Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Interesting Facts About the Human Body

rainbow
January 30th, 2008, 03:41 AM
I have no idea how many of these are true. :o

The human body is a machine that is full of wonder. This collection of human body facts will leave you wondering why in the heck we were designed the way we were:

-Scientists say the higher your I.Q., the more you dream.

-The largest cell in the human body is the female egg and the smallest is the male sperm.

-You use 200 muscles to take one step.

-The average woman is 5 inches shorter than the average man.

-Your big toes have two bones each while the rest have three.

-A pair of human feet contains 250,000 sweat glands.

-A full bladder is roughly the size of a soft ball.

-The acid in your stomach is strong enough to dissolve razor blades.

-The human brain cell can hold 5 times as much information as the Encyclopedia Britannica.

-It takes the food seven seconds to get from your mouth to your stomach.

-The average human dream lasts 2-3 seconds.

-Men without hair on their chests are more likely to get cirrhosis of the liver than men with hair.

-At the moment of conception, you spent about half an hour as a single cell.

-There is about one trillion bacteria on each of your feet.

-Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.

-The enamel in your teeth is the hardest substance in your body.

-Your teeth start growing 6 months before you are born.

-When you are looking at someone you love, your pupils dilate, and they do the same when you are looking at someone you hate.

-Your thumb is the same length as your nose.

At this very moment I know full well you are putting this last fact to the test. :laughing:

CearaQC
January 30th, 2008, 07:53 AM
-Your thumb is the same length as your nose.

At this very moment I know full well you are putting this last fact to the test. :laughing:

HAHA Busted... I sooo fell for that one.

krdahmer
January 30th, 2008, 10:31 AM
:laughing: Me too! (But it's true... so cool.:cool:)

want4rain
January 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
so is that nose thing suppose to be with your thumb pointed at your nose or laid out next to it??

my husband has a long fat..... thumb!!

-ashley

SARAH
January 30th, 2008, 11:19 AM
Hmm, actually, I didn't try.

Yet.

Masha
January 30th, 2008, 09:14 PM

Thats it? no way...:confused: when i wake up i can remember long vivid dreams, definitely more then 2-3 seconds, unless in their average they looked at people who dont dream at all....

meg4050
January 30th, 2008, 09:50 PM
-The average woman is 5 inches shorter than the average man.

I WISH! I'm definitley not average :sad: I'm pretty sure I'm taller than most guys I know!

Byrd
January 30th, 2008, 11:07 PM
HAHA I'm a foot shorter than hubby.

My dreams are definitely longer than 2-3 seconds.... I have extremely vivid (sometimes think they have really happened) dreams and my IQ is 130!!! So perhaps that's proof of that fact.

What about the 'you can't lick your own elbow' thing?

jiorji
January 30th, 2008, 11:55 PM
-Scientists say the higher your I.Q., the more you dream.

wooohooo then i am SMART!!
but i don't know about the second one. I have pretty lengthy dreams in half an hour naps. And in a full night I can have a dream consiting of at least 3 different story lines.

smart i tell ya!!:laughing:

I don't think those 2 are accurate. No way can science clearly monitor subconscious activity like dreams.

growler~GateKeeper
January 31st, 2008, 01:38 AM

Is that the average dream or the average human :laughing: :crazy:

-Your body gives off enough heat in 30 minutes to bring half a gallon of water to a boil.

This for me is totally NOT true - I'm always cold brrrr

CearaQC
January 31st, 2008, 07:02 AM
Almost wish I could channel my body heat into something more useful like boiling water. :laughing: I am a portable heater, or so hubby calls me.

I'm about 2 inches taller than hubby. He doesn't mind tho.

As far as dreaming, well they may be right. I heavily studied and read everything I could get my hands on regarding sleep, dream states and "mystical experiences" to try to find an explanation about 6 years ago. Scientists and regular people have tested others in the dream/sleep labs to know. :laughing: There are 4 basic brain states. Alpha, Beta, Delta, and Theta. Brains and hearts emit an electromagnetic field, and that's why they use EEG and EKGs on people. In sleep labs they put many electrodes on the skull to pick up the brain activity. Now science hasn't been able to actually see what people dream about, but they can certainly tell when dreams are most likely to occur. They've tested these brain states and EEG readings on people that are able, through meditation techniques, to go into any brain state desired at will. With practice, you can have the body asleep and the mind totally awake. It's an amazing feeling.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_waves

In dreams, time does not exist. You only know time passes when you are "conscious" to "reality." So an eternity to you in a dream may only be a couple of seconds. A good series of books that discusses personal dream time experiences are the Robert Monroe books. He recalls a session where it felt like at least a few hours, if not more. Upon awakening, only 5 minutes had passed. And Monroe was very organized and always documented his experiences, noting the weather conditions and other bits of info.

Plus there is a stage of sleep that can be sometimes confused with dreaming - and that is hypnogogic imagery. This usually occurs in the between stages... not really awake and not really asleep. If your focus is good and you are not overly tired, the hypnogogic imagery can be tons of fun, for you can control everything that occurs. It's like your imagination can do anything and play it out for you as if you were watching a movie, or you can participate. It is a normal brain state.

Hypnogogic Images

Between being awake and falling asleep, your mind enters the hypnogogic phase. In this stage you begin to lose touch with the world around you without showing the physiological stages of sleep. Pictures form inside our heads like still photographs and although you may have never noticed them, they are there.

If you think you have never experienced this phenomenon, you will probably recall a time when you were listening to a song. Not a song from the radio, but on playing inside your head. You can actually hear the song playing, but once you become aware of this, it escapes you.

Becoming aware of these images is extremely difficult, mostly because once we can see we are becoming aware we get excited and drop out of it. So the skill we need to try and develop is to remain relaxed and stay under control while you enjoy these images. The main element to gaining control over these images is to watch the process as it unfolds. Let yourself drift off to sleep while allowing a part of your mind to watch the process unfold. This tends to lead to prolonged periods of wakefulness in the beginner, so you shouldn't try this every night unless you can afford to lose some sleep.

A lot of people put too much energy into watching these images, so keep your eyes relaxed. Sometimes in the beginning stages we mistake pictures from our own imagination for hypnogogic imagery. But this is a conscious effort, just like we would imaging something during the day. The point that has to be made about a hypnogogic image is that it just suddenly appears, and there is no mistaking between it and something you put there consciously.

When you realize that something has appeared, don't get too excited, and don't try to hold onto it or prolong it. Just let it appear and go away. This process usually takes a bit of practice. As in most lucid dreams, if you don't remain calm it will probably disappear. Do not think that by observing the hypnogogic images that you are somehow creating this state. It happens every night to every one of us, the only thing is that most of us don't pay attention or aren't aware of them. After a few of these images, you will probably drift off to sleep.

http://library.thinkquest.org/11189/nfoccur.htm