Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Peeing while asleep ?

Kashi
February 2nd, 2008, 07:13 PM
How odd !

I seriously thought that humans were alone in the issue of 'bedwetting' at night.

I think we might have tuckered Pugsley out too much today - spent a couple hours at the playground with the kids at noon-ish, and he spent most of that time hopping, running and chasing around the snow. He had a hoot for sure.

But - he was asleep in his crate just a little while ago, the crate was open, not closed. He'd been asleep for a bit, then came out looking all sheepish, and fully 'exposed'.

I put him out thinking he had to go pee - and went to retrieve the baby and noticed that Pugsley's bedding looked odd. It was soaked.

Poor guy peed in his sleep :( And looked like he felt bad about it too.

clm
February 2nd, 2008, 09:29 PM
I don't see why bedwetting couldn't happen to a dog too. Especially if he was really tired. Sounds like he had lots of fun to get so tired though. :D

Cindy

Kristin7
February 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
This isn't normal, I'd highly recommend your dog get checked out by a vet. I had a dog who did the same thing and took her to the vet - turns out she had chronic kidney failure and was incontinent. Please have your vet do blood and urine tests to make sure there isn't something serious going on. Yes, dogs do dream but my vet did say peeing the bed is not normal.

Longblades
February 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
If it happens again I'd be going to the Vet too. When our ESS girl had urine that was too alkaline our VEt said it was causing her a burning sensation when she pee'd. So she tried to not pee and got to the point where she just couldn't hold on any longer. Then she would have "accidents" but they were little dribbles, not soakers. When they happened in her sleep it would wake her up but I guess if she was too tired to wake up, like Pugsley, it could have been soakers. She was also highly embarassed at having her mistakes in the house.

want4rain
February 5th, 2008, 01:31 PM
are you unquestionably sure it was pee? unquestionably. sure. it. was. URINE?

i can tell you that dogs are fully capable of wet dreams. find some wild horses and you can drag the story out of me.

-ashley

the gang
February 5th, 2008, 01:52 PM
try and get the sugas checked !! my older min pin did this she was a rescue and we did not catch in time she was a diabect r i p channel brenda and the pins

hazelrunpack
February 5th, 2008, 03:09 PM
are you unquestionably sure it was pee? unquestionably. sure. it. was. URINE?

i can tell you that dogs are fully capable of wet dreams. find some wild horses and you can drag the story out of me.

-ashley

This was my thought, also. If by "fully exposed", Kashi, you mean that he was 'aroused', then it was probably a wet dream rather than an accident. :o It's not uncommon. :shrug: