Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

I hate my job

Gibbons
January 30th, 2008, 05:11 PM
So I just started this new job, and when I started it was great. It went steadily downhill from there, and now four months later I've decided it's the devil.

Here's what I learned today:

I can never get promoted (no new openings are planned for the next 6-10 years, the people they have - when they leave- will not be replaced)

I can't transfer to another department to get promoted or even for a change of pace- no one will hire from my department any more.

I will never get a raise- they've phased them out

I will never be guaranteed a good schedule (right now I work 4-12 pm, tues-wed off, next month I could have 8-4, sun-mon off)

Nothing is based on seniority- vacation, scheduling, when you take your lunch, etc.

I don't get bonuses

We do not acknowledge a job well done, or if you go above-and-beyond and do something great (I asked, this is what they said!) - we only acknowledge mistakes made, because we "don't have the manpower to thank you for doing your job".

So now that I've been hired here, I am "stuck" at this level at this pay rate for as long as I work here, with no thanks for any of the work I do. So, I'm back to jobhunting! I didn't really like this job all that much anyway, but I still have no idea what I want to do or what my skill set allows me to do. Yay for arts degrees!

want4rain
January 30th, 2008, 07:18 PM
my husband started Nortel fresh out of college just MONTHS before they started their MASSIVE layoffs. we know how you feel. :)

-ash

Gibbons
January 30th, 2008, 07:25 PM
I think everyone does to some extent - I'm just being whiney and had to rant to SOMEONE when I was told how things are

Phooey. Job hunting sucks.

Frenchy
January 30th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Wow ! I don't see how their employees want to come in in the morning , to a dead end job ! I agree with you , you need to find another job !

Writing4Fun
January 31st, 2008, 07:54 AM
I don't know if it's legal to never give a raise. You might want to contact the labour board to find out. They have to give at least a cost of living increase, don't they?

"we only acknowledge mistakes made, because we "don't have the manpower to thank you for doing your job" Sorry, I had to laugh at this one. It sounds like misery loves company, and these people are so miserable with their own lives, that they've decided to make their employees' lives just as unhappy. You should ask them if the real problem isn't manpower, but rather that their wives aren't giving them the "attention" they want at home. :laughing:

Gibbons
January 31st, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hahah! I like that... Definitely should go home to their wives more often.

They do give us raises to counteract cost of living, but apparently it's only gone up 30-some cents in the past 2-3 years. Not my idea of a good time.

ancientgirl
January 31st, 2008, 08:06 PM
Wow, I'm surprised they have anybody working there at all. That sounds horrible! Yeah, I'd be looking for another job too on my days off. Heck, you probably don't even need to give them notice. They don't have the manpower to thank you for a good job, you don't have the inclination to give them notice.