Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Silly question RE: Kongs

Gibbons
January 31st, 2008, 06:11 PM
So, I bought tango and schroder a kong.. just one, to see if they like it.

I'm a little bit baffled as to WHAT to put in it. They don't like peanut butter, so recently I used hot dog water (i gave them hotdogs as training treats - cooked till they're hard and a bit crunchy and cut into bite-size pieces) mixed w/ mushed-up rice. I also tried a teeny bit of wet cat food (any more, their walks become VERY long and messy... )

I can't think of anything else to put in it.. what do you guys use? And how do you keep it from dripping out - I've heard you should freeze it, but doesn't it just drip all over the freezer?

dustybird
January 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
My mom put's dog cookies inside hers, not too small but ones that need a little push to fit inside, as her dog chews the kong the cookies slowly break up and bits fall out. Then he licks them up and starts all over until no more goodies fall out.

BusterBoo
January 31st, 2008, 06:47 PM
Buster loves Peanut Butter, but you can also use Cheese Whiz if your dog likes cheese. I normally stuff some PB in each end, then a small cookie in each hole. Most days it is empty when I get home, but occasionally, after 8 hours, Buster hasn't touched it :shrug:

Also, cottage cheese or yougurt, if you are going to freeze it. It might make a mess when it thaws, but if you are using it as a treat in a crate, the mess won't be too widely spread! :D

sugarcatmom
January 31st, 2008, 08:07 PM
Moistened kibble smooshed into the Kong and then frozen. Cream cheese if your dog can handle dairy. What about canned dog food rather than cat food?

H.P.
January 31st, 2008, 08:32 PM
I mix a little bit of kibble with low fat yogurt, with a piece of kibble in the bottom hole and a cookie hanging out the top and freeze it for a low fat, all day popcicle

Gibbons
January 31st, 2008, 08:32 PM
I did think about wet dog food when I first bought it, but didn't think to buy any. I give my cat the wet food, and had it on hand.

Thanks for the suggestions! They do well with dairy (based on what we've tested with them) so I'll try the cream cheese/ cheese whiz. And rather than eating dinner out of a bowl, why not out of a kong?

rainbow
January 31st, 2008, 08:33 PM
Here's some suggestions from the Kong company:

http://www.kongcompany.com/worlds_best.html

jessi76
February 1st, 2008, 09:48 AM
to prevent it from dripping all over, I put mine in a small cup in the freezer. the cup will catch whatever drips out before it's frozen.

some things I have used...

chicken pieces
mild cheeses - I use mozzarella cheese sticks cut into pieces.
beef pieces
kibble (I pick up free samples from the store alot, and since it's a brand my dog doesn't eat daily, he thinks the sample kibble is "special")
canned tuna
canned salmon (no bones)
carrot pieces
mandarin oranges
plain yogurt mixed w/ the oranges
plain yogurt mixed w/ a dab of peanut butter - to make a "mouse"-like filling
lite cream cheese (just to block up the holes - I don't fill the whole thing w/ it)
dog biscuits
liver biscotti
training treats
turkey bacon pieces
scrambled eggs

I make my dog a KONG almost daily, so I try to get creative to keep it interesting. If I only put a cookie in each day, he'd be bored with it. so I like to mix it up w/ different stuff. of course it does take a little planning ahead. (I normally cook chicken, fish, beef, pork, etc. for dinner, and I'll set aside a tiny bit for the kong the next morning)

Gibbons
February 1st, 2008, 03:44 PM
For some reason I had it in my head that you only put liquids or spreadable stuff inside of a Kong... It didn't even occur to me to try pieces of things! Haha, I can just picture Tango getting frustrated when licking doesn't make it come out. I'm kind of excited about this because I can experiment and find their favorite foods (keeping in mind the list of things dogs must not eat, of course).