Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Brushing my Cat

mybubbles65
February 2nd, 2008, 07:42 PM
I have an almost eight month old kitten. I want him to get used to being brushed but he really doesn't like it. He's a DSH and I have been using a slicker brush, the ones with the thin wire bristles. He just tries to chew on the brush and doesn't want me to brush him. Any suggestions on getting him to enjoy being brushed? Is there a different type of brush I should be using?

JanM
February 2nd, 2008, 08:02 PM
I have a soft bristle brush and a slicker brush. My last cat would come running whenever I picked up his brush - he loved it! Shadow, my present cat, only wants to be brushed when I'm grooming the dogs - he insists on being included - so, it's one swipe on a dog, one on the cat :laughing: makes grooming quite interesting... Shadow also likes the shedding comb I use for the dogs - go figure!

I can't give any suggestions on how to make the cat like it more because mine just seem to like it already! But I will suggest maybe a softer brush to start...

Good luck!

t.pettet
February 2nd, 2008, 08:05 PM
If you're using a 'cat slicker' brush (much softer bristles than dog slicker) you're on the right track as long as you don't brush too hard. You might also want to get yourself a dog/cat moulting comb which will get all the loose hair out. Try putting the kitten on the couch next to you, brush him 3 or 4 swipes then give a tiny treat. Start off slowly with a 30 sec. brush the first day working up to a few minutes each session giving treats sporadically so that he'll look forward to your grooming sessions.

growler~GateKeeper
February 2nd, 2008, 09:36 PM
If you want your kitten to love being brushed pick up a Cat Zoom Groom by Kong (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00009ZJ0Q/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=284507&s=kitchen) it is a medium flexible rubber brush that massages as it brushes. You can find them in all pet supply stores. My cat Duffy loves it so much that she demands her brushing after dinner every night. :cat:

krdahmer
February 2nd, 2008, 10:30 PM
Or if fur is an issue... try that Furminator... my SIL got me one and it actually works as well as they claim, it's pricey but well worth it I think. And it doesn't seem to irritate the skin like some brushes.