Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Once in a while

t.pettet
February 2nd, 2008, 09:41 PM
Sometimes I meet someone who restores my faith in the human race. This new customer brought her dog in this afternoon to get his nails cut. I always ask the owners to stay for such a short appointment and they always have heart-warming stories of their pets. This lady just picked-up this 6 yr. old dog from a rescue as a companion for her own 6 yr. old dog last Sat. and told me his story and what a great time he's having finally getting to do what dogs like best. He was in a shelter in the Montreal area for 2 mos. before going to a rescue. He's a mix of min-pin x chi x dachshund. She said she specifically asked the rescue for the most homely, least likely to be adopted and most needy dog she had in residence. Rocky's story was that he was raised in an apt. in Montreal but when his elderly mum died her son took him to a shelter. He had never gone for a walk outside or stepped on grass or snow as his mum was in a wheel-chair. He was paper trained and spent his life 24/7 in this apt. He has a delicate min-pin face minus almost all his teeth due to dental disease, is about 15 lbs. (1/2 of that is fat), has a long body and skinny tooth-pick legs. His ears are enormous (chi) and he has the chi's bulgy eyes. He is adjusting well, loves going for walks, eating snow and rolling in it and playing with Rupert (her 1st. dog) The only thing he doesn't like is having a sweater put on as of course he's not used to that and his specific diet food. He doesn't understand the elimination outside concept yet but still I can only imagine the joy this little dog feels each morning he wakes up to his new life.

Frenchy
February 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
She said she specifically asked the rescue for the most homely, least likely to be adopted and most needy dog she had in residence.

omg , even if I do know some , we need more people like her ! :angel: this dog will figure out soon that he is in heaven ! :cloud9:

JanM
February 2nd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Yup - gotta love heartwarming stories like this one!

rainbow
February 3rd, 2008, 01:00 AM
Bless this lady that rescued him. :angel: I hope she comes to you often to get his nails clipped so you can update us. Or, better yet, ask her to join us. :thumbs up

chico2
February 3rd, 2008, 08:28 AM
Aww,what a great lady and a very lucky little pup:thumbs up
It's always sooo sad when the owner passes before their beloved pets and when the caretaker,in this case the son,does not love enough to care for the pup his mum loved.
He certainly did not have a great life in an apartement,but I bet he was still loved.

SARAH
February 3rd, 2008, 09:59 AM
Happy little Rocky :cloud9: I'm sure he already knows he's in heaven! If I ever adopt another dog after these two, I'll do the same, pick the least likely candidate. They know they are the last to be considered by everyone and are all the more grateful anf happy, and deserving!

hazelrunpack
February 3rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
I love win-win stories. :cloud9: Thanks for sharing, t.pettet!

TeriM
February 3rd, 2008, 04:20 PM
What a great story :cloud9:.

Kashi
February 3rd, 2008, 04:27 PM
What a heartwarming story !

ancientgirl
February 3rd, 2008, 05:19 PM
What an angel that woman is! All dogs need homes, not just the "pretty" ones.

happycats
February 3rd, 2008, 08:26 PM
Awwww what a great story:lovestruck:

dmc123
February 4th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I love win-win stories. :cloud9: Thanks for sharing, t.pettet!

Exactly what I wanted to say! Great story!

Diane

Love4himies
February 4th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Thanks for sharing that wonderful story.