest it. (not the fully edible kind - he actually doesn't even like those ones) I'm talking about the large size, durable, plastic-y ones.

I think the BEST healthy alternative would be a meaty raw bone, straight from a raw supplier or butcher.

bendyfoot
February 4th, 2008, 01:33 PM
My dogs are big chewers, and so we always have at least half a dozen different kinds of nylabone chews lying around the house....there are actual "edible" ones, too, that can get crunched up pretty quickly, but if you want a longer-lasting one, get the nylon type. My dogs love them. We don't do rawhide, but they get the occasional pig hoof or ear or a bully stick (all of which I find disgusting, but they love them and they have the same "appeal" as rawhide). I don't know, however, if they're any "better" than rawhide.
Maybe someone else here can speak to that?
The nylabones will give you the best bang for the buck, though.

Kinguni
February 4th, 2008, 02:18 PM
Our obedience trainer showed us the best reason not to give dogs rawhide bones, that being a 10 inch long piece she pulled out of a choking dog's gullet.

For Shabba we have a Nylabone Dino Bone as a forever chew, and a Kong which we'll stuff with peanut butter and Evo treats if we go out from time to time. She also gets a couple of soup bones a week which keep her occupied for hours outside.

Ford Girl
February 4th, 2008, 02:25 PM
We dont ever use rawhide, not regular or pressed. Mainly cuz they expend to 4 times their dry size when submerged in to water, I worry about blaot and blockages. I didn't believe it until I tried it, it actually cracked the glass it was in as it slowly expended.

Dazy will only chew her Nyla for 10 mins max, once she realized nothing's coming off or out she tosses it aside. Bully sticks we used to buy when she was younger - she's a power chewer and an 18" bully stick is gone within 40 mins - I find them expensive. :shrug: But they are bone free and disolve/melt as they chew ont hem so less chance of choking.

I don't do pig ears eithers, gone in less then 5 mins, and they crack and break in to pieces that could harm her....I was also told that these are like fast food for dogs, so in moderation only. Small dogs, less powerful chewers might do better on these?

I buy raw or smoked beef bones, they last her longer and are safe. They are $2.50 on Tuesday at the place I go, so I buy 4 a week or so, they are great to give her when you want 30 mins of quiet time.

And like the others said too, never unsupervised. :dog:

marko
February 4th, 2008, 02:33 PM
We have an article that basically echoes the "No" answer in this thread that may also be of interest.

Here's the link
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogtreats.htm

Hope it helps
Marko

rainbow
February 4th, 2008, 02:35 PM
I don't give rawhide or pigs ears either for all the reasons mentioned. The hooves are too hard and can crack teeth. Bully sticks are alright but too expensive. Raw knuckle bones are the best imo but I only give them under supervision.

rainbow
February 4th, 2008, 02:51 PM
We have an article that basically echoes the "No" answer in this thread that may also be of interest.

Here's the link
http://www.pets.ca/articles/article-dogtreats.htm

Hope it helps
Marko

That is a good article. I forgot to mention about the preservatives and chemicals used in rawhide, pigs ears, etc.

I give my dogs raw carrots all the time. Most of it is undigested though as dogs don't have the ability to break down the cellulose in raw veggies but they're good for chewing treats. I heard that broccoli given in large amounts can cause gastric problems. Also, that it should not be fed raw to dogs with thyroid issues.

I didn't know this and would like to know what others think? ....

Boil the bone and then dry in the oven at 350 degrees F until dry (15 minutes). This bone will probably last forever and will do wonders for your dog’s teeth.

Masha
February 4th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Great article! Thanks for the feedback!

The bone recipe sounds interesting, will wait and see what others have to say about it... I hope they sell those at he supermarket, otherwise i will need to find a butcher (not too many in my area - North Toronto)

For now we'll stick to his Nylabone and rope. He doesnt care for the kong, just licks the peanut butter and leaves it...

luckypenny
February 4th, 2008, 03:11 PM
Rawhide gave Lucky bloody, watery diarhea :o . Needless to say, they don't ever get it anymore.

Boil the bone and then dry in the oven at 350 degrees F until dry (15 minutes). This bone will probably last forever and will do wonders for your dog’s teeth.

