Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I think I made a huge mistake..

JanM
January 30th, 2008, 08:00 PM
it's back to square one with Amber showing aggression to other dogs! Over the past few days I've noticed how cocky she has been and yesterday we met two beautiful 1-yr old standard poodles - Amber took exception to the black one by growling at her. She didn't seem to mind the apricot one at all.

I made her lie down and the owners and I talked for a few minutes then we parted ways - they went one way and we went another.

Amber has been making decisions on her own too - we often go across a road - where both dogs stop, wait, then heel when we cross. Yesterday Amber just crossed the road in spite of my calling her back.

Is it possible that my checking Amber over after the dog fight on Saturday (that the other dog started) could make her think I was praising her for the fight? Or could this be just another "phase" she is going through as part of the "terrible twos"??

Any insight would be appreciated!

Today I put her on the 30' leash but we didn't meet any other dogs!

Frenchy
January 30th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Is it possible that my checking Amber over after the dog fight on Saturday (that the other dog started) could make her think I was praising her for the fight?

Unless you said : GOOD GIRL AMBER ! :laughing: I don't think so. Maybe she only needs to be reminded about who's the boss. :shrug:

cockermother
January 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
I don't think checking the dog after the fight gave her the wrong idea, I can't see how she could interpret that as praise, unless she thought that because the dog attacked her she "defended" (herself or you) and got big ideas about her place in the pack!

I wanted to pose a related thought to this: is it possible for dogs to"forget" commands just like that? Mine has days where he just seems to "forget" certain commands (selective memory!!) and then the next day, is fine.

Ford Girl
January 30th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Oh Jan, you know how I feel...:grouphug: Back to doing a bit more structure maybe? Not sure how firm you are already...maybe she needs to be challanged in a good way, by you...maybe some one on one attention and training, not sure what she knows...but even teaching them a trick or a bunch of sits and stays, down and stays...etc...its something to try in the mean time. Something positive and fairly easy. I find if I have a good day with Dazy as in structured, like a walk or 15 mins of clicker training, she's just a little more at ease...if that make sense?? :shrug:

I don't think checking her was praise either, not unless there were baby noises and cutsie talk, calm comforts ok. :) I don't think it's in us no to.

What you did was good, having her lay waiting. :) At least that shows you had control of the situation.

JanM
January 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the comments! I would hate to think that my checking her for any bites or sores would be to blame - 'cause I'd probably check her again in a similar situation - just to make sure she was ok! I sure didn't praise her but I was worried that maybe that's what had triggered her recently attitude :D

I'm now thinking that I've probably not been as much of a leader as she needs so, yup - back to school for both of us. I'll keep her on the 30' leash for a few days as a reminder and I'll do more of the basic obedience stuff when we're out meandering - hopefully, all will be well!

Thanks again!

jessi76
January 31st, 2008, 07:43 AM
Amber has been making decisions on her own too - we often go across a road - where both dogs stop, wait, then heel when we cross. Yesterday Amber just crossed the road in spite of my calling her back.

Today I put her on the 30' leash but we didn't meet any other dogs!

I think keeping her on a leash is a good idea. crossing the road on her own is just plain dangerous. if she can't remain in a heel position, then back on leash she should go. I often have to remind my own dog of the rules here & there.

Then again, just like people, dogs don't instantly "like" every other dog they meet. I'd cut her some slack in that department, and not try to press the issue. as long as she can maintain a calm down or sit while you and the other owner talk, that's impressive enough.

if this fight was recent she could be apprehensive about strange dogs. I certainly would be a bit nervous around strangers if I had just been in a scuffle!

JanM
January 31st, 2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Jessi76 "if this fight was recent she could be apprehensive about strange dogs. I certainly would be a bit nervous around strangers if I had just been in a scuffle!"

It is so easy to forget the basics and get caught up in the drama! The fight was recent and it just didn't cross my mind that she could be nervous of others!

We'll be going out in an hour or so, so now I'm looking forward to it and hoping we do meet some new dogs!