Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Where to buy truckload of topsoil?

CearaQC
January 30th, 2008, 09:21 AM
Say I wanted to have a couple of truckloads of topsoil delivered.

Who in the heck would I even call to ask how much it would cost?

Been doing some gardening research and got TONS of new ideas on how to spruce up our property, but need lots of new soil dumped in an area where I can build in some steps with large flat stones I dug up on site and fill with propagated flowers that I already have. Relatively little to no cost, except for the soil.

Suggestions?

JanM
January 30th, 2008, 09:30 AM
Do you have nurseries in your area? You could also contact a landscaper - I'm sure either one would deliver it. In my area there are individuals who do handyman-type work around the house and some of them also will deliver topsoil. That's who I've used. Out here, the cost of the actual soil is dirt cheap but the cost of delivery is outrageous! It pays to get as much on the truck as you can because the delivery charge is a flat rate...

Good luck!

clm
January 30th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Somebody is jumping the gun a little.....getting spring fever already. Lot's of snow and cold yet to go.:laughing:

SARAH
January 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM
I could use some soil too, and sod! All the bushes I dug up and threw out (gave away that is) last year, now the space will be covered in nice, gren grass, and :fingrescr tht the dogs won't dig holes (yeah right :frustrated: )

CearaQC
January 30th, 2008, 11:58 AM
I'm not even sure we can afford it, but my mental plans are firm. lol

If I have to I'll dig all around the property and carry buckets of dirt, which will take all spring, summer and fall. :laughing:

There's an area just a bit past the driveway and behind our homemade greenhouse we built 2 years ago. There's a slope there but right in front of it, several years ago, someone came along and dumped rocky junk soil in mounds and the people living here just left it all there which is now covered with grass.

I want to knock all that down a bit and regain the slope. But then there's another problem. Behind the trees which are behind the mounds there are tons of rocks, leaves and tree branches all thrown back there. That might actually make some good foundations, but needs a good deal of dirt to cover it up.

Maybe I'm getting too over my head. But as it is now, it looks like hillbilly town over there and I desperately want to fix it up.

Last winter's pic. Tons more snow this year. :sad:

I also want to make a homemade pergola beside the greenhouse and grow runner beans and climbing flowers on it. On the other side of the greenhouse is a strawberry plot which has gone bonkers and needs to be all dug up and replanted.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k29/Ceara_QC/snow010.jpg

JanM
January 30th, 2008, 03:02 PM
Well, you sure have your work cut out for you! It should be fun too...

Last year I removed the rockery I had built the year before and took all the trees and plants that I had put in the back lawn out so the dogs would have more free space to play. Finding homes for all the plants was quite a challenge but they all went to promising places :D

Good luck with your landscaping!