Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

CANIDAE - where is it made?

Masha
January 30th, 2008, 06:06 PM
Does CANIDAE have their own plant or do they outsource the production and packaging of their foods? (couldn't see any info on their website, could have missed it...)

SolaMio
January 30th, 2008, 07:00 PM
According to the Canidae site, they do not import ingredients from overseas:

It appears from the latest news within our industry that all recalls were from protein concentrates imported from China. CANIDAE does not use any protein concentrates, or grain fractions and we do not import any ingredients from China or overseas.

http://www.canidae.com/recall.html

My supplier told me the company is a small one in California, with less than 30 employees (but I haven't found info on the site to support the claim other than the fact that the HQ are in California- maybe someone else knows).

There is also a declaration on the site regarding the quality of the ingredients:
http://www.canidae.com/ingredients/declaration.html

I know we're not really supposed to promote any particular brand, but I do like this food and feed it to my dog. She likes it and also the snap biscuits as treats. :thumbs up

-SolaMio

rainbow
January 30th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Canidae is manufactured at the Pied Piper plant in Texas. I've also heard that Canine Caviar is made there as well. :pawprint:

Masha
January 30th, 2008, 07:09 PM
Thank you!

Kinguni
January 30th, 2008, 08:16 PM
According to Whole Dog Journal Canidae dry dog foods are produced at the Western Pet Food Company/Canidae Division in Hamlin Texas.

geisha
February 1st, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hey Kinguni, how come you got your Whole Dog Journal a whole day before I did? :laughing:

rainbow
February 1st, 2008, 02:59 PM
According to Whole Dog Journal Canidae dry dog foods are produced at the Western Pet Food Company/Canidae Division in Hamlin Texas.

I guess they must have switched because it was Canidae that told me their food was manufactured at Pied Piper two years ago. I wonder if it has anything to do with the Canine Caviar recall. :shrug:

I just emailed Canidae again for clarification. Will post when I get an answer back. :)

Kinguni
February 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hey Kinguni, how come you got your Whole Dog Journal a whole day before I did? :laughing:

Read it online! :thumbs up