Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sensitive stomach???

lindiak007
January 30th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I know vomiting and diarrhea are expected signs of switching dog food from dry kibble to raw, but....
My dog (INDIE, beagle-25% dachshund)used to eat dry kibble with dry freezed raw food (Stella&Chewys'). What he finds, he eats as well (on the street and when I want to stop him, he just swallows it:dog:) :
the muffin papers on the street are digestable, the bones, etc...even a condom;))) was digestible....
The problem is that we switched to BARF prepared patties, and he was ok. After 1 week or so, he has got really bad diarrhea (just water) and he vomited. In one day he vomitted like 9 times, even he has had nothing in his stomach, he was vomiting the water / fluid that stomach produces.

That was his worst diarrhea/ vomiting ever. He was even shaking so badly - his hind legs especially. I took him to vet and told him that we have switched to raw food and I expected a bit of these problems but not in such a extensive way.The vet has said that he was not the fan of raw food. He took blood test and xtrays, just in case nothing is stuck in INDIE's stomach. And he said that Indie should be on "ID, prescription diet" food for long time because he "has" sensitive stomach and because we took him to vet because of diarrehea 6 months ago. => conclusion Indie has sensitive stomach.Also, he thought it could have been pancreatitis....that is another thing I have read with switching to BARF, that can develop. INDIE got fluids as well, because he didn't want to drink / eat at all.

My question is: if being now and 6 months ago at vet for diarrhea means sensitive stomach???? I mean, I take INDIE to vet if any small thing is going on.Don't have people bad stomachs once in a while???? I know that I haven't started with BARF the best way...I bought the "BARF combination patties" with lamb, beef,....I gues, lamb is veeeery fat and I should have started like with chicken, right? But diarrhea appearde after more than a week....Could it be a bacteria somehow????
Now I feed him on "ID" ;( only
My other question: I want to try BARF again,...if INDIE experiences vomiting/ diarrhea again with chicken raw patties, shalll I just continue with raw, even he has those problems???
Or, if he has really sensitive stomach, which kind of raw meat should I feed him and how long should be the transition?

Thank you for reading this thread and looking forward to your advices. Sorry if the language is not best, English is my second language
:fingerscr

luckypenny
January 30th, 2008, 08:50 PM
Have you considered feeding just plain raw, not the store bought patties? This way, you control everything your dog eats. You can get more ideas from the many threads in the raw feeding forum.

Tommysmom
January 30th, 2008, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't consider two events 6 months apart to mean he has a 'sensitive tummy'. What you've described is similar to what happens to my dog when he eats some of the things he's allergic or sensitive to... it's EXACTLY what happened to us about 5 hours after he had pupperoni sticks at my aunt-in-law's house. If they ruled out pancreatitis, I would try feeding him something - either raw, barf, or kibble - with a few less ingredients to start off with so you can tell if there is maybe something that just doesn't agree with him. I was going to try the prepared patties too, but they just contain such a variety I can't be absolutely sure that something won't bug my pup and if it did, I wouldn't know exactly what it was.

What kind of ingredients did the kibble you were using have? If it was a chicken based kibble, and he was ok on that, then if you want to feed raw or home-cooked I would start with chicken (or whatever was in the kibble). I just wouldn't use the prepared patties, make your own so you know exactly what you're getting.

lindiak007
January 30th, 2008, 09:05 PM
yes,....i would try that as well,....but still have this question...
My other question: I want to try BARF again,...if INDIE experiences vomiting/ diarrhea again with chicken raw patties/ even with own raw food as you have suggested, shalll I just continue with raw, even he has those problems???
Or, if he has really sensitive stomach, which kind of raw meat should I feed him and how long should be the transition?

lindiak007
January 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM
I wouldn't consider two events 6 months apart to mean he has a 'sensitive tummy'. What you've described is similar to what happens to my dog when he eats some of the things he's allergic or sensitive to... it's EXACTLY what happened to us about 5 hours after he had pupperoni sticks at my aunt-in-law's house. If they ruled out pancreatitis, I would try feeding him something - either raw, barf, or kibble - with a few less ingredients to start off with so you can tell if there is maybe something that just doesn't agree with him. I was going to try the prepared patties too, but they just contain such a variety I can't be absolutely sure that something won't bug my pup and if it did, I wouldn't know exactly what it was.

What kind of ingredients did the kibble you were using have? If it was a chicken based kibble, and he was ok on that, then if you want to feed raw or home-cooked I would start with chicken (or whatever was in the kibble). I just wouldn't use the prepared patties, make your own so you know exactly what you're getting.

Ok, thank you ,that makes sense....if the diarrhea appears again, should I continue with raw anyway and eventually he get used to ?

Tommysmom
January 30th, 2008, 09:37 PM
I'm not an expert on raw, you'd be better off reading the raw feeding forum on here because these folks know what they're talking about! Diarrhea can often be caused by feeding too much though, or feeding the wrong balance of organs and stuff like that... if you really want to feed raw, I would read the forum and start off with limited ingredients. If you're still having some issues at that point, come on back and I'm sure lots of the raw people could help you fine-tune the process:).

lindiak007
January 30th, 2008, 09:57 PM
feeding too much?i was actually following the 2% of body weight for dog who walks cca 3 hours a day, otherwise is pretty sleepy inside the apartment

Tommysmom
January 30th, 2008, 10:00 PM
I didn't mean that you were feeding too much now... just that you asked what if the chicken still caused diarrhea should you continue raw... and that's one of the things that COULD cause diarrhea sometimes. Diarrhea doesn't always mean something terribly wrong, although sometimes it does.

lindiak007
January 30th, 2008, 10:09 PM
aha....oki:clown:
got it....
what is the best choice to start...beef? chicken? turkey?

Tommysmom
January 30th, 2008, 10:11 PM
I would start with whatever he was eating when he was doing ok before... and then check out the raw forum for more ideas.

lindiak007
January 30th, 2008, 10:57 PM
well, he was doing well just one week on combination of meats....(that contained the lamb as well)
i do not know if one week means doing good ???:cry:

Love4himies
January 31st, 2008, 07:37 AM
I have read somewhere that when switching to a raw diet, dogs and cats need a digestive enzyme (plant based only) sprinkled on their food for a while to help them digest it, otherwise it can lead to vomiting and diarrhea.

Don't give up yet on the raw, but do post on the Raw food forum to get some good suggestions.

want4rain
January 31st, 2008, 01:42 PM
start back at square one. pick up a few whole chickens, cut off a reasonable portion and then blanch the outside. do NOT COOK IT, just get a rather large pot of water boiling, dip the chicken in there for no more than 30 seconds. then feed the meat and bones whole. feed the blanched chicken for a week. if things straighten out, then go to unblanched chicken and try to add a chicken liver for each whole chicken fed. you can feed that over two days so as you arent feeding too much liver in a day. it will loosen the stool some but not enough to cause any alarm. if THAT goes well, feed your regular meals of chicken the followign week but add a tiny bit of turkey, fish or beef in. if THAT goes well, for the next week make which ever you choose (last weeks tiny bits of meat) more of a meal and see how THAT goes. you want to work to a point where your dog is eating a different meat each day. every time
you successfully add in a meat, keep a meal that week as a meal. it shoudl look like this-

week 1
M-F chicken

week 2
M-Sat chicken w/ tiny piece of fish
Sun fish

week 3
M-F chicken w/ tiny piece of turkey
Sat turkey
Sun fish

week 4
M-T chicken w/ tiny piece of beef
F beef
Sat turkey
Sun fish

week 5
M-W chicken w/ tiny piece of pork
T pork
F beef
Sat turkey
Sun fish

if a meat doesnt work, go back to the previous weeks schedule. once the muscle meat is accepted, the organs shoudl be fine also. keep 10% of his diet organs with 5% of that being liver. easily found livers include chicken, beef and turkey. you can find pork kidneys and talk to your butcher if lung and other organs are available. we feed pork, turkey, chicken, several different fish, beef, lamb and deer regularly. variety is important in a raw meat only diet!

to also say, my dog Mister had the explodabutt at that same age. see if time doesnt work through it. it took a week or so but he pulled through fine. :) we were a little stressed because he has a really big kennel and it was REALLY hard to get out the door without spilling poo all over but we survived too. :)

please do start a thread in the raw forum, many more members will see it there!

-ashley

lindiak007
January 31st, 2008, 06:35 PM
thank you very much for response. i try that :thumbs up