Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Thought this was kinda cool

Gibbons
January 31st, 2008, 04:39 PM
I found this on kijiji.ca (I look at the "dogs for sale" sometimes- i'd never BUY one, god forbid supporting BYB or puppy mill, but I look!) and I saw this add ...

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-pets-dogs-puppies-for-sale-Adopt-A-Puppy-W0QQAdIdZ36840534

For a dog for sale for $10,000 - my first reaction was "what??" but the ad was really good... and said what I wanted to email to ALL these people who BYB. Grr.

Here's the article in LONG form:

Are you looking for a puppy?

This is our dog Panda... she is 12 years old and we are selling her for $10,000 firm, which we believe is a reasonable price due to sentimental value. She is kind of fat and has lost most of her teeth, hence the discounted price. If you consider the asking price too high, then please continue reading for less expensive options on a pre-loved unit with less wear and tear on them...!

Tonka was an 9 year old mixed breed dog, beautiful as a pup and taken into a loving home from an animal shelter in 1999. He was loved by an older couple, Elsie and Peter, who were married for 49 years. Elsie and Peter raised 3 children, had three grandchildren, one great grandchild, and a large comfortable home. Tonka adored his home life, was spoiled with treats, visits from the family and grandkids, and slept in a warm, comfortable bed every night.

In 2007, Elsie became ill, and passed away shortly thereafter. Tonka and Peter became even closer, depending on each other for love and companionship for the next few months, they became inseparable.

After 49 years together, Peter soon was unable to carry on without Elsie and passed away in late 2007. The three children, having lost both parents within a year, were devastated. They lived in different cities, had children of their own, and were tasked with selling a home with almost 50 years of memories contained within. Sadly, and through no fault of their own, no one could provide a home for Tonka, and he was surrendered to the local animal shelter.

Tonka had been plucked from a comfortable family life and found himself sleeping on a concrete floor behind a chain link fence in his temporary home. What had he done to deserve this, he had thought? He didn’t know any of these people, he can’t sleep at night because of the barking and noise, and constantly had tears in his eyes. The staff at the shelter are wonderful, loving people who always spent as much time with their animals as possible. Many of the staff worked for free, brought food and supplies from home, paid for office supplies out of their own pockets, came in on days off, and even took animals home if they required extra attention and care. There always seemed to be an endless supply of animals coming through the door, and there was a severe shortage of kennels and cages to provide space for these lost and abandoned pets.

There was usually one staff member who took Tonka out for a short walk in the mornings, spending 10 to 15 minutes a day with him while his kennel was cleaned, and he could feel the sun on his face for a few minutes….

At 7:10 am, the morning shift arrived as usual, the kennel lights flicked on, and another day was about to start. This morning, however, was different. A large man with a friendly face appeared at Tonka’s kennel door, bent down to pick him up, and patted him on the head. He said nothing as he gently carried Tonka to the exam room where two other staff members were waiting. Tonka didn’t see his favourite staff member in the room, and would never see her again….

At 7:37 am on January 17th 2008, only five days after he had arrived at the shelter, Tonka was killed. 18 minutes later, Tonka’s kennel was occupied by another homeless dog who awaits the same fate. On this particular day , the veterinarian who administered the needle would help birth a foal, save the life of a cat who had been poisoned and set the broken leg of a dog that had been hit by a car. He also ended the life of eight dogs and cats at the shelter before his day even started. Twenty years ago, when the vet decided to help animals, little did he know that on average, he would take more lives than he would save.

We can’t blame the vet, he is donating his time and expertise to the shelter every day, the shelter staff genuinely love animals, and offer a little piece of themselves to every helpless creature that comes through their door.

What can you do? If you really want to help, adopt an animal from your local shelter! There are thousands of homeless animals looking for a loving home. And every one of them has a story to tell. Unfortunately, it is too late to help Tonka, but you can be a hero, save a life, adopt an animal…At the very least, take your family for a visit to your local shelter, walk through and see the wonderful and thankless work they do, bring a bag of food or other donations. Offer food bowls, blankets, bleach, used computers, office supplies, anything that you think will help.

Please, DO NOT buy an animal from backyard breeders! In the last 24 hours, there have been 47 individual puppies listed on this site for sale! You will see dogs for sale on this site that are all cute, have adorable names like labradoodles, maltipoos, jack a poos etc etc…

They are all advertised as coming from family homes, lovingly raised with kids, cats etc… and for $400 to $800 ! There is only one reason people sell dogs and that is for a profit. No matter what they tell you, they are unscrupulous breeders who let greed get in the way. These dogs are not registered, are not purebreds, come from over bred mothers and have not been genetically tested. Do the math, 6 puppies at $400 each? If you are looking for a purebred puppy, contact the Canadian Kennel Club for a list of registered, reputable breeders in you area.

Rabies in Ontario. The first reported human case of rabies in Ontario in 20 years. A lady buys an infected puppy at a flea market in Toronto for $150. The puppy broker profits. The puppy becomes ill and where does the puppy owner take the dog? To the Toronto Humane Society (THS), an organization that is funded 100% on donations alone. 186 people in Ontario receiving rabies vaccinations. $1,000 per person for treatment, the “puppy broker” who sold the infected dogs at a flea market has his business “temporarily” suspended? Who is paying for all this? The puppy broker? The purchaser of the puppy? The taxpayer?

Please, share this ad with your friends, co workers, family. Get the word out. If this ad saves the life of one dog, then we have done something miraculous. Somewhere, today, someone will take home a pet… lets work together to make sure a sweet old dog can live out their life in peace and love. We are nothing if we don’t try. I sincerely appreciate your time in reading this ad, please take the time to send it to someone… Also, feel free to copy the entire article and pictures to post on other web sites or classified ad pages

krdahmer
January 31st, 2008, 04:52 PM
:cry:http://bestsmileys.com/crying/4.gif :sad:

Frenchy
January 31st, 2008, 08:10 PM
:sad: so true .

I wish I could empty all the shelters and bring them back home with me. That's how I got my Sam , the same day he was suppose to be put to sleep. :sad:

danaekitty
February 1st, 2008, 10:47 AM
My boyfriend has it in his head that as soon as we get a larger house, he's going out and getting the first puppy he sees - I can't wait until we move and I can show him this article - I've saved it in my email as ammo.
Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention!

SARAH
February 1st, 2008, 10:51 AM
:sad: so true .

I wish I could empty all the shelters and bring them back home with me. That's how I got my Sam , the same day he was suppose to be put to sleep. :sad:

And Sheba was close too :cry: poor Tonka, so sad.

Frenchy
February 1st, 2008, 10:55 AM
And Sheba was close too

Yep , same shelter than Sam. I got a couple out of there just in time :dog: thanks to the shelter employees that are nice enough to try to place these dogs before their due date.