Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Help! question about post anal gland surgery

doxie_lover2
February 3rd, 2008, 06:56 PM
Hello!
Im new here, and I hope Im posting in the right place. I have a 3 yr old miniature dachshund that had her anal glands removed. It has been 3 days since her surgery and I've noticed when she barks or gets excited a small amount of poop comes out. I was just wondering if this is normal or something I should be worried about. I will be calling the vet tomorrow (they are closed today) but Im really worried about it and thought someone here could ease my mind!!

Thanks so much in advance!!!!

Element~5
February 3rd, 2008, 09:09 PM
The only thing that I can think of is that there has been some sort of damage to the sphincter muscle, which would result in the anus not being able to retain stool. Good luck at the vet :)

albertahorsegal
March 20th, 2008, 10:12 PM
exactly what element said. sometimes the sphincter muscle is really close to the anal gland, and its hard not to cut it. this would cause a loss of control, and exactly what you are describing will happen. dog will cough, bark, anything, and hello!! lol. i don't know if you can rebuild that sphincter, i highly doubt it, you just have to expect it from the dog.

Dr Lee
March 22nd, 2008, 04:44 PM
Good thinking guys!

There are a couple of possibilities. 1) damage to the sphincter muscle and 2) inflammation/damage to the nerve. Both have good news generally. There are several methods for surgical removal of the gland - some include cutting into the sphincter muscle and then reapposing it. Also the glands are just ventral to the control nerve. The nerve is small and often not possible to localize. The nerve can easily be transected - especially if the gland lives a little high and the nerve lives a little low! Also just the surgery itself can lead to normal post operative inflammation which can involve the nerve.

The good news? Well, your description sounds like she is having a little difficulty in control - as opposed to complete fecal incontinence. The 'partial' control means that the nerves are to some degree intact. In all of the scenarios described above - control usually returns to normal. This surgery always runs the risk of fecal incontinence either partial or permanent. Luckily the surgery is rare to have permanent fecal incontinence.

I agree with your plan though to contact your vet on Monday. It sounds like with some time, things should turn out well. Is there any unusual swelling or discharge from the incision site?

Good luck and take care. :pawprint: