Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Food and stuff...

rhynes
February 1st, 2008, 06:04 PM
Our bichon frise Rufus has been a little constipated for a few days, had a couple of small poops on the floor while we weren't here but nothing serious. Pretty hard, small and round...

We've been feeding him acana lamb and rice for the last few weeks and he seems to like it. But in the last couple of days, i've been topping it with a bit of wet (Innova Evo beef and rabbit) to see if it'll help curb the constipation. It seems to be working just fine and he loves the mix...

How does everyone feel about acana overall? They have the "lamb and rice" and one other of some salmon mix. I'm going to buy bags of both and kinda change them up periodically so he doesn't get bored eating the same thing over and over... Probably slip some fish oil and wet topper once in a while.

Maybe a downer once in a while to slow him down eh?

By the way, it's so comical when he's in his booties, walks around like a cat on flypaper... But yet it's like he knows they are going to keep his feet warm. I plop him on his butt in my lap and put them on, no fuss no muss. :thumbs up

http://members.shaw.ca/robhynes/rufusboots.jpg

Lukka'sma
February 1st, 2008, 06:17 PM
Rufus is looking pretty fashionable in those boots and the coat.
For the constipation try feeding a bit of canned pumpkin. Just use the plain stuff not the pie filing.

rhynes
February 1st, 2008, 06:21 PM
Pumpkin???? Really??? I'll try that...

Yeah, Rufus has it soooooo ruff. (pardon the pun) :thumbs up

rainbow
February 1st, 2008, 07:35 PM
Cute pic of Rufus in his coat and boots....looks like they match. :D

Acana is a good food. It is made by Champion Pet Foods and they also make Orijen (http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/products/) which is their grain free formula. :thumbs up I sometimes still feed the Acana Salmon & Potato (http://www.championpetfoods.com/dogs/salmonpotato.aspx) when I can't get the Orijen. They also make an Adult Small Breed (http://www.championpetfoods.com/dogs/adult_small.aspx) formula.

Champion Pet Foods also has their own manufacturing plant which is a bonus imo. :thumbs up

rhynes
February 1st, 2008, 07:57 PM
I was just reading up on acana, it's still not the greatest... Orijen is better, have some paid sample bags i'm going to try him on...

rainbow
February 1st, 2008, 08:08 PM
Yes, Orijen is better. :thumbs up Acana is a good food for the price you pay though. The last time I bought it several months ago it was $42 for the large bag. So, when money is tight it is a good choice.

rhynes
February 2nd, 2008, 12:55 AM
Well... I gave him a "raw" marrow bone tonite (shank I think) with a bit of meat on it to test him on it... He went straight to the cage and has literally attacked it, been on it for the past hour... It's funny as heck to watch him with it. First time in my life i've ever given a dog raw anything.

Bought some beef liver strips and beef kidney tonite as well, cooked them about 60-70% (sort of medium well) and am going to freeze them for treats for him... Give him something to gnaw on once in a while and I just don't want blood all over the house...

Hope that is ok to do.

luckypenny
February 2nd, 2008, 02:19 AM
Nothing wrong with adding a little raw. Just give teeny amounts of organs such as liver and kidney though because too much can give your pup runny poop.

Edited to add that too much bone marrow will do the same. I learned the hard way :o.

Kelly C
February 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Sometimes dehydration causes constipation. I have a cat with aging kidneys that often doesn't drink enough and has been constipated to the point of blockage on occasion.

Are you feeding dry food? You can soak the food in water for a half hr before feeding. Another way to get them to drink is to put a little bit of something appealing (like canned food) in water. They still need their regular water too.

Marrow bone can cause constipation and a lot of new foods can cause the opposite - as well a very upset tummy.

Dehydration my not be your problem but you could try some of those things & see if it helps.

Kelly

Kelly C
February 3rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
I forgot to mention that trying every meat source in existance isn't a good idea either as you may run out of alternatives should your dog start developing allergies. My vet told me that one day. You can't have an allergy to something you've never had before. --Kelly

rhynes
February 3rd, 2008, 12:15 PM
well, lesson learned... I gave him a little bit of liver on friday night, just a thin strip and he loved it, no effect... tried him on a bit of kidney last night and it didn't go over very well. He got me up at 1 am this morning howling at the door, frantic to get outside because of diarrhea. Up again at 4 to a bit of puke and to go out again.

It was so pitiful, i gave him a bath at midnight last night figuring he was inside for the night. He was outside by 1 am and still not fully dry but no choice cause of the diarrhea (still -20's here). He stayed under the blanket after that shivvering for a bit, and pressed right into me for quite a while.

Seems to be fine this morning tho, still his dorky little self, laying beside me gnawing on his bone. Going to stay away from the extras for a while, poor little thing.

want4rain
February 3rd, 2008, 03:28 PM
haha my dog Mister (95+lbs) hoarked down half a pork kidney (slipped it off the counter on me!!!!) and had the runs for the day. we feed raw exclusively so it kinda surprised me.

next time you get a chicken, pull a little of the bony back off of it with the meat and fat attached or pick up some chicken necks, see how your woofer likes chewing that one up!

-ashley

rhynes
February 4th, 2008, 02:43 PM
Well, he seems better this morning, no more of the runs thank god... He's so good about getting outdoors now.

No more kidney but i'll definitely be finding a good supplier for raw bones :) he loves them. It's so funny, normally when I head to the bedroom he's running ahead of me to get in bed... When he had the raw bone, he'd look at me, look at the cage where his bone is, look at me again and then run for the cage... :laughing: I'm getting shanked for a bone.