Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Pee Pads

mcgillli
January 30th, 2008, 11:13 AM
My 6 month old Westie (Molly) is ripping up her pee pads and she won't go poo on them (only pee).

Any suggestions as to why she might be doing this and how to correct it?

SolaMio
January 30th, 2008, 07:15 PM
I didn't have any luck with these either. Sola just basically ripped them up and tried to eat them. While we were crate training, I was worried that she was too young to be left in her kennel 3.5 hours (while I was at work before I could take her out again) so I ended up confining her to a small safe area and putting some newspapers down. She mostly ate them too, but it helped make the transition to crate training (mostly) smoothly. The pads seemed like a fantastic idea in theory but in practice didn't really work out for me. My mother in law however swears by them for housetraining. :shrug:

jessi76
January 30th, 2008, 07:23 PM
why are you using pads to begin with? (i'm genuinely curious, not trying to insult you for using pee pads) if we know why you need to use them we may have better suggestions.

I'd train the dog to use them just as you'd train any other behavior. reward the dog for using it. positive reinforcement.

I don't use pads or paper to housebreak. I simply take the dog out constantly to prevent accidents and to reward the dog for going outside.

if you HAVE to use pads, have you used a frame for the pad? frames are sold to hold the pad. this may discourage the dog from shredding it up.