Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I'm wondering how to handle a situation..

JanM
January 31st, 2008, 08:07 PM
There were 2 Great Danes - one very large, one not quite as tall. They live together. Amber and the smaller one started to play when the big one came to play too. Amber was intimidated because both Danes started to bark at her - one on each side of her. She went down, cowering, and they started to bite at the back of her neck - they seemed to take turns.

I stopped it and stood between Amber and the largest dog - she was still cowering, tail between her legs and seemed really distressed. I couldn't get between both dogs and Amber because they were still on each side of us. I finally led her away, keeping her very close to me and the owners then left with their dogs - going the other way.

I stopped it because Amber was intimated and I was afraid it would turn into a fight - she would be defending herself.

Any insights or suggestions should this happen again? I didn't know what else to do! Should I have waited to see what would happen? I wonder if I'm an over-protective doggie Mom at times but I hate to see any dog in a state of distress.

Frenchy
January 31st, 2008, 08:13 PM
One dog , I would have waited , but 2 dogs on one of my dog ? Nope , I would have done the same thing , and would have told the owners to call their dogs. :shrug:

hazelrunpack
January 31st, 2008, 08:22 PM
Our dogs play like that with each other all the time, but if the 'popular' one (the one taking the brunt of the barking/scruffing) looks at all distressed or cowed, I wade in and break it up. One-on-one I will sometimes let go longer--but if it's two or more on one I do exactly what you did.

Interestingly, when I wade in, it sometimes gives the cowed dog a little courage and often it will start playing in earnest instead of cowering and getting scruffed. Courage booster: the Power of Mommy! :D

jesse's mommy
January 31st, 2008, 08:31 PM
I've done the same thing when Jesse. We took her to the dog park one day and for some reason (even though she is spayed) she was giving off the "mount me" scent or vibe to ALL dogs she was around. She obviously didn't react well to this and starting to whip around at the dogs after yelping a few times. Unfortunately I was the only one there with her and the other "dog parents" felt it was alright for this to happen so I just jumped in there and kept separating them and eventually took Jesse to the other side of the park and soon after, left all together.

So, personally, I think you did the right thing. :thumbs up

Lukka'sma
January 31st, 2008, 09:39 PM
I think you did the right thing as well. If you had waited it out and both danes got aggressive with Amber, it would have been a very bad situation. It's been my experience that when things go wrong with dogs, they go very wrong and very quickly. You may have gotten more than you bargained for had you allowed it to progress. If I were to see Lukka cowering from another dog I would take her out of the situation too.

JanM
February 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
Thank you, Thank you! It bothers me to see a dog in fear and I was afraid Amber might have decided she had to defend herself. I didn't second guess at the time but I sure did after!

Thanks again.

Ford Girl
February 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Amber would have defended herself, you could probably bet on that. 2 dogs from the same pack will do that to other dogs, pack mentality...my friends rotties do that to Dazy and she doesn't like them one bit. One hovers while the other barks and circles. She cowers and eventually shows teeth, and if it escalates she will be the first one to snap or show agression.

The 2 danes were dominating her, she knew it (cowering), but you know Amber isn't the laid back kinda dog that will roll over or start playing.

I would have done the same thing for sure. With all the other issues we deal with - the aggression, rude dogs, etc...protecting them is our responsibility - you are her leader, that is your job. Even tho she is big and brave at times, she needs to be able to count on you to manage the situation and defend her. Letting her battle it out would destroy her trust in you as her leader.

You did good Jan. :grouphug:

JanM
February 1st, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks, Ford Girl - support is always helpful!

There's an update now too - the 2 danes were at the Beach again this morning so I left Amber off-leash. The owner had their leash this morning and had a pinch-collar on the big Dane - because of yesterday. Apparently she did not have her leash yesterday and, bless her heart, she called a Great Dane rescue lady to describe the situation and ask for advice! Who could ask for anything more than a responsible dog companion! Whenever Max, the big guy, started acting up, on went the leash and he had to either sit or lie down..

There were no untoward incidents today :D Some days life is very, very good!

geisha
February 4th, 2008, 05:39 PM
The Beach...Please don't tell us the temperature. It's warming up here, a whopping -17C and we still have a ton of snow.:wall: