Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

wireless fence ?

GSDog
January 31st, 2008, 10:40 PM
i was wondering if any of you guys have install an in ground fence or maybe know someone that has one.

if so do you think its great or just a gaget? hard to explain but have a look at this webpage and you will understand more...

http://www.gundogsupply.com/inguandfaq.html

my German Shepherd is only 3.5months old but thought in the spring get something like this wireless fence...i have a big yard but only the front part isnt fenced cause it falls like in a long driveway...hes a good puppy already knows his sit, stay, come etc with and without a lease and its very good for his age...just that the front street often cars goes a bit too fast and some dont bother doing their stops...a dog is a dog it only needs that one time that his head is elsewhere and crosses the street...

thank you for your input

14+kitties
February 1st, 2008, 12:04 AM
If this fence is the one that works in conjuction with the collar (and I assume it does because how else would it work?) then you may want to watch this....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lk3YcuzUVqc

hazelrunpack
February 1st, 2008, 12:32 AM
One huge drawback to these fences is that if your dog has a strong prey drive, the fence won't stop him. The desire to get to the prey will outweigh the unpleasantness of crossing the fence. :shrug: So if your dog is one to chase squirrels or rabbits, you may find that the fence won't keep him in the yard, anyway.

want4rain
February 1st, 2008, 08:13 AM
the other thing to look at is things can get in but your dog cant get out, it leaves them feeling very insecure. my neighbors have an invisible fence and their dogs are horrible barkers because of it. i would strongly suggest a regular fence.

-ashley

GSDog
February 1st, 2008, 03:15 PM
first of all ive seen all the youtube clips and its not like that for a dog...think for one minute a dog has thicker skin plus all the fur and if it was cure and not human it wouldnt be on the market...and i know someone that has one its trust me its not like what these clips on youtube shows...and i saw this show once on tv The Dog Whisper and he used it on a big dog cause it kept running after the tractor when it was in the field working...and dont forget these are kids testing collar and i work with kids and trust me they love to put on a good show...yes it gives you a shock but never like what you think...also some you can control the pressure of the shock...if you buy a cheap one you pay for what you get...

i know for the fence its controlled by are remote...and its not a shock wave but a vibratrion...like i said, you pay for what you get...

thank you for your inputs..it was interesting...:thumbs up

kara1
February 1st, 2008, 05:35 PM
Ive heard of other dogs coming into this area and attacking the dogs that are trapped in there. sometimes killing them but whats to stop unfortunately nowadays kids or others from coming in and harming your dog and your dog not being able to run away

Kinguni
February 1st, 2008, 05:50 PM
I was reading an article the other day about fences, and the author started off by mentioning that his dog was barking, so he looked out the window to see it barking through his fence at a neighbour's labs who had come to visit and still had their invisible fence collars on....

YMMV, but if you really want to keep your dog safe either finish the fence, or create a safe fenced area.

GSDog
February 1st, 2008, 06:16 PM
i was just curious to see if any of you guys heard of it or know someone...my backyard is all fenced 6foot but for the front part, it isnt so yes either i fenced around the driveway or just leave it and make sure we are always there with the dog...anyhow i never left any dogs outside on its own..always better to keep an eye out on them while they are still pups...they can be up to no good...:rolleyes:

dmc123
February 1st, 2008, 07:14 PM
We have a chainlink fenced in lot, approx 30 x 50 feet. There is no way we could have an in ground fence, not that our 3 dogs couldn't be trained, but too many around here let their dogs run free. I like the fence to keep them in and protected. They love their lot.

Diane

PennyC
February 13th, 2008, 08:04 PM
I know my aunt has installed one and she has had no problems with it, except if the dog bolts it across the fence, he doesn't recieve the shock until after he is gone. and then cannot come back into the yard because he recieves a shock trying to get back in