:eek: Nope, nope, nope. That is totally removing any and all moisture from the bone. If you have a power chewer, chances are good that he/she will splinter the bone.

Don't buy smoked bones from a butcher either. The smoking process uses heat and will remove all moisture from the bones, making them brittle and undigestible if your dogs swallow it.

rainbow
February 4th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Rawhide gave Lucky bloody, watery diarhea :o . Needless to say, they don't ever get it anymore.

:eek: Nope, nope, nope. That is totally removing any and all moisture from the bone. If you have a power chewer, chances are good that he/she will splinter the bone.

Don't buy smoked bones from a butcher either. The smoking process uses heat and will remove all moisture from the bones, making them brittle and undigestible if your dogs swallow it.

That's what I thought. I'd still like to hear if someone has a reason WHY they would do this?

luckypenny
February 4th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Some of the femur bones sold at pet food shops are like these. It's what was recommended to me when I was looking for something for Penny to chew on. I was told that they are "indestructible." Yep, um hmm, Penny managed just fine to splinter off the ends. I brought it back and the sales rep went...":eek:."

Ford Girl
February 4th, 2008, 04:14 PM
That is a good article. I forgot to mention about the preservatives and chemicals used in rawhide, pigs ears, etc.

I give my dogs raw carrots all the time. Most of it is undigested though as dogs don't have the ability to break down the cellulose in raw veggies but they're good for chewing treats. I heard that broccoli given in large amounts can cause gastric problems. Also, that it should not be fed raw to dogs with thyroid issues.

I didn't know this and would like to know what others think? ....

Same with carrots for us too, and frozen green and yellow beans, she likes those and will chew and play with them. Ice cubes too for that matter, she loves them, I make them 1/2 water, 1/2 low sodium beef broth or turkey juice from the pan.

I thought if you cooked the bones it breaks down moisture which causes splintering???

Great article! Thanks for the feedback!

The bone recipe sounds interesting, will wait and see what others have to say about it... I hope they sell those at he supermarket, otherwise i will need to find a butcher (not too many in my area - North Toronto)

For now we'll stick to his Nylabone and rope. He doesnt care for the kong, just licks the peanut butter and leaves it...

We can't do ropes either, Dazy will chew on them for hours and eventually eat the rope bits, it bungs her up something aweful, everytime she sleeps at Skye's she gets her paws on rope toys...no rope toys for us.

As for butchers - every grocery store has them, I get mine from the local IGA or Co-Op, raw...and the pet planet day care I go to sells raw and smoked bones. The ones she eats that are smoked stand up good to her power chops!!

Kinguni
February 4th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Rope just makes a mess with Shabba, so it's not something we'll let her chew. I got concerned she's be ingesting it too and I can't see it being good for a dog. It would keep her busy for hours though.

want4rain
February 4th, 2008, 09:25 PM
ropes can also loose little pieces and get stuck in their intestinal tract.

Mister isnt a huge chewer but that may be because he has to really work on his food. we feed big leg bones (raw) and knuckle bones (raw) giant blocks of ice with goodies hidden in it, he chews up a whole mess of other things like paper towel rolls, aquafina bottles, random stuffed animals (which look like they have good stitching) and any kind of packaging thats cardboard.

we dont feed rawhides, pigs ears, i dont know what a bully is. :)

-ash

clm
February 4th, 2008, 09:32 PM
I don't like rawhide and don't ever give them to any of my dogs.
The only thing I've found that my dogs love and they have never gotten ill from, broken teeth or choked on is bully sticks. They're expensive. I've got to look into a way of buying them in bulk. I buy 8 - 10 of the extra large ones per week (6.99 each) and give 1/2 of one to each of the dogs every morning. So I stopped buying my lunch and coffee at work and bring my own tea bags and lunch and that more than pays for the 7.00 per day for the pups. They chew on them for hours. I don't like or trust rubber or nylon, I prefer natural stuff, so the bully sticks fit the bill for me.

Cindy

clm
February 4th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Another thing I give the pups some times is pork rolls. I believe they're rolled pork hide. Not as thick or as tuff as rawhide, but I don't let them have them often, I don't think they digest it as well as the bully sticks.

Cindy